Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdong View Post
Student from South West part of Pine Hill will also attend Olympia High.. Mixture of the very worst and the best...I would rather chose West Orange than Olympia.
That's more Metrowest/Gotha than Pine Hills. Olympia is often rated the better school; besides, West Orange is the one that had the shooting take place just outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM

19 posts, read 23,121 times
That was on the shooters 1st day of school. He didn't have a 2nd day there. The administration is good.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
I need some help. We moved from NJ to windermere specifically because west orange HS seemed like an A grade school, but I'm hearing bad things about it now. My daughter will be starting HS this year and my lease is up in June. Should I consider going somewhere else? Dr. Phillips area Maybe? Or am I worrying for nothing.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:32 AM

215 posts, read 279,707 times
Monica we are moving there shortly and I also am a bit overwhelmed thinking about HS - fortunately we have a few years before we get there. I did speak to a current parent who had her concerns about sending her son to West Orange, but now she says she loves the school. Speaks very highly of it and also raves about their Arts program. Maybe the improvement in school grade by OCPS is warranted- so much of what has been said to me has been based on reputation of schools, rather than actual, current students.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 51,014 times
Our next recon trip to the area of Horizon West is still a month away... but I am starting to rethink that area... if I look up "horizon west Crime realtor" then the crimes numbers - particularly for assault are sky high... and when I look at Orange County Sheriff page, there were 35 home burglaries in less then four months????? These are the areas off 535... Independence, Summerport, areas.... The newness of the area appeals to me and the proximity to work for my husband is great but now I am wondering if it is not "safe" enough. An area like Wekiva Springs seems to have little to no crime but the commute would be harder and seeing that I am TERRIFIED of bugs, living amongst so many trees seems like a BAD fit for me. So, when I hear people post about how safe it is in Windermere (near) and Winter Garden (new area).... are we looking at from really different standards????

Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStorm View Post
Our next recon trip to the area of Horizon West is still a month away... but I am starting to rethink that area... if I look up "horizon west Crime realtor" then the crimes numbers - particularly for assault are sky high... and when I look at Orange County Sheriff page, there were 35 home burglaries in less then four months????? These are the areas off 535... Independence, Summerport, areas.... The newness of the area appeals to me and the proximity to work for my husband is great but now I am wondering if it is not "safe" enough. An area like Wekiva Springs seems to have little to no crime but the commute would be harder and seeing that I am TERRIFIED of bugs, living amongst so many trees seems like a BAD fit for me. So, when I hear people post about how safe it is in Windermere (near) and Winter Garden (new area).... are we looking at from really different standards????
The only crime I have witnessed since I move here is when someone used the check I gave my Brighthouse installation technician to do a series of fraudulent ACH transactions from my bank account the week that I moved here. (Of course that also could have come from me using a debit card at Target or Home Depot, too.) There's also a guy who jaywalks with his off-road golf cart that I see every now and again, which is quite unsafe. He hasn't done it in the past few months, so I'm wondering if someone finally called him in on it.

There was an incident last year where people were having their purses, cell phones, and electronics stolen from unlocked vehicles at a school, but to me that's just dumb to leave those things on the seat in an unlocked car even if you are only going to be gone a few minutes, especially at a school with kids walking by. I wasn't affected by it, but got a note about it at my daughter's school, though.

Over New Year's, I did witness some adults setting off fireworks in what I thought was an unsafe manner in a parking lot. The fireworks were legal, and after a few launches, they decided to move across the street to a vacant lot to set off the rest of them.

I found these maps that might be helpful, and really do give a good idea of how things are. This is the zip code for the part of Horizon West where I live for the past four months:
34786 Crime Map | See Local Crimes in 34786

This is the other section of "Horizon West" but the data used for that area also includes the not-so-great sections of old Winter Garden around route 50 and south down towards the Osceola County line (which no one actually considers Horizon West, but because it currently shares the zip code, it gets lumped together).
34787 Crime Map | See Local Crimes in 34787

A big challenge is that "Horizon West" is more an idea than an actual place to many folks… what is included in it depends on who you ask. For me, it's anything in Lakeside Village, Village of Bridgewater, Town Center-Hamlin, Hickorynut Village, Village F, and Village I, but doesn't include the Rural Settlement and doesn't go north of Tilden Road. Other places are trying to say that they fit in to try and boost their property values, though.

When I moved down here, I was a little shocked by how few gated communities there are in this area. When I asked some of the locals down here about that, they said that there are few gated communities around here because you don't need them, and that has been my experience.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:51 PM

33 posts, read 51,014 times
EditorJul, Wow! Thank you for the information!!!! I have eagerly read your posts before - and there are a couple others that are also great at detailing the area! I feel like I can never do enough research! We were supposed to be living in the area already but life forced us to wait :/ I am trying to see the postponement as a blessing as it gives me more time to check everything out! Do you by chance have opinions on the healthcare in the area? I want to avoid Dr. Phillips Hospital - very bad experience last year. Is it accessible to go to Celebration Hospital in an emergency or would traffic make it impossible? I know they are opening a small scale emergency center across from Target, but I wonder where people go for full service healthcare. Any additional information would be great!!!! Thanks again!

Last edited by FlStorm; 03-10-2015 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 03-10-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStorm View Post
EditorJul, Wow! Thank you for the information!!!! I have eagerly read your posts before - and there are a couple others that are also great at detailing the area! I feel like I can never do enough research! We were supposed to be living in the area already but life forced us to wait :/ I am trying to see the postponement as a blessing as it gives me more time to check everything out! Do you by chance have opinions on the healthcare in the area? I want to avoid Dr. Phillips Hospital - very bad experience last year. Is it accessible to go to Celebration Hospital in an emergency or would traffic make it impossible? I know they are opening a small scale emergency center across from Target, but I wonder where people go for full service healthcare. Any additional information would be great!!!! Thanks again!
Knock on wood, I haven't had need for a hospital since we moved, so the facility that they're opening up at Winter Garden Village will probably handle whatever I need in the foreseeable future, and is run by the same folks who run Celebration Hospital.
https://www.floridahospital.com/winter-garden

Eventually on the books there's supposed to be a fairly major medical campus going out in the Town Center part of Horizon West, but I'm of the opinion I won't believe it until I see it. Dr. Phillips is the closest hospital, until the one in Winter Garden Village gets built, but you can get to the Celebration Hospital in about 20 minutes or so if that's your preference. I can understand avoiding a hospital after one bad experience, and hopefully you won't need a hospital anyhow!

I'm still looking around for a GP, but if I have anything come up in the meantime that needs a doctor but isn't hospital-worthy, I'll probably try these folks out because they are so close (as in I could walk there if I'm too sick to drive).
Windermere Medical Center | Primary and Urgent Care | Windermere, FLWindermere Medical Center

Old 03-10-2015, 02:57 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Wouldn't Health Central in Ocoee be the closest hospital?

Old 03-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Wouldn't Health Central in Ocoee be the closest hospital?
It's about 1 mile closer to go to Health Central in Ocoee than Florida Hospital in Celebration from where I live, but it also means schlepping down 50 to get there, so more possibility of traffic. (Dr. Phillips is 1 mile closer than Health Central, so it is the closest for me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando