Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:27 PM

46 posts, read 54,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
'If'.

Currently no public transit runs to the airport save a few Lynx Buses.
Even with SunRail built the #11 bus may still be the most efficient means of getting downtown.

I think it should run 24 hours. It's a shame it doesn't. Even when and if SunRail enters MCO it will still be subject to the lack of Weekends and nights. Not particularly useful for most MANY flights.
Isn't the first phase of this project train terminals for 3 trains? They aren't going to build the station and not get any trains going to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 PM

3,932 posts, read 5,035,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Moose View Post
Isn't the first phase of this project train terminals for 3 trains? They aren't going to build the station and not get any trains going to it.
Well, that's the latest in Floridian Government Operations. Put the cart before the horse.

The transit hub would include SunRail and All Aboard Florida Trains and the MagLev to Florida Mall and Convention Center.

Two of which have no set approval or funding.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I travel a few times a year but have reason to drive by the airport and that is nona
As usual you deflect. Again, when was the last time you flew anywhere that required a passport?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well, that's the latest in Floridian Government Operations. Put the cart before the horse.

The transit hub would include SunRail and All Aboard Florida Trains and the MagLev to Florida Mall and Convention Center.

Although there have been a fair number of doubters, Maglev is supposedly kicking off in a few months, this fall, and All Aboard has started construction to the south. Both should be online by 2017, right around the time the first phase of this terminal opens. The only one that doesn't have funding secured is Sunrail. It likely doesn't make sense to leave that terminal out of the structure because of the costs of adding it in later.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,813,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I wish some more airports would have something like the FlyAway at LAX, which is basically a very nice shuttle bus that goes to multiple places in LA for $8-10 each way. There was even an article some time ago talking about how other airports need to do that instead of just having a public bus route at the airport.
Indianapolis used to have a great service run by their transit authority. It was $4 or so each way and took you from the airport to the major hotels downtown in a shuttle style bus. I rode it several times and enjoyed it. I would NEVER take the regular Indygo urban transit fixed route bus from the airport to downtown--really nasty route through the hood with all sorts of cretins. When they cancelled the airport to hotel bus I thought it was a backwards step. I know a number of companies who have reconsidered hosting conferences there as a result.

One of these days someone is going to start running a shuttle from the airport to the convention center and make a fortune doing it. No sense running one to Disney as they already have the Magical Express. I could see one from the airport to the half dozen or so downtown core hotels doing pretty well, The Grand Bohemian, the Crown Plaza, the Embassy Suites, etc.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,771,804 times
Quote:

Maglev is moving faster than you think and pretty much only has financing to work out. SunRail doesn't have a grant to go to airport yet but since they just got money for an expansion into Osceola County I'm pretty sure that is the next phase they can work towards. All Aboard Florida has started construction in South Florida so with the next year or two you should see some work up near Central Florida.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Maglev is moving faster than you think and pretty much only has financing to work out. SunRail doesn't have a grant to go to airport yet but since they just got money for an expansion into Osceola County I'm pretty sure that is the next phase they can work towards. All Aboard Florida has started construction in South Florida so with the next year or two you should see some work up near Central Florida.
Having the 'financing' and right of way access is, the most important thing to work out.
I'm totally on-board with the Maglev as it services some high trafficked areas.

SunRail can continue to ask for more money from the Fed and State as well- I can't see any reason though to support it.

All Aboard also needs to borrow / bond to build Volusia to Orange Connection.

How many federal tax dollars and Florida **** away?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Having the 'financing' and right of way access is, the most important thing to work out.
I'm totally on-board with the Maglev as it services some high trafficked areas.

SunRail can continue to ask for more money from the Fed and State as well- I can't see any reason though to support it.

All Aboard also needs to borrow / bond to build Volusia to Orange Connection.

How many federal tax dollars and Florida **** away?
The two trains that appear to be going forward, Maglev and All Aboard Florida, are both privately funded. Maglev did not request any loans either, and All Aboard Florida is only getting a federal loan, to cover the new tracks into Orlando, and is backed by their entire FEC rail line which is worth much more then the loan amount. Its a very safe loan, and its likely also a rail line that makes sense for freight as well.

Maglev also announced it has already ordered vehicles for their track and has the first coming Summer 2016 so they can begin testing for a 2017 launch.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Moose View Post
The two trains that appear to be going forward, Maglev and All Aboard Florida, are both privately funded. Maglev did not request any loans either, and All Aboard Florida is only getting a federal loan, to cover the new tracks into Orlando, and is backed by their entire FEC rail line which is worth much more then the loan amount. Its a very safe loan, and its likely also a rail line that makes sense for freight as well.

Maglev also announced it has already ordered vehicles for their track and has the first coming Summer 2016 so they can begin testing for a 2017 launch.
All Aboard Florida has asked to borrow a 1.6 BILLION dollar bond from the US Gov't.
That's not privately funded.
That's a private company operating under public funds.
They do not, and cannot possibly have a business model that can turn a profit.

The MagLev line may very well sustain itself and be successful since it's a short distance with a huge group of convention workers and tourists. I-Drive is well equipped to handle foot traffic.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,332,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Indianapolis used to have a great service run by their transit authority. It was $4 or so each way and took you from the airport to the major hotels downtown in a shuttle style bus. I rode it several times and enjoyed it. I would NEVER take the regular Indygo urban transit fixed route bus from the airport to downtown--really nasty route through the hood with all sorts of cretins. When they cancelled the airport to hotel bus I thought it was a backwards step. I know a number of companies who have reconsidered hosting conferences there as a result.

One of these days someone is going to start running a shuttle from the airport to the convention center and make a fortune doing it. No sense running one to Disney as they already have the Magical Express. I could see one from the airport to the half dozen or so downtown core hotels doing pretty well, The Grand Bohemian, the Crown Plaza, the Embassy Suites, etc.
That sounds cool. It doesn't even need to be a specific hotel shuttle. The LAX FlyAway has various stops...such as Union Station in Downtown LA, Santa Monica, etc. Just one stop to Downtown would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando