Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:24 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,515 times

Advertisements

Just to lighten up the thread a bit, if you haven't seen it, here's the 10 Reasons it's Okay to Hate Windermere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv7WcCEjspU

(And yeah, this is mostly about the "old town" area…)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Haha, that was pretty good, to be honest I enjoyed the good natured discussion throughout. I feel like each kinda has it's own perks. For me, if I'm being honest, truly the deciding factor is college sports. Sports (and the observatory/theater/lectures, which basically or literally cost nothing) in general are basically like Disney World would be a destination to many, and so nothing about Windermere could make me want to move away from being near a fun D-1 college, which I suppose it's good I'm going into student affairs : )

For the record, my family actually is annual passholders, I'd say overall I make it 7-8 times a year. Often, I'm taking my nieces/nephews when they can't be watched, which it makes it more fun. I do have to say though, Epcot is by far my favorite park. I wish I could literally just pay half the usual annual price to just go there. Though, I am looking forward to seeing Hollywood Studios as it was intended to look, I have to check that out soon.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Haha, that was pretty good, to be honest I enjoyed the good natured discussion throughout. I feel like each kinda has it's own perks. For me, if I'm being honest, truly the deciding factor is college sports. Sports (and the observatory/theater/lectures) in general are basically like Disney World would be to a little kid, and so nothing about Windermere could make me want to move away from being near a fun D-1 college, which I suppose it's good I'm going into student affairs : )
UCF has sports teams? What's their mascot and what sort of sports do they have there? I don't think I've ever heard anything about them. Is it because they do something like field hockey that doesn't get much press? (The colleges I went to were all about their volleyball and basketball during the times I went there, and my husband was a Terp, so basketball was all he paid attention to.)

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 AM

215 posts, read 279,623 times
As the original poster, I enjoyed the debate as well. If we go to Windermere and it's just not our style, we will turn around and go to Oviedo (even though it will double my husband's commute!)

However, the posts on immigrants lost me.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
UCF has sports teams? What's their mascot and what sort of sports do they have there? I don't think I've ever heard anything about them. Is it because they do something like field hockey that doesn't get much press? (The colleges I went to were all about their volleyball and basketball during the times I went there, and my husband was a Terp, so basketball was all he paid attention to.)
The mascot is the Knight. Football is their biggest sport, but they're not in the big league that everyone pays attention to (I'm not into sports at all, so I can't remember the league names). They won a major bowl game last year though, so they're becoming more popular and well regarded. I think basketball is pretty big too.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 AM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
As the original poster, I enjoyed the debate as well. If we go to Windermere and it's just not our style, we will turn around and go to Oviedo (even though it will double my husband's commute!)

However, the posts on immigrants lost me.
Oviedo is so far away from work, you will want to kill yourself after a month. If you don't like Windermere or Dr. Phillips after trying it out, let us know before you move out to boonies aka Oviedo, so we can give you some closer alternatives too lol.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:16 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
UCF actually has a very good mid major sports program. They play in the American Athletic Conference (formerly the Big East). I can tell you as a college sports fan myself UCF is worth following. Their football program has been solid the past few season producing multiple NFL players (Blake Bortles being the biggest name). Their conference isn't the best but they play a good out of conference schedule with some pretty good teams, South Carolina, Penn State, BYU, Stanford to name a few. There basketball games are fun as well. Best part is even for College athletics standards UCF is pretty cheap for a fairly entertaining product. I have tailgated for their football games, it's a pretty wild time. This coming from a Gator so I know a thing or two about college athletics. Trust me UCF is worth following as the hometown team.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
The mascot is the Knight. Football is their biggest sport, but they're not in the big league that everyone pays attention to (I'm not into sports at all, so I can't remember the league names). They won a major bowl game last year though, so they're becoming more popular and well regarded. I think basketball is pretty big too.
Huh….who knew. Doing some Wiki Walking, I would have loved to have seen them stay the Citronauts. That's just hilarious. I probably would have voted for Vincent the Vulture, though.

So it sounds like this thread can be summed up by "You can live in Oviedo and be neighbors to the Knights or live in Windermere and be neighbors to the Castle."

Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Pretty much! Haha. Yeah, UCF's program on the rise. This may draw the ire of some UF fans (or Maryland fans!) around here, but I'd say that over the last five years, UCF's Football Program has been more nationally prominent than either of those programs has. It will be interesting to see how UF responds with a new coach though.

But yeah, UCF really is becoming quite a major sports program. The football team for this coming year, with the recruits they have coming in, is set to be top 25 nationally. If they were in the Big Ten/SEC, odds are they'd probably finish ahead of around half the teams in those conferences, that are still more well known. The baseball team has also consistently been among the better teams in the country, and has several CWS appearances to show for it. This year could be their best team yet. The basketball team has not yet lived up to the hype around it, but recruited Michael Jordan's son to play for them, and they also have a beautiful stadium and should be much better next year.

Athletics aren't the only thing though. UCF managed to triple their enrollment to being 2nd largest school in country now, behind Arizona State, while reducing the percentage of applicants they accept by half. Not sure, but I believe the average ACT of incoming freshman is now 27. Plus, they're getting a downtown campus now, so they'll have an even more sizable presence in Orlando.

Here are some pictures of UCF's campus and athletic facilities, in case you all haven't yet had the time to venture to this side of town. All of the games are really cheap to attend, and were always looking to have new fans!

Brighthouse Stadium: (football, getting an in stadium tiki bar next year!) https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...s=bs&form=QBIR

An aerial view of facilities: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=4

CFE Arena: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=1

Outside the arena, and the campus main street/dorms: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=8

Robinson Observatory: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=9

UCF Theatre: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=4

On Campus Arboretum: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=0

Campus Main Street Across University (well, sort of): https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...electedIndex=3

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lectedIndex=40

Main Quad/Reflecting Pond: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...lectedIndex=26
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando