Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM

9 posts, read 18,124 times

Advertisements

I am travelling to Mount Dora in a week, and staying in a home on the lake. I will have my 3 year old daughter with me and am wondering how concerned I need to be about alligators? Obviously I will not let her swim or wade in the water, but is she safe on a dock (with an adult?). In a boat? How close to the water could we sit, safely? I hear they can move pretty quickly, just wondering how cautious I need to be, as I've never been around alligators before. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Hmm... I have a house close by, and I'll say this: Lake Dora is pretty much full of decent-sized gators. I don't recall ever hearing of any attacks by them, but let's not make it happen.
I use the Gilbert Park ramps all the time for the jetskiis, but am always cautious as to what can be lurking around.
I jog by there several times a week, and they seem to be more active in late evenings.

That being said, I've never seen them ON a dock, and have never heard of them going in someone's boat. (I wouldn't sit my 3 year old on a dock near the water, but the boat should be fine.)

Generally, if you're too close to the gators, they'll swim away.
Water moccasins are a different story.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM

And if anyone could also answer where we can safely go swimming in the area, that would be great too

Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Traveller View Post
And if anyone could also answer where we can safely go swimming in the area, that would be great too
Use community pools, if anything.
I wouldn't swim in the lakes. Central FL waters are known for Gators, poisonous snakes, and amoebas.

I've never used our public pool, but here is some info on it:
Mount Dora, FL - Official Website

Directly across from there is also a pretty neat weekend flea market.

I think nearby City of Eustis also has a community pool.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Hmm... I have a house close by, and I'll say this: Lake Dora is pretty much full of decent-sized gators. I don't recall ever hearing of any attacks by them, but let's not make it happen.
I use the Gilbert Park ramps all the time for the jetskiis, but am always cautious as to what can be lurking around.
I jog by there several times a week, and they seem to be more active in late evenings.

That being said, I've never seen them ON a dock, and have never heard of them going in someone's boat. (I wouldn't sit my 3 year old on a dock near the water, but the boat should be fine.)

Generally, if you're too close to the gators, they'll swim away.
Water moccasins are a different story.
Ok thank you. Yes my dad is down there already and has seen a few big ones. Ok no sitting on the dock. Water moccasins.... Of course I've been so focused on alligators I forgot about snakes! Are there common land snakes I need to be aware of?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Use community pools, if anything.
I wouldn't swim in the lakes. Central FL waters are known for Gators, poisonous snakes, and amoebas.

I've never used our public pool, but here is some info on it:
Mount Dora, FL - Official Website

Directly across from there is also a pretty neat weekend flea market.

I think nearby City of Eustis also has a community pool.
I was hoping there was gator/snake free lakes or rivers around but I guess we will just take a day trip to the beaches instead! Flea market sounds fun, thanks for the tip

Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you. Yes my dad is down there already and has seen a few big ones. Ok no sitting on the dock. Water moccasins.... Of course I've been so focused on alligators I forgot about snakes! Are there common land snakes I need to be aware of?
No, not really. Pretty much the only one's you MIGHT see would be garden snakes. Black racers are particularly big and fast, and might frighten you if you see them, but they are completely harmless.

It's a shame, the lighthouse at Lake Dora used to be home to a pair of large, unusually friendly geese. Someone stole them. They used to run up from the shore to the pavement and greet visitors.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I was hoping there was gator/snake free lakes or rivers around but I guess we will just take a day trip to the beaches instead! Flea market sounds fun, thanks for the tip
Go to the springs.
Rock Springs is close by.
Silver Springs is another nice one, but it's a bit of a hike.

Those two are very safe waterways for gator/snake-free swimming.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Go to the springs.
Rock Springs is close by.
Silver Springs is another nice one, but it's a bit of a hike.

Those two are very safe waterways for gator/snake-free swimming.
Sounds perfect, thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,104,930 times
Quote:
There are also some water parks in Orlando that are a lot of fun. They all have kids areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando