Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times

Advertisements

There is so much more to do here than the theme parks. Makes me wonder what some of these people who only see the theme parks are doing, walking around with their eyes closed?

There is hiking, biking, boating, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, concerts GALORE (more than we had in Chicago I would say), shows (ie, theater/dance - check out the schedule for Dr Phillips Center for the Performing arts), farmer's markets, art shows, festivals (Strawberry festival, Oktoberfests, etc), food truck nights, car racing (not my thing, but lots of people like it!), county fairs, botanical gardens, state parks, a couple museums, and the list goes on. Seriously, you could do SO many things without ever even going near the theme parks. People need to OPEN THEIR EYES.

One could also mention that there are beaches within an hour's drive to either coast. That goes without saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
There is so much more to do here than the theme parks. Makes me wonder what some of these people who only see the theme parks are doing, walking around with their eyes closed?

There is hiking, biking, boating, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, concerts GALORE (more than we had in Chicago I would say), shows (ie, theater/dance - check out the schedule for Dr Phillips Center for the Performing arts), farmer's markets, art shows, festivals (Strawberry festival, Oktoberfests, etc), food truck nights, car racing (not my thing, but lots of people like it!), county fairs, botanical gardens, state parks, a couple museums, and the list goes on. Seriously, you could do SO many things without ever even going near the theme parks. People need to OPEN THEIR EYES.

One could also mention that there are beaches within an hour's drive to either coast. That goes without saying.
Exactly, I find there is so much more to do here from shopping, biking, concerts, shows, fishing, festivals, markets, hiking, boating, swimming, snorkeling, food trucks, etc etc etc. There aren't many places that offer so much to do in such a small area and PLUS we have theme parks where people save for years just to visit a week or two. We are spoiled here in my opinion. Now if somebody wants to live in an apartment and walk or take the bus everywhere, then I can understand them not liking it here. However, for me at least, I've been there, done that... it's cool as a tourist, but gets tiring as a resident (at least for me).

Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 PM

85 posts, read 99,342 times
As a vet from St. Pete I have lived in 8 states. If you hate Orlando I feel bad for you. You must have unrealistic expectaions of America, or you need to find a relationship or a hobby. Orlando isn't half bad. There is a lot to do here!

Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

The list you just rattled off is something one can find in most mid-sized American cities and hardly unique assets. If one isn't blown over by amusement parks, it's really no different than anywhere else which I think is the point that was being made.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 AM

17,188 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The list you just rattled off is something one can find in most mid-sized American cities and hardly unique assets. If one isn't blown over by amusement parks, it's really no different than anywhere else which I think is the point that was being made.
Correct. As I stated in an earlier post, it's a very plain city. On a structural standpoint, it's pretty much like anywhere else in NA. However, the weather puts Orlando at a huge advantage over those other cities. It's borderline tropical (January being the only reason why it isn't listed as tropical) and sunny year-round. None of that doomsday gloom that you experience in other areas.

Basically, you take your general, average, plain American city, and drop in in an ideal climate, plus plop it an hour's drive from two separate coasts, not to mention you're extremely close to the Bahamas, Cuba, the Keys... If you're into water sports, you can jetskii, fish, boat year round, visit the springs, go hiking...

If you look at it from more than just a structural standpoint, it does offer quite a bit. Its geographical location is ideal.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Correct. As I stated in an earlier post, it's a very plain city. On a structural standpoint, it's pretty much like anywhere else in NA. However, the weather puts Orlando at a huge advantage over those other cities. It's borderline tropical (January being the only reason why it isn't listed as tropical) and sunny year-round. None of that doomsday gloom that you experience in other areas.

Basically, you take your general, average, plain American city, and drop in in an ideal climate, plus plop it an hour's drive from two separate coasts, not to mention you're extremely close to the Bahamas, Cuba, the Keys... If you're into water sports, you can jetskii, fish, boat year round, visit the springs, go hiking...

If you look at it from more than just a structural standpoint, it does offer quite a bit. Its geographical location is ideal.
That's all assuming one finds seven to eight months of summer heat and humidity "ideal". I like it myself and after many years of cold/chilly wish it was actually longer but I think some have a romanticized image of palm trees swaying in balmy breezes and are shocked when the reality doesn't play out since as we know here on City-Data/Florida many don't perform due diligence before moving here. I guess my point is there's no such thing as a universal "ideal" and accept the idea that people can/will not like Orlando, and not have to feel like they're being beat up for it. Not everyone can pack up and go elsewhere at the drop of a hat either, so there is the presence of a lot of stuck individuals who might wish they were elsewhere.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
What other cities offers the same quality of these things? Honest question. I've driven across the country three times, traveled to most of the major cities. I haven't found anywhere else that offers as many things to do. A

Tourists have generated so many attractions that no other city can compete in that regard. The natural springs make Central Florida very unique to the rest of the country. Where else can you drive 30 minutes and be able to swim/snorkel/dive/kayak in crystal clear fresh water? The availability of housing allows even non-2%-ers to own a nice home. You can drive to multiple beaches and return the same day. It's lush and green all year long.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Oh boy, the "everyone is a loser jerk except me" troll is back lol.
I thought the same thing!!
It's a little entertaining.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Quote:
Wrong. I couldn't do most of these things back in Chicago. Hiking? Nope. Biking, kind of, but biking on City streets was NOT fun, and getting to designated bike paths usually meant a long drive first. Kayaking? Canoeing? Fishing? Nope, nope, nope. Shows? Yes. But the cost for tickets/parking was exorbitant!!!! Insane.

Seriously, there is SO much more to do here than in Chicago it isn't even funny.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
I couldn't do most of these things back in Chicago. Hiking? Nope. Biking, kind of, but biking on City streets was NOT fun, and getting to designated bike paths usually meant a long drive first. Kayaking? Canoeing? Fishing? Nope, nope, nope.
all of the above can be done in Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando