Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 64,163 times

Advertisements

are pit bulls illegal in orlando?

(banned by a city ordinance like miami or otherwise?)

i am a responsible pit bull owner who is hoping to move to the area soon, and was wondering if i will be able to bring my two pit bulls along. i realize the problems with finding a rental that will allow pits, but i am simply wondering if it will be LEGAL to have the breed in orlando/orange county, florida.
thanks!!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
Yes, pit bulls are legal in Orlando. However, that's not to say they won't be banned in the future- they aren't all that popular and you'll find many apartment complexes that won't allow them.

How shall I put this... down here the majority of people that seem interested in these kinds of dogs are poorer people from Central America/the Carribean and trailer trash/rednecks. Maybe there are responsible owners out there, but there are far too many cases of these dogs turning into antisocial monsters or being abused for sport. Occasionally a dog fighting ring involving pit bulls is busted.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 PM

8 posts, read 59,248 times
No, but they should be.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
No...I don`t really see the appeal of these dogs .

Old 01-19-2008, 03:54 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
They have been very popular dogs for a long, long time. They are very friendly to people.
They can be great family pets. They have also been abused by people using them as fighting dogs. Once a dog has been trained to fight, there is nothing that can be done to help them.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM

101 posts, read 847,848 times
Default No Bull

LILY is right and all the illegal use and abuse of them has put everyone on alert. Unfortunately, this is the dog of choice for a certain class of people who have no business owning any animal. and

As well, Florida is arife with low life people who operate puppy mills and sell them by the hundreds from inbreeding practices and "ready to go"

You will find that places that rent will have them blacklisted. It is a liability to them. Too many children are mauled by them.

If you buy a home, NO insurance company will insure you and if they do, you will pay some heavy liability umbrella premiums.

These problems aren't only enforceable city and county ordinances and laws, but included in the by- laws of condo associations and homeowners associations who can, not only fine you, but can lien your home for non-compliance.

My son had a pit bull. His second. IT is a very sweet dog that came from a clean blood line and reputable breeders (something you have to be scrupulous about and check before buying one). He has only babied it.

Most anyone will agree, it is not the inherent temperment of the dog to be vicious.....it is, however the inclination of people to be irresponsible and cruel.

We all pay for the actions of a few.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Yes, a certain class (MIke Vick)

[

Your quote
And as far as people saying that only one certain "class of people" own these dogs, you are so wrong. You might be surprised to learn that pit bulls have been the breed of choice of the military, presidents of our nation,

What I said was that this breed of dog is the choice of a "certain class of people" which is absolutely true. These are the kinds of people that give the dogs a bad name----and usually a bad disposition.

There are responsible people (like my son who has had two Pit Bulls), who baby their dogs and train them well. BUT,
the MAJORITY of breeders and owners of dogs shouldn't have pets. (ANOTHER FACT FROM ASPCA)

AS A REALTOR, I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SHOWN HOMES TO CLIENTS WHERE DOGS AND CATS WERE IN CAGES IN A 100 DEGREE GARAGE, WHILE THEIR OWNERS WORKED. If you can't deal with the odor, the hair, or a few chewed up legs, then don't get a pet. If you can't spendd time exercising the animal - don't get one.

Dogs and cats may not be intellectually developed but they are LIVING things that need to be treated with the same care as a CHILD or any other human. If you don't agree- don't get a pet. MY opinion, and I have raised FIVE generations of Weimaraners.

If people who love the dog and lawmakers were genuinely concerned about these factors, they would push for legislation that prohibited BREEDERS from breeding but a limited number of litters a year and make spay and neuter mandatory... this, I believe should be done by the government because you can't depend of people to have enough common sense to solve their own problems - only create more.

Last edited by xtranaut; 01-21-2008 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM

51 posts, read 243,796 times
That is stupid and unconstitutional to ban a certain dog breed.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Who said Ban?

WHO SUGGESTED banning any breed of dog?

Unfortunately, there are lots of ignorant and irresponsible people in this country and some good preventative laws wouldn't hurt...so that we are protected from IDIOTS ... not dogs.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 64,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtranaut View Post
WHO SUGGESTED banning any breed of dog?

Unfortunately, there are lots of ignorant and irresponsible people in this country and some good preventative laws wouldn't hurt...so that we are protected from IDIOTS ... not dogs.

I absolutely agree.

and as for who suggested it- good question!! BSL (breed specific legislation) efforts started in California a few years ago, and are slowly spreading. BSL targets dog breeds that are considered aggressive and seeks to reduce and/or completely eliminate the breed from an area, largely through euthanization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: