Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM

17,188 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I live in the Orlando area. There are ways around traffic. Sometimes they require paying a toll.
No major crime in my area.
I find people here to be very friendly. Sometimes you get what you give in that respect.

Frankly it sounds like you didn't think things through, didn't research, and came here with expectations that had no basis in fact. But that's everyone else's fault, right?
To an extent... My commute to work forces me to either take I-4 or 436 to 434... Both are horrible during pretty much the entire day.

Other than that, though, you are right. The 408, Turnpike, and 429 all take me wherever I need to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 PM

146 posts, read 220,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualcaster View Post
I'm glad all of the usual trolls rolled out with their negative comments. It really says all you need to know. But don't take it from me.

Travel and Leisure rated Orlando one of the top 10 "Rudest Cities in America". But who believes Travel and Leisure anyway?

America's Rudest Cities- Page 11 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Oh wait and there's that other website...what's it called? Oh I think it's City-Data. Orlando crime is double, and in some years, triple the national average. Hmm.

//www.city-data.com/city/Orlando-Florida.html

"Traffic is everywhere. I love it. Why I just sit in my car and listen to the radio and wile away the hours." Really? According the Orlando Sentinel Orlando drivers rank 6th in the nation among the worst drivers.

Report: Florida drivers sixth worst in the nation - Orlando Sentinel

Nearly every retort to my original post was a comparison to other cities and their problems. I don't live in New York, Los Angeles, Vegas, etc. I live here. My post was about here and for people who may be considering moving here.

Expect the tone of the above responses to give you every indication of what to expect if you decide to move here. I don't care what neighborhood you live in. I could cite many more sites and articles but I won't bother. I'm not here to argue with trolls.
Again, you moved here on a whim, you're old enough to know better, now you're unhappy with yourself and you want to ensure other people feel unhappy too. It's the same old cliche.

Plenty of people move to Orlando and love their lives - usually because they put the time and effort into preparing for the move, knowing what they were getting into, and adapting quick. Unhappy people tend to go onto City Data and smear areas they don't like, usually blaming their misery on their surroundings. You're not really 'warning' anyone; you have an agenda and you want others to doubt the quality of their life, and get into the same "grass is greener" cyclical thinking that you have. And then you whine and cry troll when people call you out on it. I mentioned other cities because I have seen, in almost rehearsed fashion, the same thread you just made in almost every other major city forum on this site, just subsitute a few details. It's funny. It doesn't really become "your opinion" at that point. It starts sounding transparent.

If you wanna change your life, change yourself. Be honest with yourself. Move again, this time with better knowledge. I hate to preach but hey, you were begging for a response when you opened this thread. Sorry if you don't like hearing it.

Last edited by MCOWPB; 01-23-2015 at 09:26 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 26,064 times
Default I agree Orlando and surrounding areas --terrible.

Orlando is terrible. No culture..... by culture, we mean unique and interesting things to see and do...not the amount of transients and immigrants....lol
Here is an example for those who don't get it. Publix on every corner vs regional and community gourmet markets you can't find anywhere else. Publix on every corner vs your local butcher. PUBLIX on every corner vs the bakery that's been there for 50 years that is AMAZINGLY good....because the same little old lady makes the cakes. THAT IS CULTURE. Having all of these things and many more within a mile or two without having to deal with tolls or feeling claustrophobia...is quality of life. Nature trails and parks that are not near 3 lane highways or 45 minutes away.. schools that are within a community and not a "county" where kids have to drive 30 minutes to get to it or get run over by cars on a regular basis.. HISTORICAL Cathedrals and real churches that aren't in a strip mall or old movie theater.
It's only going to get worse people.
The zoning here is horrendous. There is no sense of community. The schools are OVERCROWDED and just awful. The crime is horrendous, the amount of renters and people passing through is scary.
People move here thinking it's some kind of utopia. It isn't. It's Hell on Earth. I have seen the deterioration over the years and it's not going to get better. It's dirty, it's crowded, it's an unhappy stressed out place. This is a great place to visit.. It's geared toward people in vacation mode, not for the communities.
If you're looking for a great place to live, enjoy unique things, visit an art museum or do anything other than sit by a pool, or spend the day at Disney.. then don't bother. The economy here is based on everyone else's economy. It's retail and tourism. No real bones.
Also, the construction quality of homes is AWFUL. ALL of the houses here are on top of one another and neighborhoods here get run down within a few years. The stucco cracks, houses fall apart within a few years. If your neighborhood hasn't gone downhill you're likely a prisoner in your own neighborhood who can't step outside the gates because of what you're surrounded by. Trash.
I have lived all over Florida, and I have lived in other States.
The West coast of FL is the best for a second home or a retired person. I don't recommend Florida at all for raising family, getting a stellar education or getting established. Leaving was the best decision we ever made. Don't look back. Escape while you can. The whole place is sinking!! ESPECIALLY Central Fl. It's one big dump.
I would also like to add, the traffic is going to get worse and so are the tolls. All of these projects are being implemented and expanded as we speak. They do not care about building an interstate in your backyard after you paid300k- 400k for your home. The leaders are worried about the buck. They aren't from here and have nothing invested in this city other than their money and developing more and more to appeal to the blind sheeples who keep moving here without having a clue. There is more to life than hot weather. Which in my opinion is also overrated. Especially when it's hot, humid, bug ridden or wet 10 months out of the year ( exceptions December and January give or take)
The Summers here are misery. And they're long..like almost all year "long"
If you don't mind feeling sticky and looking like you just rolled out of a swamp, if you don't mind people looking sloppy, if you don't mind any of the things mentioned above, then by all means.. Move here. You will love it. Just remember to brush up on your Haitian, New yorican or Puerto Rican Spanish, Portuguese, and Ebonics, English is a second language here.. If you're ethnic and don't fit into any of the above or you do, but don't fit the stereotype here, be prepared for ignorant comments..again that goes back to the lack of education. Also, don't expect to make many friends here. Almost everyone here is distant and fake nice. We have never met and formed any relationships with any of our kids' parents. Everyone here is very transient so they don't get close. Why bother? They are leaving in a few years anyway. There is always Facebook. People from here LOVE to post about how great the weather is here in January.... It's all overcompensation for the misery and loneliness they really feel. But that weather cures all..right? Wrong! Trust me! STAY AWAY! Enough said.
Good luck and I hope you escape soon.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:35 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothankyou2000 View Post
Orlando is terrible. No culture..... by culture, we mean unique and interesting things to see and do...not the amount of transients and immigrants....lol
Here is an example for those who don't get it. Publix on every corner vs regional and community gourmet markets you can't find anywhere else. Publix on every corner vs your local butcher. PUBLIX on every corner vs the bakery that's been there for 50 years that is AMAZINGLY good....because the same little old lady makes the cakes. THAT IS CULTURE. Having all of these things and many more within a mile or two without having to deal with tolls or feeling claustrophobia...is quality of life. Nature trails and parks that are not near 3 lane highways or 45 minutes away.. schools that are within a community and not a "county" where kids have to drive 30 minutes to get to it or get run over by cars on a regular basis.. HISTORICAL Cathedrals and real churches that aren't in a strip mall or old movie theater.
The zoning here is horrendous. There is no sense of community. The schools are OVERCROWDED and just awful. The crime is horrendous, the amount of renters and people passing through is scary.
People move here thinking it's some kind of utopia. It isn't. It's Hell on Earth. I have seen the deterioration over the years and it's not going to get better. It's dirty, it's crowded, it's an unhappy stressed out place. This is a great place to visit.. It's geared toward people in vacation mode, not for the communities.
If you're looking for a great place to live, enjoy unique things, visit an art museum or do anything other than sit by a pool, or spend the day at Disney.. then don't bother. The economy here is based on everyone else's economy. It's retail and tourism. No real bones.
Also, the construction quality of homes is AWFUL. ALL of the houses here are on top of one another and neighborhoods here get run down within a few years. The stucco cracks, houses fall apart within a few years. If your neighborhood hasn't gone downhill you're likely a prisoner in your own neighborhood who can't step outside the gates because of what you're surrounded by. Trash.
The West coast of FL is the best for a second home or a retired person. I don't recommend Florida at all for raising family, getting a stellar education or getting established. Leaving was the best decision we ever made. Don't look back. Escape while you can. The whole place is sinking!! ESPECIALLY Central Fl. It's one big dump.
I would also like to add, the traffic is going to get worse and so are the tolls. All of these projects are being implemented and expanded as we speak. They do not care about building an interstate in your backyard after you paid300k- 400k for your home. The leaders are worried about the buck. They aren't from here and have nothing invested in this city other than their money and developing more and more to appeal to the blind sheeples who keep moving here without having a clue. There is more to life than hot weather. Which in my opinion is also overrated. Especially when it's hot, humid, bug ridden or wet 10 months out of the year ( exceptions December and January give or take)
If you don't mind feeling sticky and looking like you just rolled out of a swamp, if you don't mind people looking sloppy, if you don't mind any of the things mentioned above, then by all means.. Move here. You will love it. Just remember to brush up on your Haitian, New yorican or Puerto Rican Spanish, Portuguese, and Ebonics, English is a second language here.. If you're ethnic and don't fit into any of the above or you do, but don't fit the stereotype here, be prepared for ignorant comments..again that goes back to the lack of education. Also, don't expect to make many friends here. Almost everyone here is distant and fake nice. We have never met and formed any relationships with any of our kids' parents. Everyone here is very transient so they don't get close. Why bother? They are leaving in a few years anyway. There is always Facebook. People from here LOVE to post about how great the weather is here in January.... It's all overcompensation for the misery and loneliness they really feel. But that weather cures all..right? Wrong! Trust me! STAY AWAY! Enough said.
I'm sorry that your life is going the way that it sounds.

I'm not sure where you lived in Orlando, but the community I live in has nearly everything you described (minus the historic churches). Then again, I've enjoyed pretty much everywhere I've lived, including many places the masses don't like (Baltimore, San Antonio, South Florida). I think one's general satisfaction and happiness is reflective of more than just the city they are in.

Better luck wherever you move.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 26,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I'm sorry that your life is going the way that it sounds.

I'm not sure where you lived in Orlando, but the community I live in has nearly everything you described (minus the historic churches). Then again, I've enjoyed pretty much everywhere I've lived, including many places the masses don't like (Baltimore, San Antonio, South Florida). I think one's general satisfaction and happiness is reflective of more than just the city they are in.

Better luck wherever you move.
Haha, I have a great life and I am very satisfied with it. Just because I don't drink the koolaid doesn't mean I am not happy with my life. But I also don't have rose colored glasses on. There is NO community in Orlando that represents what I just described. I am VERY familiar with this area. Winter Park is the closest and it's like one tiny little pocket. Winter Park is also overcrowded and over priced.. But it's the best option if you had no choice but to stay. Baldwin Park tries, but again, when you have Semoran and East Colonial outside your little bubble of overcrowded community (which is also being over developed with apartments)..it doesn't compare to a host of other cities in other States that offer MORE. SO, PLEASE don't patronize me. This is a forum for opinions and information, it's not a forum to assume anything about anyone's "life". I have been familiar with this area since 1984 and I am well aware of what I am talking about. I have already moved..it was the best decision I ever made.
I hope things continue to well for you wherever you are in Orlando..you know, that utopian bubble you have found that isn't affected by the crime, transients, I4 construction, rising tolls, addition of toll roads.. I would also love to know where you are.. being as you don't shop at Publix or have a strip mall with another petco, a storage facility, new apartments going up or 7/11 near you. Must be nice.

Thanks for the luck.. But I don't need it..��✌️

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's really too bad you can't see all the good advice/constructive criticism that was given to you. We were only trying to help, instead you have a bad attitude and turn it around on us by calling us trolls. It really says all you need to know.

Making a mockery of, ridiculing, accusations of falsifying is hardly what anyone would call "trying to help". He admitted to not doing his research so why rub his nose in it? The only "bad attitudes" I read were from the majority of the replies. It's strange & disturbing to me how posters take such offense when someone doesn't declare their undying love for a state they reside in, I find it somewhat bizarre how one persons' disappointment or unhappiness in where they live is taken so personally by others who reside in the same area. The OP is free to do all the venting he wants, forums are a great place to do such & no one should be chastised & made to feel they're a idiot for doing so whether their opinion is positive or negative.

Those who made condescending comments are indicative of the foul personalities the OP has encountered in Orlando, thanks for proving his point.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:06 PM

17,188 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothankyou2000 View Post

Old 03-05-2015, 02:27 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Those who made condescending comments are indicative of the foul personalities the OP has encountered in Orlando, thanks for proving his point.
Who cares what he/she thinks to be honest. As someone who has lived in many cities, two countries, and traveled around the world I can tell you that people are generally good no matter where you are if you are proactively nice. Anytime I hear someone rant about how the people were awful I immediately lose all respect for them because I know from first hand experience people are generally friendly if you are first. I don't care whether it's Wasilla-Alaska, Seoul-South Korea, Auckland-New Zealand, Orlando-Florida etc. If you are the type of person that goes into a room of people you never met and expects them to start conversation with you, expects them to ask how are you doing, expects them to know or care about where you came from, then you will have negative experiences in virtually any place where you don't know anyone.

So, to the OP, good riddance! It's honestly very easy to move in 2015, so if you don't like the place because the people are so awful, then get out, but I can assure you that they will have the same problem wherever they move UNLESS they already have a established social network there.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:40 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Well, within walking distance of my house in Florida, I've got the local French bakery. I have to drive about 10 minutes to get to a local butcher, providing I don't just pick up stuff from one of the two local farmer's markets every week. I do drive a bit farther to get to the seafood market I like, but mostly because I'm a cheapskate and like going directly to the wholesaler. I like hiking out in Tibet-Butler nature preserve (again, walking distance from my house), and when you are out there, it is very easy to forget that you are anywhere near civilization. We certainly didn't have parks like that anywhere near where I lived in Maryland. We're within walking distance of the elementary school, and will be within walking distance of the middle school by the time my daughter gets into middle school. For high school, assuming she doesn't just go straight to Valencia College, she would need to take a bike to get to the high school site, and that would take her about 15 minutes by bike. I personally don't care about old churches. If I want a church experience, I'd be more concerned with God than the appearance--but I do know that some people care more about looks than they care about substance. And perhaps that's where the difference is between those who are happy here and those who are not. I've done the trendy rat-race-infested lifestyle in an area where you can't even get potholes fixed if you provide the asphalt and the shovel yourself. I've done the three-hour-a-day commute to go to the "big city" where the wages aren't enough to pay for your $2000 studio apartment. I've got my mink coat and precious gem jewelry and all the latest and greatest electronics, and am able to wine and dine with the best of them.

And yet I prefer an area where I can just wear jeans and flip flops and sit on my porch without having to be "cultured" and "sophisticated". But I realize that being "simple" and "relaxed" isn't for everyone. So I would hope that those for whom this lifestyle doesn't fit do leave the area to find where it works for them. And when they go, I also hope that they leave a forwarding address for where they have gone…so I can avoid taking a vacation there. It wouldn't do my healthy any good to be in that kind of world even for a short period of time.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
** Originally Posted by SassySpice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Who cares what he/she thinks to be honest. As someone who has lived in many cities, two countries, and traveled around the world I can tell you that people are generally good no matter where you are if you are proactively nice. Anytime I hear someone rant about how the people were awful I immediately lose all respect for them because I know from first hand experience people are generally friendly if you are first. I don't care whether it's Wasilla-Alaska, Seoul-South Korea, Auckland-New Zealand, Orlando-Florida etc. If you are the type of person that goes into a room of people you never met and expects them to start conversation with you, expects them to ask how are you doing, expects them to know or care about where you came from, then you will have negative experiences in virtually any place where you don't know anyone.

So, to the OP, good riddance! It's honestly very easy to move in 2015, so if you don't like the place because the people are so awful, then get out, but I can assure you that they will have the same problem wherever they move UNLESS they already have a established social network there.

Your attitude exemplifies nothing but arrogance. If a poster wants to vent his frustrations do you mean to tell me he should be humble & sweet about it? Your reply certainly wasn't nice, your 1st sentence "Who cares what he/she thinks to be honest" screams contempt. What the OP experienced & what you experienced may not be equal. Some people are just down right cantankerous no matter how nice you are & perhaps that was his experience since we really don't know. Furthermore you are a prime example of taking his frustrations personally, why is that? To be honest if the citizens of Orlando are anything like the majority of the replies on here I'd catch the 1st thing smoking outta there as well.

The** means - Add your name to the list..........I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando