Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,044 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! My bf & I are planning a trip to go to Disney for a day (probably will stay at a rest off property) and were wanting to spend the rest of the time at the beach. What are the best beaches near Orlando (we will be driving) and does anyone recommend any campsites near those beaches?

We would like to camp RIGHT UP ON the beach but I understand this might not be possible but we would like to be able to at least have a short walk to the beach.

Also any tips for visiting disney on a budget?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
I'd check out Ft. Desoto Park over in St. Pete. The campsites are on the water and the beach there is absolutely stunning. It's a bit further away from Orlando that the east coast but totally worth it.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Cocoa is the closest beach to Orlando, one of my favorite in all of Florida as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:27 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I second Ft Desoto Park in St Pete/Tierra Verde

Fort De Soto Park | Visit St Pete Clearwater

Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Fort DeSoto Park is probably my favorite beach in the state with the combination of pristine sands, a historic fort, camping and recreational opportunities, along with relative lack of crowds.

There are 4 beaches that I think could be considered, "Orlando Beaches".

Daytona is the largest city and screams tourists, but is also the flattest one and as such is really good for running and biking, plus there is a boardwalk, the Daytona racetrack and other things to see in town. I tend to remember hearing that the observatory at Embry Riddle is best in the region if that's your thing.

New Smyrna is a little more quaint, and offers more of a New England Beach Town vibe with little restaurants and shops dotting Flagler Avenue. It's more of a weekend escape between the city and town.

Canaveral National Seashore is an awesome area of protected, primitive beaches that I believe along with Cocoa are the two that allow alcohol. There are plenty more recreational opportunities in this spot, including paddling the bioluminescent waters of Mosquito Lagoon during the summer months, watching rocket launches, and of course visiting nearby Kennedy Space Center. It does have an entry fee. Also, I've been before and haven't seen anyone while there, but I believe Playalinda is a nude beach, so keep that in mind if that would make you uncomfortable.

Cocoa Beach seems to be "the standard" beach among locals. Probably the best place to meet local Orlando residents on the water or watch surfing. It has a pier, but then it also has a nice little pedestrian area across the water (Cocoa Village)

Not much unique to say about Melbourne, except that it might be quieter than Cocoa and also offers a pedestrian food district, albeit a smaller one than NSB or Cocoa.

I really try and mix up which one I go to to keep it interesting, though honestly anymore I prefer a trip to springs such as Kelly Park over the beach.

Keep in mind that the Atlantic Beaches can be reached in around an hour from Orlando for the most part, whereas Fort DeSoto would take almost 2 hours. But, it is one of my favorite places. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Well now I feel just plain stupid after reading your whole response lol. Yes, Fort DeSoto is great in that regard. Further up the Atlantic Coast (about 1:15 and 1:35 from Orlando respectively) are Flagler Beach and Anastasia State Park (St. Augustine). Both are relatively removed from the tourist bustle, or so I believe, and they offer camping opportunities. Especially if you enjoy history, I recommend Anastasia, as it neighbors the oldest city in America, St. Augustine.

Fort DeSoto is still a fantastic option, just throwing another idea out there.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:27 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I am told that Canaveral National Seashore is wonderful, although I haven't been there myself. However, one thing to keep in mind: you do have to pay a fee to enter, and if they get too many people they close the entrance and no more can get in. This happened to my son and his wife a couple of months ago.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I am told that Canaveral National Seashore is wonderful, although I haven't been there myself. However, one thing to keep in mind: you do have to pay a fee to enter, and if they get too many people they close the entrance and no more can get in. This happened to my son and his wife a couple of months ago.
I believe it's only like $5 to drive your car through the gate.
Every time I've been, it's been pretty quiet and peaceful.
Keep in mind, the very end of Playalinda Beach is nude, so if that's not your thing, avoid the final strip. (It's pretty far out, so you're unlikely to get there anyway.)

Old 05-07-2015, 08:19 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesirecat123 View Post
Hi guys! My bf & I are planning a trip to go to Disney for a day (probably will stay at a rest off property) and were wanting to spend the rest of the time at the beach. What are the best beaches near Orlando (we will be driving) and does anyone recommend any campsites near those beaches?

We would like to camp RIGHT UP ON the beach but I understand this might not be possible but we would like to be able to at least have a short walk to the beach.

Also any tips for visiting disney on a budget?

Thanks!
Do you have a camper or will you be tent camping? Do you want bars and music at night or to just sit back and relax in the campground.

Fort Desota is cool, but sort of a longish drive . West coast beaches do not get the waves of the East Coast.

My 3 favorite places on the East Coast to camp close to the beach.
In Daytona we camped out at Tomoka State Park. It is not right on the beach but is on water a short drive from the beach. It is a beautiful campground and gives you a feel of old Florida.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...YAAAAA&rlst=fn

That would be close to the main beaches of Daytona Beach, but go further South on A!A to the Ponce Inlet area for the beaches aand the light house. The tour of the Daytona International Speedway is cool for anyone who is interested in racing, too.

In Cocoa Beach area you can camp close to the beach at Jetty Park. The Official Home of Jetty Park Beach and Campground | Port Canaveral, Florida It is a little drive for nightlife but a great place to camp and beach it.

Another great area to camp at the beach is Sebastian Inlet about 10-15 miles South on A1A from Melbourne area beaches. It is a beatiful area. Has a pier and great fishing and surfing. https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Sebastian-Inlet

Now for Disney.....Hard to do on a budget. Basically there are 4 major parks and 2 water parks. All worth a full day. Cheaper days if you go more than 1 day. Magic Kingdom has a higher 1 day ticket than the others.
Which park do you plan to go to? Check out the WDW website to see what each park offers if you have never been there. First timers should probably make the Magic Kingdom their first park to see, though. One way to save money is bring in a lunch and a water bottle in a backpack . That will save $100 easy or you can share meals or order children's meals. You can get free water from the restaurants. Get there at opening and stay till close. If you think you want to see more than one park either plan a 2nd day or you can spend about $50 more a ticket and make it a hopper pass where you can jump to another park. Leave the car at 1 park and take the Disney transportation to get to the other. The minute you get to a park check on getting fast passes for rides so you do not have to wait as long in line.

Have fun. Florida is a great place to vacation and camping at the beach is fun. Either bring some boogie boards or rent them or surf boards at a surf shop. If you come to Cocoa Beach check out Ron Jons.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
[quote=Arcenal352;39520516]I believe it's only like $5 to drive your car through the gate.
Every time I've been, it's been pretty quiet and peaceful.
Keep in mind, the very end of Playalinda Beach is nude, so if that's not your thing, avoid the final strip. (It's pretty far out, so you're unlikely to get there anyway.)[/QUOTE

I think it might be $10 per car load to get into the park. If you are 50 you can get the lifetime National Park pass which gets you and a number of guests into most National Parks.

There are also nature trails and a drive that goes through the marsh and great sites of the VAB building and launch pads at KSC etc. . Sometimes the road out there is closed so always check the site. There is no camping out there. Canaveral National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

There is no running water at the beach so you need to bring in all food and water for the day. We bring gallon jugs to wash off salt and sand before heading home. I think there are 13 beach accesses with a block bathroom(port-o-potty inside) at each parking lot. Surfers tend to be down in the 4-8 areas. The swimsuit optional area(actually against the law in Brevard County but on National Property so it gets a pass most days) is the last parking area, but on busy weekends might move up to the next access area too. We have never been there when the parking lots are full-usually just a few people at each access. First access usually has more cars and it is cool to watch a launch from there. During shuttle days if a shuttle was on the pad, the road to the park would close. No manned flights right now so easier to enjoy the park.

One cool thing that has happened at the park. Yesterday a Leatherback endangered sea turtle came in during the day to lay her eggs. They usually only come in after dark. Wish we could have seen that. If you do see one remember not to disturb them or their eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando