Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

The op will be squarely stuck in osceola county with both of those locations. Personally, I'd commute from Dr Phillips to Kissimmee, but getting to ponciana may be too much.

Even if most of us don't care for that county, living there probably makes sense for the op. That being said, I would rent first, esp in Osceola county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Not if they cashed out up north - for example, plenty of folks in Boston bought homes 35-45 years ago for 100K that are now worth well over a million, dependent on where in Boston. Easy to pay for the house in cash, have some left over, and live off pension/401K/SS for the rest.
Exactly. $510K is nothing to many retirees, and face it, we ALL live on a budget to some extent.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM

536 posts, read 852,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Not if they cashed out up north - for example, plenty of folks in Boston bought homes 35-45 years ago for 100K that are now worth well over a million, dependent on where in Boston. Easy to pay for the house in cash, have some left over, and live off pension/401K/SS for the rest.
I'd agree that's a plausible scenario for some.

But in this particular case, they're not retirees. The owner is a PhD & CEO of a very renown zoo & wildlife refuge in the Caribbean, the wife is also a professional, & the two daughters are both in graduate school in the US. This is their 2nd home.

It would be inaccurate to describe them as "low class" as I have seen some here describe anyone & everyone who chooses to live in Kissimmee.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Exactly. $510K is nothing to many retirees, and face it, we ALL live on a budget to some extent.
Not sure I'd go that far

The Typical American Has This Much in Retirement Savings. How Do You Compare?

Middle-class adults have $20K saved for retirement

Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 6,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just curious, why did you post in the Orlando forum and not the South Florida forum as well? Just as an FYI, of all of the Florida forums Orlando probably trails only Sarasota in terms of heavily-slanted boosters who are enthralled with living here. It's not that way across the board (and isn't in any city) and would urge you to seek a more balanced point of view.
I did actually, and I didn't get much of a reply from that forum. It wasn't so much the responses, although they helped a bit, it was taking everything I had an putting it on the table and trying to do best by my family as well. The company I will be working for is sound, they're not going anywhere, there is a huge opportunity to grow and they've worked it so I can initially work from where I am at first so there is no rush to move, it gives us a little time here to wrap up loose ends and so on.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebachle View Post
The company I will be working for is sound, they're not going anywhere, there is a huge opportunity to grow and they've worked it so I can initially work from where I am at first so there is no rush to move, it gives us a little time here to wrap up loose ends and so on.
May I ask, after all the speculation & arguing about Kissimmee that is so typical on this forum...

...what line of work are you in, that might bring you to Cypress Parkway & Osceola?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:24 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebachle View Post
I did actually, and I didn't get much of a reply from that forum. It wasn't so much the responses, although they helped a bit, it was taking everything I had an putting it on the table and trying to do best by my family as well. The company I will be working for is sound, they're not going anywhere, there is a huge opportunity to grow and they've worked it so I can initially work from where I am at first so there is no rush to move, it gives us a little time here to wrap up loose ends and so on.
I know much more about Boca than I do Kissimmee for sure. But I will tell you Yamato Rd. area on Boca is fantastic. I have family that live in Windermere they have also lived near Boca. They plan to move away & say Boca is far better. But to each their own. Honestly before making this major move you should visit both areas and scout them out for a week. Then you can properly make the decision that is best for you. It would stink to move somewhere & realize you do not like it. Depending on what line of work you are in one area just might be better than the other or it might not really matter.

Good Luck with whatever you choose. Also the other forum is not that busy so sometimes it takes a few days to get responses. Everyone is so happy there there are out enjoying the area instead of coming on here.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
May I ask, after all the speculation & arguing about Kissimmee that is so typical on this forum...

...what line of work are you in, that might bring you to Cypress Parkway & Osceola?
That is not a question you should ask a stranger on here..shows lack of professionalism.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:15 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
Thank you for being open minded enough to at least suggest they "check it out for yourself".

FYI: The latest home on my block to close escrow, two doors to my right, was 3600sf, on the lake, with docking rights, 5 bdrms, 4 baths, with an enclosed ground floor lanai & 2nd story rear balcony, w pool.

They paid $510K, all cash. That's an interesting number for "retirees on a budget".
No problem!

When I say budget, I don't mean small cheap homes as in trailer parks. I mean your money goes a long way in Bellalago compared to say Winter Park or other desirable areas, so for those who just want to relax in their homes, Bellalago's location might not be an issue. However, for most families Bellalago is too isolated and quality of life goes beyond your home. People care about the quality of schools, proximity to restaurants, malls, etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
That is not a question you should ask a stranger on here..shows lack of professionalism.
Well that's an interesting comment. One page back the same poster said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
No one ever asked any questions about your personal needs like where you are coming from & what you are really looking for...is very unprofessional & neglectful.
Getting critiqued for not asking enough questions...& then getting critiqued for asking a simple one...

That's the internet for ya.

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 03-29-2015 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando