U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 11,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
You're not the only one who feels this way. I moved away from Orlando because I wanted the vibrant culture that comes with big city life. One of the main reasons Orlando lacks the sort of culture you seek is that there aren't many natives. Everyone is from elsewhere. The people who stay don't want something different/better, so the cultural growth in Orlando remains stagnant. The people who want something better move. Educated people who appreciate culture don't move to Orlando because it lacks museums/walkable communities/public transportation/etc.

Sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just look at the vast majority of people who post on this board asking questions about moving here. They are not the educated, philanthropic class that would greatly improve the community of Central Florida. They are people who have run out of options in other places. And even the educated people who post about moving here are not at all interested in living in walkable communities with thriving museums, theatres, etc. They are more concerned with their proximity to theme parks.

We just left that area, and we haven't looked back since.
We don't miss the weather, or the theme park traffic, the generic strip malls filled with chains...and it's just "dirty". Once you leave Disney and start driving around you will see it for yourself. Winter Park is nice but CROWDED. Everything there is SO crowded and poorly designed. Everything is a fight, whether it's driving somewhere or running a simple errand. It's also expensive. The county does a poor job in keeping the medians clean and well maintained too.
You're so right, people run out of options, think life is a theme park, and are willfully ignorant to their surroundings. There is no sense of giving back to the area and creating a uniqueness or culture.
We haven't missed Publix either.. Orlando and most of the State is getting destroyed by developers who have no investment or loyalty to it(they are probably from some place else ) and are only interested in the "next best thing" to attract more people and make more money, paving Paradise. Orlando is a great place for tourists, investors and people who work low wage jobs who like to sweat ALL THE TIME and use their AC all year long.
Do your research before you move. It is true that your attitude and perception of things matter, but sometimes it is what is it. Reality will eventually bite! Tolls, traffic, heat, poor foresight on city planning, overcrowded everything, poor schools, and poorly educated people. Every place is NOT created equally, it isn't the SAME everywhere. People who say otherwise are in complete denial and(or) trapped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 AM

113 posts, read 122,864 times
I think you have to be careful with your situation but FL can be good. It is a difficult place to raise a family. Schools are a bit rough. It is also a bit challenging to find a career. I would say do not move there until you have a job lined up. If however, you are at or near retirement age and bring your money with you it can be a fantastic place to live. Some points ... traffic and cost of housing there is nothing (nothing nothing nothing) compared with DC or Boston. Schools are so-so. There are some great colleges. Just do your homework.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 AM

11,649 posts, read 8,357,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg1212 View Post
We don't miss the weather, or the theme park traffic, the generic strip malls filled with chains...and it's just "dirty". Once you leave Disney and start driving around you will see it for yourself. Winter Park is nice but CROWDED. Everything there is SO crowded and poorly designed. Everything is a fight, whether it's driving somewhere or running a simple errand. It's also expensive. The county does a poor job in keeping the medians clean and well maintained too.
You're so right, people run out of options, think life is a theme park, and are willfully ignorant to their surroundings. There is no sense of giving back to the area and creating a uniqueness or culture.
We haven't missed Publix either.. Orlando and most of the State is getting destroyed by developers who have no investment or loyalty to it(they are probably from some place else ) and are only interested in the "next best thing" to attract more people and make more money, paving Paradise. Orlando is a great place for tourists, investors and people who work low wage jobs who like to sweat ALL THE TIME and use their AC all year long.
Do your research before you move. It is true that your attitude and perception of things matter, but sometimes it is what is it. Reality will eventually bite! Tolls, traffic, heat, poor foresight on city planning, overcrowded everything, poor schools, and poorly educated people. Every place is NOT created equally, it isn't the SAME everywhere. People who say otherwise are in complete denial and(or) trapped.
...Okay to each his/her own, but I need to address a few things here:

1) Theme Park traffic: The theme parks aren't really in Orlando. Unless you work there, you won't be seeing any of it at all.
2) Dirty: Where?? OBT? The slums? Every city has this. Most of Orlando is gorgeous: Markham Woods, Eola Heights, all of Windermere/Dr. Phillips, Mount Dora, Downtown Sanford, UCF, etc...
3) Winter Park: It's crowded? Really? Winter Park is practically in the core of Orlando. It is MUCH less crowded than most comparable areas in other cities. How is it poorly designed?
4) Tourists tend to go to Buena Vista... I barely consider that to be Orlando. If you live here, you'll seldom see them. As for investors and people working low-wage jobs, I don't fit in either category, nor do my colleagues. Plenty of people here work regular, decent-paying jobs.
5) Poorly educated people: I have to wonder about this one, considering UCF has roughly 60,000 students and Valencia some 40,000. Seems like quite an education center if you ask me.
6) Poor foresight on city planning: Really? Have you seen how well the area has been growing the past 10 years?

The Orlando metro has over 2,000,000 people. Most of your issues are problems that exist in every large city, and in most cases, are much worse than what we have here.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,804,575 times
I don't get the lack of educated people thing. I mean, it seems like most of the people I've been meeting lately are engineers or nurses.

Tourist traffic is an issue if you choose to live in Dr. Phillips, which makes Sand Lake your main road to get into or out of the area.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I don't get the lack of educated people thing. I mean, it seems like most of the people I've been meeting lately are engineers or nurses.

Tourist traffic is an issue if you choose to live in Dr. Phillips, which makes Sand Lake your main road to get into or out of the area.
Once someone gets a bad taste in their mouths about a place the entire place, its people and everything else is subject to attack. Probably was one of the many who figured life in Orlando would be like living a dream. Orlando has gotten too big for that. They should have tried it 25, 30 years ago when it was a different place.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,785,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

I live in DP and I can typically avoid Sand Lake to get most places. It helps that I live on the north side, but I don't encounter traffic very often.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM

20,623 posts, read 20,211,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I live in DP and I can typically avoid Sand Lake to get most places. It helps that I live on the north side, but I don't encounter traffic very often.
Yeah I never found traffic to be bad around Dr. Phillips. You can use Apopka Vineland, Conroy Windermere, or Turkey Lake during rush hour to avoid Sand Lake, but even Sand Lake isn't bad compared to a lot of cities.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM

20,623 posts, read 20,211,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Once someone gets a bad taste in their mouths about a place the entire place, its people and everything else is subject to attack. Probably was one of the many who figured life in Orlando would be like living a dream. Orlando has gotten too big for that. They should have tried it 25, 30 years ago when it was a different place.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:34 AM

604 posts, read 547,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg1212 View Post
This makes me laugh actually. This person has clearly never lived in Chicago, where there really IS traffic, and it really IS dirty! Just drive down the Kennedy and look to the left and right - garbage GALORE. It took us one hour in Chicago to drive 6 measly miles when we wanted to go from our house to Lincoln Park Zoo at Christmas for "Zoo Lights". As I said, it took an entire hour. For 6 miles. We could practically have walked faster. Talk about a "fight" to get somewhere. And it's like that for just about everything. Try going to the store around dinner time - HA! Traffic and a thousand train tracks to try and get over (rush hour trains blocking everything for miles) - it's a joke. And if this person thinks Orlando is expensive, then really and truly, they had better not move to Chicago!

I guess it really does boil down to perspective. If you're used to rural Arkansas (for example), then perhaps Orlando would be perceived as this person does (so I don't discount their perceptions as being false or inaccurate necessarily). But if you're used to Chicago, then it's a paradise here comparatively.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM

146 posts, read 182,937 times
OMG some of the responses I'm reading on this page are so hilariously pompous and arrogant.

Florida tends to have 2 of the worst ppl migrating in and out of the state at any given moment: trashy Ohio-esque losers, and uptight sheltered fools expecting yachts, models, crime free news, and Mickey Mouse.

Both people just need to stay home and better yet, log off of this forum to save yourself from havin to look back in shame at some of the **** you type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando