Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

Amen. That's exactly what I'm saying. Did you happen to see the Slow Roll commercial? It's on YouTube, it's one of those Apple ones and I know it's funny to say, but it gave me goosebumps. I love that Detroit really has communicated well with them in establishing a bike culture around the city, and just that a grassroots effort can make such a big difference. One of the big things they do (I think they meet weekly) is go to some neighborhood of the city afterwards , and go out and support a different local business each week (Orlando CM didn't have that) and so they've played at least some part in re establishing some urban neighborhoods that before were super blighted (like Corktown). If I had to say just from reading their website, that is what critical mass should strive to be, but I'm not certain how to say those things about traffic
And sticking to lane without offending group leaders, or anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bikes don't have the right of way in all situations, and if this keeps up, I see a tragedy coming. Share the road goes two ways!!

Marathons and tri-athalons, etc. are organized and planned and not just some grass roots thing spread by social media, and I agree 100% with idr591.
I agree. Bikes are subject to same rights, but also laws, on the road, as cars. I think many forget that, on both sides to be fair. I think it's a fantastic effort, but agree something should be done to make it more organized (keep stricter rules about one lane/lights). Not sure how that can be done. Also community leaders and police should absolutely be communicated with, if they haven't been already.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:16 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I think Critical mass is awesome. Im usually on Orange Ave drinking a cold one when someone yells out Bicycle Gang!!! Than to see hundreds of riders come by...its fun. I can understand other people's annoyance but its only once a month. Bike on!

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM

This was my first one, and the camaraderie of being surrounded of a pack of what may have been 500+ this past time was one of the more unique experiences I've been a part of. I highly recommend it if you get a chance. Obviously, there's many people who aren't able to get off work and over here by 6, but for those who can, it's a must try.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 PM

Update: I was out again last week, and some positive steps had been taken. Due I guess to several riders being ticketed, they were forced to do the thing that is all too rare nowadays: communicate. I think it led to productive solutions, where the cops were willing to help an effort that they saw as overall positive for the city, if bikers were willing to agree to follow certain stipulations, which I would say happened from everything I saw, and it ultimately made me more comfortable and at ease with doing it. The one area where trouble came around was along Orange, where due to frequent traffic lights and lack of communication, the packs got seperated from each other until there were a bunch of random bikes weaving in between cars without a group around, which is clearly dangerous. I think until they resolve that section or figure out a way to keep the group together, I'll stick with my practice of jumping out of the pack over to Lake Eola and waiting for the group to get up to that point again.

Overall, it was still really a fantastic time, and I highly recommend it to anyone. Particularly if you are new to the area or looking for somewhere to meet people, it is a great way to do so, and also get a feel for the layout of the near city areas, and all that the city has to offer.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
We were down there for the weekend and saw the mass of riders while at the light at Robinson & Rosalind, driving towards Orange. I was shocked, and very pleasantly surprised.

I was just there four months ago, but the core of Orlando continues to surprise and impress on every visit. The hospitals are freaking me out with the massive expansions going on!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM

You should come some time when you're here! Meets the last Friday of every month at 6 PM in Loch Haven Park. A cool yet cheap Friday night when here would involve:
-Checking out the free Mennello Museum of American Art that's right there.
-Sitting in the park and reading/eating a publix/firehouse sub
-Going on a bike ride at 6
-Going to the Shakespeare center over there afterward to pretend to be sophisticated
-Grabbing a late night Boba Tea from Little Saigon or Italian Ice from Jeremiah's
All that for under $20. I may or may not have done that a few times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: