Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family of 3 is looking to relocate to the Oviedo area. My daughter will start college at UCF and my son is 11 and will begin middle school. I have researched the schools and found Seminole county to have some of the best to offer for my 11 yo. I work from home, so I'm not so worried about the traffic for me, but wonder where the best side of Oviedo would be for my daughter to travel into/out of UCF, with minimal traffic congestion?

Also - any input on the Galileo gifted school would help.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
I would recommend a nice neighborhood called Carillon which is located on the southern tip of Oviedo and is closest to UCF right at the county border, Lockwood Blvd is the main road through the neighborhood and is a direct access point to UCF campus, it would literally be a walking-distance commute for your daughter and the middle and high schools zoned to this neighborhood are also highly rated schools for your son.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
I've heard fantastic things about Galileo Gifted School, however, I have heard similar good things about other schools around the county.

I second the thoughts about Carrillon, or really anywhere along Lockwood between Mitchell Hammock and McCulloch, for that matter.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
really anywhere in Oviedo will get you to UCF in a decent time frame, although traffic on Alafaya can be the pits.

i'd suggest anyhere on the south end of Oviedo really. But most of Oviedo is nice so anywhere in a good area of Oviedo wil work.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:28 PM

166 posts, read 384,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsun View Post
Hi, my family of 3 is looking to relocate to the Oviedo area. My daughter will start college at UCF and my son is 11 and will begin middle school. I have researched the schools and found Seminole county to have some of the best to offer for my 11 yo. I work from home, so I'm not so worried about the traffic for me, but wonder where the best side of Oviedo would be for my daughter to travel into/out of UCF, with minimal traffic congestion?

Also - any input on the Galileo gifted school would help.

Thank you!
I would not recommend the Oviedo area. As shown below, the City of Oviedo is a tiny, dilapitdated, outdated crossroads of an old farm town with no sense of place, and with no destinations or functions of great interest. There are many areas of central Florida that have much more to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrMNLEZWnE

In addition, the crime rate in Oviedo is almost 20% above the national average. Fyi, some links to a few recent news articles about the crime in Oviedo follow below.

Oviedo Police use K9s, helicopter in massive search for burglars - Sep 13 2014
'Oviedo Soldiers Gang’ may be tied to Orlando-area homicide - July 17, 2014
79 vehicle burglaries in 1 month frustrating Oviedo investigators - Feb 03, 2014
Oviedo neighborhood sees increase in home burglaries - Jul 07 2013

Please consider other areas which are much safer.

Concerning schools, only 80% of the schools in Oviedo were A rated during the past 2 year time frame ('14 and '13) according to the FDOE. There are several other areas of of central Florida with equal or better schools you may want to look into.

Last edited by Consigliere; 04-14-2015 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 06:20 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
same video, as usual. are you a realtor in the AP/Waterfrod Lks area?

and the articles you stated, they caught the kids that were doing the burglaries/break-ins and the Oviedo Soldiers Gang is a gang that was supposedly around YEARS AGO.

would you like me to pull up incidents in Avalon Park and Waterford Lakes? AP is that tiny little area behind the roundabout, correct? so surely if I googled crime + AP, there surely wont be any incidents whatsoever, right?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:02 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
I would not recommend the Oviedo area. As shown below, the City of Oviedo is a tiny, dilapitdated, outdated crossroads of an old farm town with no sense of place, and with no destinations or functions of great interest. There are many areas of central Florida that have much more to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrMNLEZWnE

In addition, the crime rate in Oviedo is almost 20% above the national average. Fyi, some links to a few recent news articles about the crime in Oviedo follow below.

Oviedo Police use K9s, helicopter in massive search for burglars - Sep 13 2014
'Oviedo Soldiers Gang’ may be tied to Orlando-area homicide - July 17, 2014
79 vehicle burglaries in 1 month frustrating Oviedo investigators - Feb 03, 2014
Oviedo neighborhood sees increase in home burglaries - Jul 07 2013

Please consider other areas which are much safer.

Concerning schools, only 80% of the schools in Oviedo were A rated during the past 2 year time frame ('14 and '13) according to the FDOE. There are several other areas of of central Florida with equal or better schools you may want to look into.
To the OP, DO NOT listen to Consigliere.. He always posts the same old video of one block random of Oviedo that doesn't even exist anymore.. He appears to have some type of beef with Oviedo for no reason..

Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM

9 posts, read 10,449 times
WESH 2 News - Avalon Park Families Fight To Remove 'Terror' Neighbors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5_59c4fA4

Last edited by googlevoice007; 04-15-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM

78 posts, read 120,505 times
Arrow Oviedo vs Avalon pk

Nothing against the both communities listed above. I am not a realtor nor have any vested interest in those neighborhoods. I can only add my two cents of experience and what I have witnessed. Both the Oviedo and Avalon areas are growing with several issues causing great concern to its residents. I for a fact have noticed saturated, dangerously over populated neighborhoods. One must avoid driving through these congested streets and roads with extreme caution. The main two high schools are going down hill rather fast due to an increase in gang, drugs and criminal activities. Only a small pocket of neighborhoods are not being affected. If you don't believe me take a drive around the general area and look out for so many homes that look resemble used cars (For sale)lots .

Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,006 times
Enough with this uncalled for beef between Oviedo and Avalon Park/Waterford please can you guys just suggest the areas and leave all that nonsense out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando