Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 PM

511 posts, read 854,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
These posts demonstrate the amount of trash that must live in Orlando. Pit bulls are bad dogs only because they are owned by trash who want a vicious dog. Guess what? You can make any dog into a vicious dog if you so choose. But if you want to look big and bad, you're not going to have a vicious Maltese, right?

The bottom line is that a pit bull raised by a loving family is one of the LEAST LIKELY breeds to attack a human. My pit bull welcomes every strange into the house with a wagging tail and a sweet face.

Don't believe me? Ask any vet or shelter worker. But perhaps not in Orlando, where the breed apparently has been totally hijacked by a large population of trash.

My local shelter in suburban New York adopts out dozens of pit bulls every year, with no problems. Why? Because trash in not welcome at the shelter.
The trash comment is OTT and offensive and maybe, but it's the potential for serious harm when one does go off the rails that's the real concern.. You wouldn't give a child who's never held or seen one, a loaded weapon would you? Sadly the reality is that MOST pet owners whether cats, dogs or potbellied pigs are equally well versed about their pets regardless of whether or not they fall into the "trash" category or not..

Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,024,656 times
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

One of the largest studies done on the subject and the reason why pit bulls lead the lists (like this one: Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds |The Cozy Pet Blog)

Fact: Pit bulls are one of the breeds most likely to attack people.
Fact: Pit bulls are one of the breeds most likely to cause serious bodily harm or death when they attack.

To me, it is not even about how prone they are to attacking. It it about what a single bite can do to my child (or even to me). It is about how they don't ever just bite AT someone, or bite a person's foot. They go for the throat. They go for the kill, regardless of the circumstances, and they have the size and power to end a life with one bite.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
Please provide factual evidence that says pure-bred pits are 66 times more likely to kill than a lab. The fact that you wouldn't get a pitbull, doesn't mean others should not. Why get a corvette when it's 66 times more likely to speed than a minivan? Most attacks on people are done by mixed dogs that people just automatically label as pitbulls. Pits are aggressive towards other animals by nature, but it's the owners that should know what they're doing. If it's about size ban mastiffs, if it's about aggressiveness ban rottweilers, and the list goes on. A chihuahua is more likely to attack/bite a child than a pitbull and THAT'S A FACT. I would be all about making stricter laws against negligent owners of ANY breed. But banning a certain breed is like banning guns or banning fast cars or banning 40oz cokes or banning what time you can purchase alcohol, or banning your freedom altogether.
I do agree with the premise of your post regarding pet owners and the loss of freedoms but the fact remains in spite of denials to the contrary that pit bulls are far more dangerous and most more aggressive then the average pet with potential to do far greater harm.

How do you regulate the owners?? Require high insurance coverage possibly? Additionally require special training, licensing and credentials possibly? Muzzling? I'd go with all of those and anything else that could be applied for the general safety of the public and an increase in the responsibility of the owners. Want a pit bull? Pay the price, like coveting a Ferrari for example, at least that would also deter the "trash" from owning one as well....

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 PM

129 posts, read 339,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
Please provide factual evidence that says pure-bred pits are 66 times more likely to kill than a lab. The fact that you wouldn't get a pitbull, doesn't mean others should not. Why get a corvette when it's 66 times more likely to speed than a minivan? Most attacks on people are done by mixed dogs that people just automatically label as pitbulls. Pits are aggressive towards other animals by nature, but it's the owners that should know what they're doing. If it's about size ban mastiffs, if it's about aggressiveness ban rottweilers, and the list goes on. A chihuahua is more likely to attack/bite a child than a pitbull and THAT'S A FACT. I would be all about making stricter laws against negligent owners of ANY breed. But banning a certain breed is like banning guns or banning fast cars or banning 40oz cokes or banning what time you can purchase alcohol, or banning your freedom altogether.
Oh my source. This was just a quick google search, the bar for statistics and logic is set pretty low here, so I just used this:
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

Pretty simple, between 1979 and 1998, Pit Bull-types accounts for 66 deaths. Labrador Retrievers 1. Of course, this doesn't take into account the fact that the Lab is the most owned purebred dog in the US, and you can confirm that just about anywhere.

I've already conceded that many other breeds are potentially nastier dogs. They may bite and cause problems, but the difference is, a Pit Bull can kill while (outside of complications with rabies shots or some bizarre circumstances) a Chihuahua cannot.

As for the issue of legislating it, I have no solution for that. My whole point is just that this problem should take care of itself if people simply did not choose to purchase these breeds. There's no sensible reason to choose a Pit Bull over the many other breeds of dogs that post far less potential risk.

Last edited by 4powells; 08-04-2012 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: I removed a negative comment that was probably uncalled for.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

One of the largest studies done on the subject and the reason why pit bulls lead the lists (like this one: Top Ten (10) Most Dangerous Dog Breeds |The Cozy Pet Blog)

Fact: Pit bulls are one of the breeds most likely to attack people.
Fact: Pit bulls are one of the breeds most likely to cause serious bodily harm or death when they attack.

To me, it is not even about how prone they are to attacking. It it about what a single bite can do to my child (or even to me). It is about how they don't ever just bite AT someone, or bite a person's foot. They go for the throat. They go for the kill, regardless of the circumstances, and they have the size and power to end a life with one bite.
You are probably correct. That is because pit bulls are the most likely breed to be owned by trash (obviously prevalent in Orlando), who turn them into killing machines. And guess what? My loving and wonderful 11-year-old pit bull who has NEVER growled at anyone, had she been adopted by trash, could have been made into a killing machine.

IT'S THE FAULT OF THE OWNERS - ALWAYS! THERE ARE NO BAD BREEDS!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
The trash comment is OTT and offensive and maybe, but it's the potential for serious harm when one does go off the rails that's the real concern.. You wouldn't give a child who's never held or seen one, a loaded weapon would you? Sadly the reality is that MOST pet owners whether cats, dogs or potbellied pigs are equally well versed about their pets regardless of whether or not they fall into the "trash" category or not..
Nothing offensive here. There is no racial or ethnic reference. Trash can be of any race or ethnic group.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4powells View Post
Oh my source. This was just a quick google search, the bar for statistics and logic is set pretty low here, so I just used this:
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

Pretty simple, between 1979 and 1998, Pit Bull-types accounts for 66 deaths. Labrador Retrievers 1. Of course, this doesn't take into account the fact that the Lab is the most owned purebred dog in the US, and you can confirm that just about anywhere.
It also doesn't take into account that Labrador Retrievers are expensive dogs (typically over $1,000) that are purchased by loving families who raise them to be wonderful dogs. Pit bull are bred by trash, and are given away to other human debris who abuse them, fight them, and train them to be vicious. If it were the other way around, the Labs would be the vicious dogs.

PS - with the exception of two dogs (one was too sick, and one was too dangerous), EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MICHAEL VICKS PIT BULLS WERE SUCCESSFULLY ADOPTED, INCLUDING ONE THAT IS THE HOUSE DOG AT A NURSING HOME. HOW CAN THAT BE?

Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Nothing offensive here. There is no racial or ethnic reference. Trash can be of any race or ethnic group.
It is offensive because you are implying that anyone who owns a pitbull in Orlando is trash.

And I'm not particularly fond of the breed, regardless of who owns it or where they live.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
It also doesn't take into account that Labrador Retrievers are expensive dogs (typically over $1,000) that are purchased by loving families who raise them to be wonderful dogs. Pit bull are bred by trash, and are given away to other human debris who abuse them, fight them, and train them to be vicious. If it were the other way around, the Labs would be the vicious dogs.

PS - with the exception of two dogs (one was too sick, and one was too dangerous), EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MICHAEL VICKS PIT BULLS WERE SUCCESSFULLY ADOPTED, INCLUDING ONE THAT IS THE HOUSE DOG AT A NURSING HOME. HOW CAN THAT BE?
Not sure where you're shopping, but I can get a pure bred lab from a local shelter for about $75 in adoption fees.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Oh yeeeeesss! There's hoards of Lab fighting gangs roaming the community as they're so vicious and formidable when trained as such they've such a killer instinct (if you're a duck). You can get Labs virtually anywhere for free they're no more expensive then the price people choose to pay for them..

Interesting you used Micheal Vick as an example, do you think he could have afforded killer labs for his fighting rings? Or are there other reasons he choose Pits over Labs?
And I wonder how he fits into your description of "trash" ?

Last edited by HomesickFloridian; 08-05-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: