Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,638 times

Advertisements

We've been to florida for a total of 14 days in the last five years. It was a trip to DisneyWorld each time. However last time, for the first time, we spent two days outside of Disney at the Courtyard down the street from SeaWorld. This was our first time in the REAL city of Orlando. Everything was fine and it all seemed very nice! I know the time scale is not enough to get a good feel for the area but from what we saw we enjoyed it.

We are from Richmond VA and I decided to check out housing prices and to my surprise they re cheap!! You can get a 6 bedroom and 4 full baths for the same price a 2 bedroom 2 bath stars off for here! I came on here to check things out and it seems that at least the Orlando area has a significant crime rate?

It is hard to compare because citydata is so outdated at this point when it comes to records. There is someone being killed here at least twice a week or robbed. I read here that Orlando was listed as one of the top 10 cities for high murder rates but Richmond has beat Detroit and the entire state of New York on several occasions, we're no stranger to the number 1 spot either. I was wondering if anyone else is from this area that can give me a good idea of what I'm getting myself (and my family) into. We were interested in Seattle but the price of homes are like night and day. If anything it sounds like more of the same rather than it being worse. Are there any "good" parts of Florida that still is good and urban? So many threads on here and they all have so many conflicting replies it is so hard to tell ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM

291 posts, read 1,204,470 times
I am going to share the website I found while researching Orlando and the area for the past couple of months because we heard about all the crime but still wanted to come to the area and wanted a safe place.

Here is the link for the site ~ it is up to date and an incredible resource!

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I looked up Richmond for you and all I can say it WOW! It's worse than Orlando!!! The murder risk is incredible!!!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the site, you can find everything you need there and compare with other cities and it's all 2008 data. I researched our new zip code and found peace of mind with a crime rate in Davenport a 66 and 100 being the national average

When just looking at Davenport the crime and murder rate was incredibly high, but when looking by zip code the crime is almost non-existent in that particular area.

Good luck and don't let all the negative posts on Orlando here on these forums stop you. Do your research like I did and you can find a nice, safe place to live.
[/color]

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,638 times
Wow thank you! It is very unfortunate indeed for a state capitol.. My mother is a lpn and is in school to be a rn. I hope she can find a job here but i guess thats another topic. The city looked beautiful and i figured it was just a bunch of spoiled people complaining for the most part.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Wow thank you! It is very unfortunate indeed for a state capitol.. My mother is a lpn and is in school to be a rn. I hope she can find a job here but i guess thats another topic. The city looked beautiful and i figured it was just a bunch of spoiled people complaining for the most part.
Well there really is a crime issue in Orlando, but there are crime issues in lots of cities. It's up to you to research the area and decide if you want to come to the area.
I do believe that if you go with a positive attitude, and also very informed on the area you'll be moving to you will be fine. I personally have spent months researching, as I always do when traveling and know what I'm getting into and I know we're going to love living there and we're very excited as we only have 16 days left until our move

If I came to Orlando not knowing about the crime, really hot, humid weather, bugs, snakes,etc. and didn't research the neighborhoods and ended up in a bad area I would not be happy.

Anyway, sounds like a super plan. I know that it will be cheaper for us with the rent. We are getting a 4 bdrm, 3 ba. home only a few years old in a wonderful gated community for less than we're paying here in Asheville for an older townhome in an apartment community.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Well there really is a crime issue in Orlando, but there are crime issues in lots of cities. It's up to you to research the area and decide if you want to come to the area.
I do believe that if you go with a positive attitude, and also very informed on the area you'll be moving to you will be fine. I personally have spent months researching, as I always do when traveling and know what I'm getting into and I know we're going to love living there and we're very excited as we only have 16 days left until our move

If I came to Orlando not knowing about the crime, really hot, humid weather, bugs, snakes,etc. and didn't research the neighborhoods and ended up in a bad area I would not be happy.

Anyway, sounds like a super plan. I know that it will be cheaper for us with the rent. We are getting a 4 bdrm, 3 ba. home only a few years old in a wonderful gated community for less than we're paying here in Asheville for an older townhome in an apartment community.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM

910 posts, read 2,333,544 times
I've lived in Orlando for over 10 years now, and with the urban development, "big box" stores, cookie cutter neighborhoods that have been popping up, the quality of life has progressively gone down. I don't blame all of Orlando, it's also happening everywhere due to the economy (that's another discussion). The diversity is so great here with the seniors, university students, minorities, and natives, that sometimes it clashes whether in traffic, attitude (rudeness), or just the approach to life down here. I think the untouched parts of FL are still in the Southwest coast, such as Cape Coral and Ft. Myers. Orlando is just too dense for my taste. When I was a northern resident, I enjoyed visiting this place and didn't mind the traffic and the crowds, it's expected in the tourist area. But when you've lived in it day-to-day for years now, it wears you down.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:58 PM

155 posts, read 380,951 times
i have been in orlando for almost 7 years, and in that short time the crime has gone way up, here in east orange county, you would be able to leave your cars unlocked, now there is a helicopter flying over avalon park at least once a month. This area is starting to get bad, no matter what people say. also there is a jail just 5 minutes away, i don't fell to good about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando