Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,047 times

Advertisements

So where do you go near the beach in florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 AM

169 posts, read 653,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
Hey King, where do you live in Orlando (generally speaking...obviously I'm not asking for your address)? Maybe that will provide a little context for your discontent.

I mean, I am pretty open-minded and I can see the real downsides here, but the things you say don't seem to fit with my experiences. I mean, most of the crime is west of I4 or around Orange Blossom trail. Just look at the murder map: for all the talk of Orlando as a crime-filled cesspool there were NONE in downtown Orlando all last year. They were all in pretty much areas that I never go, or, in a few cases, they were private domestic issues. Maybe you hang out in those areas?

So like, the thing I don't get, is you seem to LITERALLY be in pain because of STATISTICS. I mean, isn't what you actually experience kind of more important? That's why I'm curious where you live that is such a cess pool.

I know that some places in Orlando are really boring and ugly. I mean that's for sure. But the idea that it's absolute hell, especially when you don't have to go to such places anyway, I just don't see it. Help me out.

ores
I live in an area North of Town and I don't see shootings out my front door on a daily basis. I don't try to cheapen or explain away the alarming crime numbers by saying there wasn't a murder on these two blocks so the area is basically safe. You can be a victim of a crime anywhere in Orlando because crime has no boundaries if allowed to run rampant. A man was killed waiting for a bus outside the Bank of America building. To judge a cities murder rate by saying there were no killings downtown is totally misleading. Downtown Orlando is basically two blocks Rosalind and Orange Avenue with about 3/4 of a mile between colonial and South Street. NOBODY, yes no-one lives in that area. They have put up two buildings in the last several years, one called the view and one called 55 west. 55 West just announced it was going bankrupt and the people who bought at the view are being laughed at all the way to the foreclosure lines. At 10PM stand outside the View and what you will realize is that 5 people live in the entire building. Having said that, the majority of murders are drug deals, domestics and home invasions. There are no domestics and no home invasions (nobody lives downtown) so that leaves drug deals which generally only take place where thugs live (2 blocks west of downtown), and that explains your distorted statistic of Orlando being safe when the opposite is true. Orlando has the highest crime rate in the state and one of the hightest in the country. I guess you'll come back and say that I'm involved in a conspiracy with FDLE to make Orlando look bad because of my divorce.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom/data/orl-2006crimedata-counties-chart,0,82 (broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,939,598 times
You don`t consider Thornton park and eola downtown? More then 5 people live downtown. You are talking about the Central Business district.

But I do agree for a city it`s size the crime is bad along with orange county.

I do think Orlando is going thru some changes and will get better. If not I guess I always have the option of leaving but at this time it`s not in my plans.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 AM

169 posts, read 653,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
You don`t consider Thornton park and eola downtown? More then 5 people live downtown. You are talking about the Central Business district.

But I do agree for a city it`s size the crime is bad along with orange county.

I do think Orlando is going thru some changes and will get better. If not I guess I always have the option of leaving but at this time it`s not in my plans.
Alphaman how is it going to get better when each criminal that gets sentenced to prison has 5 children with 5 different mothers, while the working two parent college educated homes (which in this town pale in comparison to the former group) are having one or two children at best??? Do the math, over the next 10 to 20 years. And now, based on this wonderul politically correct nation we have, learning English is no longer required. This area is feeling those numbers far more than others because of the low level service industry jobs created by Disney combined with the fact that affluent educated people are being driven away by these factors and the high crime these "undesirables" bring. There is no plan in place for it to get better!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,118,312 times
Dude, you should move. You are describing somewhere way worse than ANYWHERE in Florida.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM

19 posts, read 64,692 times
Default ehh-

orlando isnt all bad- if you dont mind blistering heat, lost tourists, crazy traffic, and the occasional hurricane, its quite nice. just keep in mind there are some bad areas, and florida has very liberal self-defense/gun laws. in other words think twice before you mess with a local- i know lots of people are just waiting for a reason to blow your head off, trust me.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:35 PM

258 posts, read 809,333 times
I don't hate Orlando at all. I that the majority of people who do hate Orlando have been disenchanted after moving here from somewhere else, and found that we aren't some kind of utopia like they expected. Every city has problems - we aren't special in that regard.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM

544 posts, read 1,465,633 times
Agree 100%. Also in general, I find people who move to FL (not necessarily Orlando but say Sarasota) want some utopia that doesnt exist and if they really love subdivision living where it is like a yr round vacation, then theyre either kidding themselves or they love the idea of some scam dream they got sold from the US government and they havent come to grips with the fact they got sold out.
FL, Cal, AZ and Nevada have tons of these planned communities and where are they going? Down the ****ter.
The north will survive the downturn quite well compared to many spots in FL. I have to get out of FL and I am and its the best move Im ever gonna do in my life. Im going back to MA. Cant stand it here.

Last edited by cmj_fla; 04-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Removed Orphaned quote.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM

910 posts, read 2,315,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
To say that it is a few people that despise Orlando is a gross mischaracterization. I have never remotely lived in an area where the majority of people despise where they live (RIGHTFULLY) and want to get out in the worst way, but are stuck because of job, family or circumstance. Feel free to click on my profile and view my past posts which examine every facet of Orlando life backed up with empirical data that shows that this place is a living "HELL ON EARTH."
Well, you pretty much sum it up. But please try and be a little gentler, I do have a house to sell in a couple years, and want a decent price for it.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,315,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLee22 View Post
I'm getting ready to move to the area and I haven't ever been there, so I was just wondering.
You'll find out for yourself soon enough when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando