Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 AM

46 posts, read 54,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ridership counts are based on one way ticket sales in most commuter rail systems so the 3,674 (or so) a day that was the average the first year, winds up being just over 1800 passengers a day over 31 miles of track with 12 stations and an initial investment of just over 1 Billion dollars, which if my math is right is just over 550K per passenger utilizing it. Incredible...
Yup, just like when you buy a $400,000 house, and spend $10,000 on utilities, taxes, maintenance etc, per year, you really could have rented a place for $34,000/month and came out ahead based on your logic!

Fact is the billion dollar investment will still have that value next year. And considering almost half of it was land purchase, its likely to go up in value, not down.

I-4 is receiving a $2.3 billion dollar makeover for 21 miles. Thats $110 million per mile. And thats without land costs and the previous construction costs. Removing Sunrail's land costs, they spent about $10 million per mile to build it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Moose View Post
Yup, just like when you buy a $400,000 house, and spend $10,000 on utilities, taxes, maintenance etc, per year, you really could have rented a place for $34,000/month and came out ahead based on your logic!

Fact is the billion dollar investment will still have that value next year. And considering almost half of it was land purchase, its likely to go up in value, not down.

I-4 is receiving a $2.3 billion dollar makeover for 21 miles. Thats $110 million per mile. And thats without land costs and the previous construction costs. Removing Sunrail's land costs, they spent about $10 million per mile to build it.
Interestingly warped logic, were you part of the planning commission per chance?

Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:

So, you're stating SunRail's cost to operate was 1/11th that of I-4 makeover.

Well, I-4 has 130,000 cars a day in Orlando, which likely averages 160,000 or so passengers a day... Given an avg of 1.25 passengers per car. vs 4,000 passengers on SunRail.

That's a 40 to 1 ratio.
Seems like the Interstate is still a better investment.

SunRail's numbers are just TOO LOW.
Anyone not seeing this is delusional.
2000 R/T passengers a day is ABSURDLY low.

Over 150,000 ride the MONORAIL at Disney Daily.
Maybe that should be up for federal funds for an expansion... at least it's used.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:

when Orlando starts running out of urban core land the land near and even the air over core transit stations will have a lot of value.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
when Orlando starts running out of urban core land the land near and even the air over core transit stations will have a lot of value.
Yeah, some of the anti-rail comments here sound like pre-approved Tea Party talking points, almost parroted word for word.

Orlando was very forward thinking to do this, and I'm glad ridership is up. I knew it would be, though.

Once the I-4 reconstruction is in full swing, SunRail will be a huge Godsend for many within the core areas. This will definitely re-shape growth for decades to come, and despite the wishes of several it isn't going away.

I would like to give the majority of credit to Mica, for being far-sighted in helping to plan for the future and assist in securing the Federal funding.

Last edited by JMatl; 05-28-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 04:45 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, some of the anti-rail comments here sound like pre-approved Tea Party talking points, almost parroted word for word.

Orlando was very forward thinking to do this, and I'm glad ridership is up. I knew it would be, though.
Except, ridership is not up.
It is below target.... and very much down from it's inception.

I'd rather the train be free and have 10,000 rides a day, than cost $2 at 3,000 rides a day.
Either or the money coming in from the fares is almost irrelevant to the total operating cost.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

Once the I-4 reconstruction is in full swing, SunRail will be a huge Godsend for many within the core areas. This will definitely re-shape growth for decades to come, and despite the wishes of several it isn't going away.

I would like to give the majority of credit to Mica, for being far-sighted in helping to plan for the future and assist in securing the Federal funding.
Anything but Tea Party as I for one am very much for well-planned public transit which this system is not. It's designed for a traditional metro area where a majority of the population commutes from concentric suburbs to an inner ring commercial/jobs center which very much IS NOT the case here with roughly 10% of the metro population working in the area SunRail is designed to ferry passengers to/from....rather than fully assess the greater flexibility benefits involved with BRT (Bus Rapid Transit). Just because funding was offered up for an ill-suited project and it was accepted does not make for "forward-thing" or heroics from a local politician, rather the opposite as this flop unfolds.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:49 PM

161 posts, read 321,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Being federally subsidized and all, it's a given they would receive some federal assistance....and that "whopping" 1.45 Billion the entire Amtrak national system received is slightly more than the start-up cost of Orlando's SunRail which covers just 30 miles on existing freight tracks. So yeah, that rascally GOP...
So you love subsidies I guess?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4longNY View Post
So you love subsidies I guess?
I don't love them, but they're a necessity as public transit is considered infrastructure like highways. Are you under the impression infrastructure projects like transit, highways and bridges should operate as revenue centers with a return on investment? It's an either/or situation....

Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This thread is about the news that SunRail finished year one with a ridership boom. I'm not sure why you're commenting here about its non-existent failure when there is already a thread with outdated information for that.

And I too love the Disney transit system, but it was built into a golden situation and they built the parks to compliment the system and vice versa. SunRail was built with the knowledge that it would be swimming upstream, attempting to fundamentally transform not only how Orlando commutes but also affect future growth patterns in this city.

NOPE. going from zero to 5k is nothing. I would expect commuter transit to handle that in an hour at the very least. 5k a day is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando