Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,474 times

Advertisements

I am a single african american mother of a 5 year old and I am thinking about moving to Florida (Oviedo or Winter Springs area). Can anyone tell me about the area as far as child care centers, schools, crime, commute into Orlando (Universal Blvd area)? I am looking for a good area with my child in mind. Also, if anyone have any information on apartments in that area I would appreciate it. I looked at Alafaya Woods Apartments as a option. Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 128,472 times
Both Oviedo And Winter Springs Are Very Nice Place To Live With Not Much In Comparaison. I Just Moved From Ny To Oviedo. Crime Rates Are Very Low. Daycare I See Plenty. How Affordable They Are, I Do Not Know.
You Will Excel Here If You Are A Professional Or Even A Para. Without Any Training Whatsoever, It Can Be Difficult Times(4). Do Your Homework Before You Do Anything.
Best Of Luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 AM

35 posts, read 172,651 times
We have lived in Winter Springs since 1999, and out of all the places to chose from here in Orlando I'm glad we chose Winter Springs. The schools are great, it's close to everything, but still far enough away to be quiet, if that makes sense. I work in Oviedo, and love having my entire life within a five-mile radius, schools, doctors, gym, shopping, SR 417, biking trails, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 27,733 times
Red face Hi

I am glad to know that, but aren't the houses more expensive in the Winter park, winter springs, winter garden areas? I need a school that has great education and with everything near, like shopping center, and doctors......
Could you please tell what are the school names or the district so that I do research..thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabrit View Post
We have lived in Winter Springs since 1999, and out of all the places to chose from here in Orlando I'm glad we chose Winter Springs. The schools are great, it's close to everything, but still far enough away to be quiet, if that makes sense. I work in Oviedo, and love having my entire life within a five-mile radius, schools, doctors, gym, shopping, SR 417, biking trails, etc.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM

45 posts, read 161,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamia'sMom View Post
I am a single african american mother of a 5 year old and I am thinking about moving to Florida (Oviedo or Winter Springs area). Can anyone tell me about the area as far as child care centers, schools, crime, commute into Orlando (Universal Blvd area)? I am looking for a good area with my child in mind. Also, if anyone have any information on apartments in that area I would appreciate it. I looked at Alafaya Woods Apartments as a option. Thanks for any information.
I just came back from Oviedo and the home prices were 330,000 and up. Why not check out Summerport, I have heard the elementary and middle schools are okay the problem is with the High school, the prices there are much lower, it may be worth checking out.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 25,189 times
Schools are great anywhere in Seminole County. My children attend Eastbrook and we love it. We live in unincorporated Winter Park, in Seminole County, just next to Winter Springs. We do our shopping on Red Bug Lake Road, our doctors are near State Road 436. House prices are reasonable for a 1800+/- SF home. Yes, in the true Winter Park area (in Orange Co.) the house and taxes are much higher.
We have lived here since 2006 and love area.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 66,659 times
The schools in Seminole are good. One of my children started kindergarten this year and I am very pleased with the curriculum. My oldest attended a middle school in Winter Springs and is now at the high school. Both are very good schools.There are lots of things for kids to do and plenty of parks. There are many child care centers. The price varies with the time they spend. you can get full time care for a 4 year old for about 150 a week. There are after school programs that are less. The commute into Orlando can be a pain. If you avoid rush hour you will be better off. The housing market is dismal right now. I don't know about renting, but I would think that you would be able to get a good deal right now. The crime rate is pretty low. Really it's a nice area to live...if you can stand the Florida summers.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando