Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM

15 posts, read 18,231 times

Advertisements

I've been following the boards for a while now trying to learn as much about the orlando area as I can. My husband, myself and 2 kids (4.5 and 6 years old) currently live in CT and are looking to relocate down to fl for a better, more relaxed lifestyle, less rush, less snobbery etc. I am curious about the basics -- good friendly neighborhoods where there's a community feel and kids play outside, good public schools and/or reasonably priced private schools, access to kid friendly activities (museums, aquariums, play spaces) and normal shopping -- not looking for anything boutiquey.

My older son has special needs - sensory processing disorder and a speech/language impairment. The public schools here in ct are excellent. He receives services within the school during his school day and we also do private therapies. When I read that people aren't happy with fl public schools, if u can afford private schools, that's always the next option. With private schools tho - do the kids need to test in for admission? Is there a way out of the requirement to be in the public school system for a year with his iep? I'm familiar with the McKay scholarship. For kids with needs, are private schools a sensible option or is it better to stick with public schools with public services? How are the public services in terms of occupational therapy, speech therapy and a behaviorist. Do most people do private for these services? We have everything set up here in ct and they're perfect but we hate the area.

I feel paralyzed to move bc I don't want to risk leaving a great lineup of services for my son's needs but I also don't want to settle for a lifestyle we are unhappy with if there is a possibility that we can find similar care for him in orlando.

My husband has an interview in early February in orlando and we will all be coming for a week to check out the area. We were referred to winter park, Windermere and Baldwin park. I'd like to lineup school tours. Does anyone have experience with this and are there better private or public schools for kids with needs? (Which is the case up here in ct).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle519 View Post
I've been following the boards for a while now trying to learn as much about the orlando area as I can. My husband, myself and 2 kids (4.5 and 6 years old) currently live in CT and are looking to relocate down to fl for a better, more relaxed lifestyle, less rush, less snobbery etc. I am curious about the basics -- good friendly neighborhoods where there's a community feel and kids play outside, good public schools and/or reasonably priced private schools, access to kid friendly activities (museums, aquariums, play spaces) and normal shopping -- not looking for anything boutiquey.

My older son has special needs - sensory processing disorder and a speech/language impairment. The public schools here in ct are excellent. He receives services within the school during his school day and we also do private therapies. When I read that people aren't happy with fl public schools, if u can afford private schools, that's always the next option. With private schools tho - do the kids need to test in for admission? Is there a way out of the requirement to be in the public school system for a year with his iep? I'm familiar with the McKay scholarship. For kids with needs, are private schools a sensible option or is it better to stick with public schools with public services? How are the public services in terms of occupational therapy, speech therapy and a behaviorist. Do most people do private for these services? We have everything set up here in ct and they're perfect but we hate the area.

I feel paralyzed to move bc I don't want to risk leaving a great lineup of services for my son's needs but I also don't want to settle for a lifestyle we are unhappy with if there is a possibility that we can find similar care for him in orlando.

My husband has an interview in early February in orlando and we will all be coming for a week to check out the area. We were referred to winter park, Windermere and Baldwin park. I'd like to lineup school tours. Does anyone have experience with this and are there better private or public schools for kids with needs? (Which is the case up here in ct).

Thanks.
Well, for starters, you won't get the "relaxed," less rush type of atmosphere you're looking for in Winter Park. It's a pretty busy area.
Windermere, on the other hand, may be up your alley. It's small, yet close enough to everything. The schools there have a pretty solid reputation -- Not sure about special needs, however.

It would be easier to point you in a certain direction if I/we had an indication of your planned budget...

Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 PM

15 posts, read 18,231 times
Thanks for the reply. My husband's position would be at Orlando Regional Medical Center. Ideally a 30 minute commute (or less) and monthly rent (house or apartment) for $2,000 (or less) would be our preference. As we are unfamiliar with the area(s), we plan to rent for the 1st year to learn the neighborhoods and decide where to settle.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:34 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle519 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My husband's position would be at Orlando Regional Medical Center. Ideally a 30 minute commute (or less) and monthly rent (house or apartment) for $2,000 (or less) would be our preference. As we are unfamiliar with the area(s), we plan to rent for the 1st year to learn the neighborhoods and decide where to settle.
Thanks!
ORMC is downtown Orlando... Pretty much anywhere you go will be within 30 minutes without traffic. Traffic can make a huge difference, however.

At $2000/month, you should be able to find a nice, single-family house in Windermere. Commuting to ORMC from there would actually be much better than from most other parts of Orlando. The 408 pretty much takes you right on top of it, and traffic isn't normally an issue on the 408 itself.
I would also check out Lake Mary to the North. That area in particular is known for excellent schools.
The commute to ORMC would be a hassle, though, as I4 normally gets backed up FROM Lake Mary all the way into Downtown Orlando and beyond.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I would recommend Maitland, Altamonte Springs and Wekiva/Sweetwater. All great areas with great schools. Maitland and Altamonte will be much busier and congested than Wekiva/Sweetwater but offer better commutes. Also keep in mind you could even consider living further out in places such as Lake Mary as the Sunrail commuter train has a stop right on the ORMC campus.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Winter Park would be my top choices. They have good schools, upscale and are very safe. If you want to check out some private schools, visit Windermere Prep and Lake Highland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando