Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:05 AM

107 posts, read 120,392 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to the Orlando area. My husband is already down there working. I've been doing research on the schools and found that Lake Mary HS is a good fit for us. My husband drove through the Lake Mary / Heathrow area and said he loves the communities west of I4 (Heathrow area) which falls into our home price range. The problem is that all of those schools seem to go to Seminole HS. I've read some pretty scary stuff about that high school. Can we live in the Heathrow area and send our kids to Lake Mary HS? Where do all the people in Heathrow send their kids? Seminole HS? Private schools? I would welcome all input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:52 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I've Seminole is a good school now. Well if the new law passes your kids might be able to go to any school they want as long as they can provide their own transportation. Have you considered taking a look at Wekiva/Lake Brantley area? Nearby and similar to the Heathrow area, many homebuyers look at both areas. It's zoned for Lake Brantley HS which is Lake Mary's rival, the two are very similar academic, athletics and arts wise.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 AM

48 posts, read 60,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I've Seminole is a good school now. Well if the new law passes your kids might be able to go to any school they want as long as they can provide their own transportation
I hadn't heard about this, are they considering eliminating school attendance zones? Is this in serious discussion or just on some delegates wish list? Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Open enrollment school choice bill clears final House committee hurdle | Tampa Bay Times

Old 05-01-2015, 08:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
Our family is relocating to the Orlando area. My husband is already down there working. I've been doing research on the schools and found that Lake Mary HS is a good fit for us. My husband drove through the Lake Mary / Heathrow area and said he loves the communities west of I4 (Heathrow area) which falls into our home price range. The problem is that all of those schools seem to go to Seminole HS. I've read some pretty scary stuff about that high school. Can we live in the Heathrow area and send our kids to Lake Mary HS? Where do all the people in Heathrow send their kids? Seminole HS? Private schools? I would welcome all input. Thanks!
How bad is Seminole HS? ...Seminole High School in SANFORD, FL | Best High Schools | US News

The better question would be how bad is Lake Mary HS?... which has a pretty well documented drug problem and it's not anywhere within the link provided above. Bear in mind much of what you read and heard about SHS is old/outdated. Schools do change over the years...

Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrvet View Post
Also bear in mind much of that area west of I-4 is *gasp*....Sanford.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,618 times
Spend more time actually visiting the schools to determine if they're right for your kids rather than listening to a bunch of hoity toity white bourgeois people giving their mindless opinions of them.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirrorpj20 View Post
Spend more time actually visiting the schools to determine if they're right for your kids rather than listening to a bunch of hoity toity white bourgeois people giving their mindless opinions of them.
I agree 100% as that's the information they're most likely receiving elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
You'll be good in any Seminole County high school. There are bad crowds everywhere, and you'll just have to train your child to avoid those types. If your child is in the AP/IB track and/or heavily involved in the arts or something, they'll avoid those crowds pretty naturally.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 PM

107 posts, read 120,392 times
Both of my children are on the honors/AP track at their current school and both play sports all year so I think they will be fine. Thanks for all the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando