U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 PM

13 posts, read 10,747 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for anyone else, but my family is doing very well here in the Orlando area.

I live in the town of Windermere, which is 15-20 minutes northeast of Epcot. I never see any tourists unless I go to Disney. I do see cast members in costume at the grocery store, picking up dinner ingredients before heading home. They are incredibly nice. I worked in Universal when I was starting out, too. We smile. We're welcoming and friendly. This is local tourist town culture.

We are not poor, uneducated, or transient. I'm a Texas real estate investor and my husband is a Software Engineer. I have a degree, he has 2. We were both born and raised in Florida and have lived in Orlando for more than a decade.

Where I live there is little traffic except around school opening and closing bells. The schools are good. It's very clean. We have mom and pop restaurants, a family-run movie theatre, a nature preserve with great running trails, and farmer's markets. I still unapologetically love shopping at Publix.

The COL isn't bad, especially if you have good credit and some cash saved up. We purchased a 3100sqft house in a luxury neighborhood for $450k. My loan rate is 2% so it's $9k/year or $750/month. (This is the same as my college dorm rent in Tampa 2002.)

We give back to our community with volunteer hours and donations. We care about where we live and the people who live here. "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 PM

20,656 posts, read 20,226,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
OMG some of the responses I'm reading on this page are so hilariously pompous and arrogant.

Florida tends to have 2 of the worst ppl migrating in and out of the state at any given moment: trashy Ohio-esque losers, and uptight sheltered fools expecting yachts, models, crime free news, and Mickey Mouse.

Both people just need to stay home and better yet, log off of this forum to save yourself from havin to look back in shame at some of the **** you type.
You should look in the mirror before you call people pompous, arrogant and losers how can you be so blind or in such self denial?

Old 07-14-2015, 08:07 AM

782 posts, read 1,192,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt&Lime View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but my family is doing very well here in the Orlando area.

I live in the town of Windermere, which is 15-20 minutes northeast of Epcot. I never see any tourists unless I go to Disney. I do see cast members in costume at the grocery store, picking up dinner ingredients before heading home. They are incredibly nice. I worked in Universal when I was starting out, too. We smile. We're welcoming and friendly. This is local tourist town culture.

We are not poor, uneducated, or transient. I'm a Texas real estate investor and my husband is a Software Engineer. I have a degree, he has 2. We were both born and raised in Florida and have lived in Orlando for more than a decade.

Where I live there is little traffic except around school opening and closing bells. The schools are good. It's very clean. We have mom and pop restaurants, a family-run movie theatre, a nature preserve with great running trails, and farmer's markets. I still unapologetically love shopping at Publix.

The COL isn't bad, especially if you have good credit and some cash saved up. We purchased a 3100sqft house in a luxury neighborhood for $450k. My loan rate is 2% so it's $9k/year or $750/month. (This is the same as my college dorm rent in Tampa 2002.)

We give back to our community with volunteer hours and donations. We care about where we live and the people who live here. "Be the change you want to see in the world."
This is almost exactly my experience as well. We live in the Horizon West part of Windermere -- my husband is a systems engineer and I'm an editor (he has one degree and I have two), and he makes more here than he did working in the same position for the federal government in DC (and then when you factor in no state income tax, it is a considerable raise). All of our neighbors are college educated and work in professional careers. It is a more relaxed pace of life, and having everything right at your fingertips (plus lower cost of living than where we came from) means we really can have the life of leisure that most people dream of.

Speaking of mom and pop restaurants, I'm really excited about Caprino's opening up. Can't wait to try it!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 AM

29 posts, read 24,379 times
Thank you Salt&Lime and EditorJul for bringing some positivity to this thread!!! It's making me super excited about our move in a few weeks ��

Old 07-14-2015, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Default Orlando

To the OP does have some salient arguments. I lived in Orlando for over 3 years part of the time on the east side near to UCF and the other half right behind Universal Studios in the premier neighborhood of Doctor Phillips.

Restaurants- for the most part Orlando is lacking in that there are many restaurants but usually they are franchise type of deal. Many of you will respond with what about Vietnam town that is about it in regards to large scale non franchise restaurants.

Culture- there is culture but in the end Orlando exists because it was once a small country town that Disney developed bought the land for cheap and moved a bunch of people from other places. Most of the people you meet in Orlando will be from somewhere else.

Houses- It is true homes are built extremely cheaply in central florida so watch out where you buy and the builder.

Job- The unemployment rate is low but the jobs leave much to be desired. Majority of jobs are low wage paying theme park, mall, and retail. But, there is a growing Medical city. The moral of the story is to come here with a job first. If you work in Nursing, medicine or any other medical field you will find the job market here a piece of cake especially if you are bilingual. If you plan to work in Human resources or any allied business, or non profits I would make sure I had a job beforehand. Your wages in the medical field will probably be lower than what you were paid compared to the Northeast but you should find that your money goes further due to low living costs (gas is cheap here and so is housing low taxes but high insurance rates

Rent/Housing costs- I am not sure where the OP lived before but Orlando has pretty cheap housing. You could even live outside of Orlando and commute in for less than 600 for a one bedroom. Housing costs are pretty low compared to Miami and are comparable with that of Tampa and Jacksonville. 300k buys you a pretty decent home in Orlando also.

Crime- there is a crime problem in Orlando. Actually Orlando has ranked pretty high in levels of violent crime in the past few years. Though I never suffered at the hands of any criminals the crime is pretty concentrated in Pine Hills, and Metro West neighborhoods. Please use crime tracker when choosing an Apartment!

Other things- Orlando is a decent place to live. It does have horrible traffic namely on I-4, and they could do a better job of planning. But, otherwise it is a great place to move to and bring your business. But, do not come here expecting high culture though we do have a new museum and some non franchise restaurants. This is not New York or even Austin for that matter. Orlando is not weird or different instead what makes orlando beautiful is that it is like everywhere else in the United States and that you get a small piece of Americana. (we also have one of the highest amounts of planned communities such as; Celebration, Baldwin park, reunion,...) These communities look like tv sets, of leave it to beaver. Just do not expect Orlando to be new york, or even Kansas City this is a relatively new city that is situated in the middle of the state.

Florida- Florida as a whole is a growth state where little is invested in the people who live here. We survive by growth. Orlando is no different even in the few years I have been here I have seen the city expand and expand. This is great for some but makes others uncomfortable. There is a growing Haitian, Hispanic, and Caribbean community. If these things make you feel uncomfortable then Orlando will not be the place for you. And according to most data Orlando will similar to Miami be a majority, minority city in the coming years.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:38 PM

202 posts, read 178,114 times
I've lived in Orlando my whole life. If you have a young family Lake Mary & Oviedo are good safe areas with great schools to raise children.

However, if you do not have a young family or school districts are not that important to you I wouldn't recommend it. Downtown Orlando has become pretty ratchet, barely any restaurants just a bunch of bland bars/clubs of people getting wasted and starting fights. Traffic has always been bad but it's getting worse and worse. Thankfully I do not have to use I4 to commute to work anymore but man it's a complete nightmare if you do.

The weather here June-September is HORRIBLE. I know most everywhere in the US has it periods throughout the year that are not pleasant, but man 100 degrees with 100% humidity pretty much 4 months out of the year with zero ocean breeze sucks.

If you are dead set on moving to the Orlando long term I would definitely suggest buying as rental prices here have been skyrocketing the past few years.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 PM

8,964 posts, read 7,003,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrazykool3000 View Post
To the OP does have some salient arguments. I lived in Orlando for over 3 years part of the time on the east side near to UCF and the other half right behind Universal Studios in the premier neighborhood of Doctor Phillips.

Restaurants- for the most part Orlando is lacking in that there are many restaurants but usually they are franchise type of deal. Many of you will respond with what about Vietnam town that is about it in regards to large scale non franchise restaurants.

Culture- there is culture but in the end Orlando exists because it was once a small country town that Disney developed bought the land for cheap and moved a bunch of people from other places. Most of the people you meet in Orlando will be from somewhere else. TRUE.

Houses- It is true homes are built extremely cheaply in central florida so watch out where you buy and the builder. INCORRECT.

Job- The unemployment rate is low but the jobs leave much to be desired. Majority of jobs are low wage paying theme park, mall, and retail. But, there is a growing Medical city. The moral of the story is to come here with a job first. If you work in Nursing, medicine or any other medical field you will find the job market here a piece of cake especially if you are bilingual. If you plan to work in Human resources or any allied business, or non profits I would make sure I had a job beforehand. Your wages in the medical field will probably be lower than what you were paid compared to the Northeast but you should find that your money goes further due to low living costs (gas is cheap here and so is housing low taxes but high insurance rates

Rent/Housing costs- I am not sure where the OP lived before but Orlando has pretty cheap housing. You could even live outside of Orlando and commute in for less than 600 for a one bedroom. Housing costs are pretty low compared to Miami and are comparable with that of Tampa and Jacksonville. 300k buys you a pretty decent home in Orlando also.

Crime- there is a crime problem in Orlando. Actually Orlando has ranked pretty high in levels of violent crime in the past few years. Though I never suffered at the hands of any criminals the crime is pretty concentrated in Pine Hills, and Metro West neighborhoods. Please use crime tracker when choosing an Apartment!

Other things- Orlando is a decent place to live. It does have horrible traffic namely on I-4, and they could do a better job of planning. But, otherwise it is a great place to move to and bring your business. But, do not come here expecting high culture though we do have a new museum and some non franchise restaurants. This is not New York or even Austin for that matter. Orlando is not weird or different instead what makes orlando beautiful is that it is like everywhere else in the United States and that you get a small piece of Americana. (we also have one of the highest amounts of planned communities such as; Celebration, Baldwin park, reunion,...) These communities look like tv sets, of leave it to beaver. Just do not expect Orlando to be new york, or even Kansas City this is a relatively new city that is situated in the middle of the state.

Florida- Florida as a whole is a growth state where little is invested in the people who live here. We survive by growth. Orlando is no different even in the few years I have been here I have seen the city expand and expand. This is great for some but makes others uncomfortable. There is a growing Haitian, Hispanic, and Caribbean community. If these things make you feel uncomfortable then Orlando will not be the place for you. And according to most data Orlando will similar to Miami be a majority, minority city in the coming years.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:49 PM

146 posts, read 183,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You should look in the mirror before you call people pompous, arrogant and losers how can you be so blind or in such self denial?
I keep it real. Florida is no picnic and I'm in no denial about that. But the sweeping statements people are making in this thread are exactly what I said they were: stupid.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:24 AM

11,670 posts, read 8,366,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrazykool3000 View Post

Restaurants- for the most part Orlando is lacking in that there are many restaurants but usually they are franchise type of deal. Many of you will respond with what about Vietnam town that is about it in regards to large scale non franchise restaurants. No, not really. It's not NYC, but considering we have Norman's, Chez Vincent, Victoria & Alberts, Charlie's, Vito's (The list goes on), I wouldn't call it "lacking." My wife and I have no problems finding new, classy dining spots.

Culture- there is culture but in the end Orlando exists because it was once a small country town that Disney developed bought the land for cheap and moved a bunch of people from other places. Most of the people you meet in Orlando will be from somewhere else. True

Houses- It is true homes are built extremely cheaply in central florida so watch out where you buy and the builder. Huh??? Our house was built in 1987, did not cost all that much, and is extremely well-built. My only gripe is that it uses a septic tank as opposed to sewer.

Job- The unemployment rate is low but the jobs leave much to be desired. Majority of jobs are low wage paying theme park, mall, and retail. But, there is a growing Medical city. The moral of the story is to come here with a job first. If you work in Nursing, medicine or any other medical field you will find the job market here a piece of cake especially if you are bilingual. If you plan to work in Human resources or any allied business, or non profits I would make sure I had a job beforehand. Your wages in the medical field will probably be lower than what you were paid compared to the Northeast but you should find that your money goes further due to low living costs (gas is cheap here and so is housing low taxes but high insurance rates Meh... I've never had any issues here. I'm in engineering and secured a decent job years before graduation. My wife was making over $50k/year with just an A.S. in nursing. She now has her BSN and has her own business. Most of my friends do pretty well, too, even the blue-collar ones.

Rent/Housing costs- I am not sure where the OP lived before but Orlando has pretty cheap housing. You could even live outside of Orlando and commute in for less than 600 for a one bedroom. Housing costs are pretty low compared to Miami and are comparable with that of Tampa and Jacksonville. 300k buys you a pretty decent home in Orlando also. True

Crime- there is a crime problem in Orlando. Actually Orlando has ranked pretty high in levels of violent crime in the past few years. Though I never suffered at the hands of any criminals the crime is pretty concentrated in Pine Hills, and Metro West neighborhoods. Please use crime tracker when choosing an Apartment! Yes, Orlando is ranked high, but bear in mind that for the most part, crime is gang-related and pretty much limited to a few small areas, notably Pine Hills, the neighborhoods along OBT and John Young, and Colonial from OBT to Parramore. The rest of the metro is relatively safe. Also, I've never had any issues in Pine Hills, and I do go there quite a bit to do my grocery shopping.

Other things- Orlando is a decent place to live. It does have horrible traffic namely on I-4, and they could do a better job of planning. But, otherwise it is a great place to move to and bring your business. But, do not come here expecting high culture though we do have a new museum and some non franchise restaurants. This is not New York or even Austin for that matter. Orlando is not weird or different instead what makes orlando beautiful is that it is like everywhere else in the United States and that you get a small piece of Americana. (we also have one of the highest amounts of planned communities such as; Celebration, Baldwin park, reunion,...) These communities look like tv sets, of leave it to beaver. Just do not expect Orlando to be new york, or even Kansas City this is a relatively new city that is situated in the middle of the state. I4 is completely avoidable for the most part. But you are right. Planning here is terrible.

Yep, pretty fair assessment of Orlando in general, aside from the houses and the jobs.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 10,747 times
Things you can you do to make where you live better today:

Attend local meetings. Vote. Volunteer. Donate money and/or goods. Pick up wayward litter and trash. Recycle. Support local restaurants and tip well. Practice good hygeine. Be polite, use greetings, and hold the door open for others. Drive carefully. Keep your car, home, and yard in good shape. Get to know your neighbors and look out for one another. Help others whenever you can.

Be part of the solution rather than the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando