Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 832 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - I am trying to relocate to the Orlando area from my existing home in upstate New York. I was trying to get a foreclosure and have not had any luck. I came across a company called shortpropertysales.com and they appear to have a lot of houses that are foreclosures and short sales but I am not sure about working with them. Has anyone tried this company? I would love to hear about any experience you may have had before I give them my business. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM

536 posts, read 853,431 times
I would suggest you come to Orlando to scout & view Active REO (bank owned) listings in person, rather than relying on a multi-state marketing outfit helping you purchase from long distance.

If you're willing to handle the rehab, there are plenty of REO properties available, active on the MFRMLS right now.

And as the market continues to rebound, I am seeing more & more REO properties actually being rehabbed by the investor or bank holding the note, & then selling those foreclosures in even better condition. The bargain basement fire-sale days are long gone.

As to short sales...they are absolutely being phased out. The government allowed the tax laws to expire that previously enabled a seller to escape taxation on the forgiven debt. The official policy has changed. They're really trying to discourage further upside down owners from bailing on their property as an exit strategy at this late date.

The Recession is over, the market is rebounding, & many banks feel that they pull a higher return on an REO sale that they control, as opposed to a short sale that may have been submitted at an artificially lower price from a friend of the seller, or an "insider" client of the listing broker.

As of Jan 2015, Closed Foreclosure Sales outnumbered Closed Short Sales 605 to 134 in the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford MSA. Foreclosures are up 51% while Short Sales are down 42%. Successful short sales are becoming less & less common.

My advice is to find a local broker here in Orlando to work with, in close vicinity to the area you wish to purchase & live in.

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 05-03-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 06:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
Not a real estate person, but from my observations after seeing all these sad foreclosures down here (1) the glory days of a real steal are over and (2) these houses have been vacant for so long without AC, pest control, etc who knows what could be growing between the walls.

I would advise anyone I cared about to look at either a new home or one lived in for those reasons. unless you had lots of $ to gut and start anew inside.

And it does seem to me that REO holders might be putting more dollars into upkeep than they did during the boom years of foreclosures.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
A foreclosure doesn't mean a great deal. You must look at each home, does it require lots of repairs? how much? what area are they in, features, so forth. Many miss the real deals because they skip the other homes out there.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Keep in mind that a seller (bank) isn't required to disclose a problem with the home if they don't know about it. I know of a home about to be REO with ongoing mold problems which will probably require gutting to the studs to remediate, and the bank has no idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando