Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 04:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Okay, that sounds good. I was thinking of attractions or retail at Downtown Disney, except I would not want to park, and walk across LBV blvd. to get there. I wonder with the new parking ramps they still have to do that.
Yes, cast parking is still across the street. If that much walking would bother you, working at Disney is probably not right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 04:43 PM

626 posts, read 970,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, cast parking is still across the street. If that much walking would bother you, working at Disney is probably not right for you.
That's the wrong assumption. I just don't like walking across that street. guess I should have specified that.

Last edited by lovfl; 04-03-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 PM

82 posts, read 94,663 times
I was injured in a car accident would they honor my disability card?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM

782 posts, read 1,361,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtomovetodisney View Post
I was injured in a car accident would they honor my disability card?
From Disney's corporate page:
It is the policy of The Walt Disney Company to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law. This policy extends, but is not limited, to recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, rate of pay and other forms of compensation, education, and training.

So if you're looking for preferential hiring because you have a disability, you won't get it… everyone across the board is equal in the application and hiring process. That said, you won't be rejected outright because of a disability either, unless you are unable to fulfill certain job requirements. (For example, if you are a quadriplegic, you wouldn't be hired as a lifeguard if you were unable to perform the physical demands of the lifeguard certification program.)

Old 04-04-2015, 06:00 AM

I currently work and can walk but need to sit down often.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I currently work and can walk but need to sit down often.
It's really going to depend on what role you're applying for. Some jobs do have the ability to accommodate sitting down, but some do not. What particular type of position would you be looking for?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 AM

Security any level of it.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Security jobs at Disney can be challenging to get. If possible, have your Florida security license all ready to go. At that point, I'd try using a headhunting service to get you in a a contract position working for Disney, but you'll probably end up at an office building for Disney in Celebration, Orlando, or one of the other off-site locations. At that point, you might be able to work in a security position backstage somewhere (like being security for a warehouse/distribution center) and then work up to being a security guard at a resort hotel, and then possibly on-stage. Because there's so many qualified candidates, be prepared to start at the bottom of the rung, no matter how much experience you bring to the table. Also be prepared to work very odd shifts. As long as you're cool with all that, just keep applying and networking with local people. You never know when something will just fall into place.

Starting wages are also pretty low--around $14-15/hr, I think. You'll want to make sure that is a wage you can live off of, especially as you will likely be hired for part-time hours.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Quote:
They aren't going to hire you for security if you aren't in good physical condition.

"Required job duties involve - walking, standing, public speaking, driving and lifting and/or carrying up to 25lbs."

There is no way to make a "reasonable accommodation" under the ADA for someone who can't spend the shift walking and standing in a security role. The few mostly seated security roles are filled internally. Disney requires security hires to be able to spend the entire shift walking or standing and be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.

There would be jobs that would be allow you to sit all day, guest services and cashiering. Guest services usually also require a few years of Disney experience before you can be hired into one of them, quick food service cashiering is about the only job available to outside applicants that can be seated for the entire shift that is almost always being hired for.

Keep in mind you must give at least three 24 hour periods of full availability per week and could be assigned to any shift they want you to work at any location. After a year or two you can usually get preferred shifts and locations.

I have to disagree with Jules on wages for security guards. They are usually in the $9-12/hour to start, and depend on previous experience and what role you are hired for.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

I have to disagree with Jules on wages for security guards. They are usually in the $9-12/hour to start, and depend on previous experience and what role you are hired for.
I'll defer to you on the wages bit. The ones I've talked with most are the ones who are currently in contract (and not on-stage or on-property) roles, and those do pay differently (some better, some worse) than direct hire.

One thing that I heard a CM mention to me about the hiring process is the whole "not everyone can be the mayor of Main Street". With 59,000+ people working for Disney, most of them never see any on-stage time. Most of them never work in a theme park. If you're working for Disney, the big question is what you hope to get from it. If someone is starting as a security guard for Disney, they'll probably have the best luck starting out being a guard at a Disney office building. Not glamourous, but it gets you in the door (literally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: