Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Orlando City fans want $30 million for new stadium - Orlando Sentinel

This was a sad video to watch.
If I were in fiscal disbursement in Tallahassee I'd cut all funding for this stadium and reinvest it in alcohol intervention and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:43 PM

217 posts, read 325,965 times
I would get your facts straight on the stadium funding topic:
Phil Rawlins: Setting The Record Straight | Orlando City Soccer Club

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Orlando City fans want $30 million for new stadium - Orlando Sentinel

This was a sad video to watch.
If I were in fiscal disbursement in Tallahassee I'd cut all funding for this stadium and reinvest it in alcohol intervention and education.

I am not sure what I saw compared to what you saw.....1 person had no clue but the rest seemed pretty normal. They are not going to church. It really is OK for young people to have fun.

My thoughts on the stadium though.... it will be a waste of money because it is too small. The fans have already proven on several occasions that they are able to fill a bigger stadium and even filled the Citrus Bowl which has about 3 times the number of seats the new stadium will have. Personally, I think they should continue playing in the Citrus Bowl.

I must have been writing as Adam, posted. Had no idea it was from the league that they required a stadium in the deal, so I guess the Citrus Bowl won't work......Still need more seats in the new stadium though or a lot of fans will be left out.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
I would get your facts straight on the stadium funding topic:
Phil Rawlins: Setting The Record Straight | Orlando City Soccer Club
I didn't present any facts.
I shared a video that I found insulting as an educated person who has stuck up for this city.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I don't really think all of the people seemed all that unintelligent. There was one who was clearly drunk out of his mind, and I think it's likely that many of the other ones were at least buzzed. They were put on the spot in front of a television camera, without having time to get any background information. The background information, at least from what I saw, makes me think that it is a worthwhile investment, at least compared to some other things that get passed through. Having a second major league team in the city will undoubtedly help with the region's reputation, which it really has increased the vibrancy of the downtown area, and I do believe from having gone to a game and another watch party that it has helped local businesses and the region become more lively. It will also be pretty big for foreign tourism, namely Brazil, who has already had a steady influx into the City of Orlando away from the theme parks, having the soccer stadium down there makes this even more of a tourist destination.

Regarding stadium size: Two things. I think that it's likely that in many cases, Orlando City could draw more than the 20K or so stadium allotment present there, but, keep in mind:

1. This is at the early stages (first year) of an MLS franchise so hype is at an all time high, they have a globally iconic player (Kaka), and the weather is just now starting to suck, it has been great for the first few games.

2. Supply and Demand. What are generally among the most expensive tickets in sports? Duke Basketball, Boston Red Sox, The Masters. What do all three of those have in common? Small venue size. When you think you can't get tickets, the market for tickets is pretty competitive, at least IMHO.

I am NOT someone who preaches wasteful spending, and I'm sure there are some sports stadiums and franchises that are bad deals for their cities. How bad, IDK, whether the hidden attraction of being a "Big League" city has some invisible economic effect on travel and reputation and happiness and businesses moving there, I can't say. But, I do think that at least from my understanding of what Rawlins has said and what has been done so far, this is a good deal for the city.

I just hope that they'll find some semi-regular purpose for the Citrus Bowl eventually, what that is, IDK, but unless we bring a Super Bowl or CFB Championship in here, that $200 million or so isn't looking very well spent right now.

To the OP: Guys like Bill O'Reilly and Jimmy Kimmel have specific segments where they go searching for people I think that are going to give answers like that. It's just a fact of life, regardless of what city you go to.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Other than Captain Tattoo I didn't really see anything insulting in the video. Everyone else seemed to present their arguments from an informed standpoint. I was at the game this weekend and I can tell you I was insulted too, insulted by our lack of offense!

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 04-28-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM

To those who state they see nothing wrong with what's stated :

The first interviewed catches himself between the funding coming from the state and not city, but makes a contrived sentence out of it. He follows through saying Orlando would just be a tourist destination, which it is, but then calls it a rest stop- which is generally a midpoint en route to a tourist destination.

I don't see the major problem of a city being less than great because it's tourism focused. Sad that Orlando isn't more diversified, but you don't see WDW asking the state for 30 million to fund their projects. Quite the opposite- tourism brings in money to the state. No doubt MLS will too.

I find the comment "Be smart, not political", a little offensive especially if I were a lawmaker.
Legislative session has earmarked the money, but it will be disbursed if all discussions are resolved before the end of session. Now granted, I think any items left on the table at the end of a legislative session should result in the immediate termination of the state employees paid to do that job, however... this isn't a withhold of funds already in hand. This type of thing happens, a lot. Don't say you'll build something in a year without cash in hand.

Then, the girls... "Why wouldn't you want to see MLS thrive in one of the most ethnically diverse states in the whole country?" Why would you say that to a state lawmaker? They know what state you're dealing with... they only handle one.

The last guy is obviously kind of out of it.

... worst case scenario of no new stadium next year, they stay at Citrus Bowl.
Not that big a deal.

Don't mean to rain on sports fans parade- hope all goes well with the new construction.
These guys are -not- pleading a very good case though.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
To those who state they see nothing wrong with what's stated :

The first interviewed catches himself between the funding coming from the state and not city, but makes a contrived sentence out of it. He follows through saying Orlando would just be a tourist destination, which it is, but then calls it a rest stop- which is generally a midpoint en route to a tourist destination.

I don't see the major problem of a city being less than great because it's tourism focused. Sad that Orlando isn't more diversified, but you don't see WDW asking the state for 30 million to fund their projects. Quite the opposite- tourism brings in money to the state. No doubt MLS will too.

I find the comment "Be smart, not political", a little offensive especially if I were a lawmaker.
Legislative session has earmarked the money, but it will be disbursed if all discussions are resolved before the end of session. Now granted, I think any items left on the table at the end of a legislative session should result in the immediate termination of the state employees paid to do that job, however... this isn't a withhold of funds already in hand. This type of thing happens, a lot. Don't say you'll build something in a year without cash in hand.

Then, the girls... "Why wouldn't you want to see MLS thrive in one of the most ethnically diverse states in the whole country?" Why would you say that to a state lawmaker? They know what state you're dealing with... they only handle one.

The last guy is obviously kind of out of it.

... worst case scenario of no new stadium next year, they stay at Citrus Bowl.
Not that big a deal.

Don't mean to rain on sports fans parade- hope all goes well with the new construction.
These guys are -not- pleading a very good case though.
What I'm generally confused about is you say I stick up for Orlando like its a bad place to be and its not. As for diverse economy I guess that's what your referring to so fyi its actually getting better and better so don't go there. I understand the whole funding situation with the stadium but people voted for this legislature and this what you get.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
What I'm generally confused about is you say I stick up for Orlando like its a bad place to be and its not. As for diverse economy I guess that's what your referring to so fyi its actually getting better and better so don't go there. I understand the whole funding situation with the stadium but people voted for this legislature and this what you get.
Generally confused. That describes it.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I am not sure what I saw compared to what you saw.....1 person had no clue but the rest seemed pretty normal. They are not going to church. It really is OK for young people to have fun.

My thoughts on the stadium though.... it will be a waste of money because it is too small. The fans have already proven on several occasions that they are able to fill a bigger stadium and even filled the Citrus Bowl which has about 3 times the number of seats the new stadium will have. Personally, I think they should continue playing in the Citrus Bowl.

I must have been writing as Adam, posted. Had no idea it was from the league that they required a stadium in the deal, so I guess the Citrus Bowl won't work......Still need more seats in the new stadium though or a lot of fans will be left out.
The 30K per game we are pulling is not sustainable in the long term IMO. We are still not anywhere near out of the honeymoon phase yet. I think the 20K stadium size is good, and if they want to expand it after a few years of solid 24k+ attendance, then expand. You don't build a stadium to accommodate every possible fan. You want sellouts and waiting lists. The stadium plans are built with expansion in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: