Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
From stuff mentioned in another post by the OP, I believe they live out in Poinciana. So…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Yup, explains alot.
Makes sense. Live in the crappy outskirts and you'll never see the good sides to Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOWPB View Post
So many inaccuracies in your post it's not even funny. I live in Orlando. You're entitled to your opinion, but some of the things you mention are flat out nonsense.

You'd only have to drive up and down Mills Avenue, or take a trip to Thornton Park, to find a great food culture, and I can tell you, Cracker Barrel and Applebees it is not.

Culture? Orlando lacks culture the same way Las Vegas does. It was conquered, and subsequently grown around a very high profile tourist destination. This is not a very historical city. Much of Florida is like this. This state is built on tourism. .

Just stop.
I'd argue that Orlando is actually more cultured and multidimensional than Vegas is for residents imo

Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
You can't fix stupid. Just saying.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 49,460 times
I'm glad all of the usual trolls rolled out with their negative comments. It really says all you need to know. But don't take it from me.

Travel and Leisure rated Orlando one of the top 10 "Rudest Cities in America". But who believes Travel and Leisure anyway?

America's Rudest Cities- Page 11 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Oh wait and there's that other website...what's it called? Oh I think it's City-Data. Orlando crime is double, and in some years, triple the national average. Hmm.

//www.city-data.com/city/Orlando-Florida.html

"Traffic is everywhere. I love it. Why I just sit in my car and listen to the radio and wile away the hours." Really? According the Orlando Sentinel Orlando drivers rank 6th in the nation among the worst drivers.

Report: Florida drivers sixth worst in the nation - Orlando Sentinel

Nearly every retort to my original post was a comparison to other cities and their problems. I don't live in New York, Los Angeles, Vegas, etc. I live here. My post was about here and for people who may be considering moving here.

Expect the tone of the above responses to give you every indication of what to expect if you decide to move here. I don't care what neighborhood you live in. I could cite many more sites and articles but I won't bother. I'm not here to argue with trolls.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualcaster View Post
I'm glad all of the usual trolls rolled out with their negative comments. It really says all you need to know. But don't take it from me.

Travel and Leisure rated Orlando one of the top 10 "Rudest Cities in America". But who believes Travel and Leisure anyway?

[url=http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-rudest-cities/11]According the Orlando Sentinel Orlando drivers rank 6th in the nation among the worst drivers.

Looks like you didn't read the article… it says that FLORIDA drivers are the sixth worst overall in the nation, not ORLANDO drivers as you stated here.

You site the Travel and Leisure site, and yet the same web site also rated Orlando as #18 for the Friendliest People:

America's Friendliest People- Page 19 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

According to the City-Data web site you linked to, Orlando's crime rate has been decreasing significantly over the past decade. That said, I believe you mentioned in another thread that you live in Poinciana -- which doesn't have an Orlando mailing address, so technically the crime data you're citing isn't relevant for where you live. Many of the people in here who live in the Orlando metro area don't live in Orlando proper. The crime data for where I live in the Orlando Metro is 70.8 compared to the national average of 298.9 -- in other words, much safer than the national average. I think that there are many other people on here who can also chime in with the low crime rates in their towns in the Orlando metro area:

//www.city-data.com/city/Windermere-Florida.html

You also seem to equate spending time in traffic with safety of drivers. The two are not the same metric.

Here's the list of the top 10 cities with the most traffic gridlock. (Hint: Orlando doesn't make the list)
The Most Traffic-Jammed Cities In The U.S. - Forbes

And the top 10 cities with the most reckless drivers. (Hint: Orlando doesn't make the list)
U.S. Cities With The Most Reckless Drivers - Forbes

We get it…you made a mistake and moved somewhere without doing research. Many people do that. But trying to smear an entire area because you didn't do proper research and are having relocation regrets is pretty dishonest for people who are trying to do proper research.

Also misreporting information isn't helpful, and shows that lack of proper research skills is something that you may still need to work on for wherever you decide to go next.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Looks like you didn't read the article… it says that FLORIDA drivers are the sixth worst overall in the nation, not ORLANDO drivers as you stated here.

You site the Travel and Leisure site, and yet the same web site also rated Orlando as #18 for the Friendliest People:

America's Friendliest People- Page 19 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

According to the City-Data web site you linked to, Orlando's crime rate has been decreasing significantly over the past decade. That said, I believe you mentioned in another thread that you live in Poinciana -- which doesn't have an Orlando mailing address, so technically the crime data you're citing isn't relevant for where you live. Many of the people in here who live in the Orlando metro area don't live in Orlando proper. The crime data for where I live in the Orlando Metro is 70.8 compared to the national average of 298.9 -- in other words, much safer than the national average. I think that there are many other people on here who can also chime in with the low crime rates in their towns in the Orlando metro area:

//www.city-data.com/city/Windermere-Florida.html

You also seem to equate spending time in traffic with safety of drivers. The two are not the same metric.

Here's the list of the top 10 cities with the most traffic gridlock. (Hint: Orlando doesn't make the list)
The Most Traffic-Jammed Cities In The U.S. - Forbes

And the top 10 cities with the most reckless drivers. (Hint: Orlando doesn't make the list)
U.S. Cities With The Most Reckless Drivers - Forbes

We get it…you made a mistake and moved somewhere without doing research. Many people do that. But trying to smear an entire area because you didn't do proper research and are having relocation regrets is pretty dishonest for people who are trying to do proper research.

Also misreporting information isn't helpful, and shows that lack of proper research skills is something that you may still need to work on for wherever you decide to go next.
Subjective studies such as the friendliest people and the most reckless drivers are useless in the eyes on an individual if said individual has had local experiences that contradict the studies. Traffic gridlock studies are useless for those who have never sat in traffic for hours in DC, Boston, NYC or the like. Crime studies also evaluated differently depending on from where you moved.

Each individual will see things differently and views will definitely change over time. Some will same Orlando is getting better with age and others will say the city is overrun with lowlifes and minimum wage jobs. The truth usually is somewhere in the middle.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 AM

24,405 posts, read 26,951,108 times
The only people who take these articles seriously are ones who have never traveled much. It doesn't surprise me the OP had a bad time, just look at his attitude, who would want to be friends with that?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:04 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:

Oh wait and there's that other website...what's it called? Oh I think it's City-Data. Orlando crime is double, and in some years, triple the national average. Hmm.

"Traffic is everywhere. I love it. Why I just sit in my car and listen to the radio and wile away the hours." Really? According the Orlando Sentinel Orlando drivers rank 6th in the nation among the worst drivers.

Nearly every retort to my original post was a comparison to other cities and their problems. I don't live in New York, Los Angeles, Vegas, etc. I live here. My post was about here and for people who may be considering moving here.

Expect the tone of the above responses to give you every indication of what to expect if you decide to move here. I don't care what neighborhood you live in. I could cite many more sites and articles but I won't bother. I'm not here to argue with trolls.
It's really too bad you can't see all the good advice/constructive criticism that was given to you. We were only trying to help, instead you have a bad attitude and turn it around on us by calling us trolls. It really says all you need to know.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:46 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The only people who take these articles seriously are ones who have never traveled much. It doesn't surprise me the OP had a bad time, just look at his attitude, who would want to be friends with that?
Apparently college undergrads... ?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:

I live in the Orlando area. There are ways around traffic. Sometimes they require paying a toll.
No major crime in my area.
I find people here to be very friendly. Sometimes you get what you give in that respect.

Frankly it sounds like you didn't think things through, didn't research, and came here with expectations that had no basis in fact. But that's everyone else's fault, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando