Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashea18 View Post
I said did you run into a lot of crime in PR? Is that what made you think it would be an issue here? I would think people moving are moving away from those issues, that is one expensive move on SSI.
I don't have to even go to PR to see what's happening...I can see it without leaving Orlando!!! Do you ever watch the news here? Do you know how many PR are in Orange County Jail?

Did you just move to Orlando or something?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM

98 posts, read 142,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I don't have to even go to PR to see what's happening...I can see it without leaving Orlando!!! Do you watch the news here? Do you know how many PR are in Orange County Jail?

Did you just move to Orlando or something?
I did actually move within the last year, and I have to admit I live in a gated community on a golf course in a bubble as I stated before. I am busy working so I don't catch a lot of the news, just highlights. You may be right, perhaps I have had my head in the sand. But I still will not blame a few bad apples. Let's see when I have caught the news, I heard of Caucasian girl having sex with animals and begin caught. I have heard countless stories on George Zimmerman who is Hispanic. I just recently saw a story with two Caucasian men fighting in a Publix. I saw a story on a African Amercian man that ran over an elementary school girl. It seems when I have caught it spanned all across the board. But idk maybe I am just ignorant.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM

110 posts, read 140,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Regardless of what their desire is the market will dictate who and how many people migrate here from PR. Economic realities are what they are, if there aren't enough jobs here and resources they will just stop coming. Apparently right now the local market can still take on the capacity, but eventually when it reaches the limit people will stop coming or start moving away. The idea that a million people are just going to move here with no means to provide for themselves is just unreasonable when they have the option of going anywhere in the US freely. And let's be real here, the majority of those who come over are going to be those with the resources to come over. How is someone who's not making it in PR going to be able to afford to come over here without any money??? This isn't a war torn country where people are fleeing the border into refugee camps, or where we will be sending planes to airlift people out...this isn't even a situation where people are going to try to float to the US like the Cuban or Haitian situation. This is a migration of those who have the means to leave, leaving for the mainland and those who can't getting stuck there. The bigger issue I see is what happens to island next. If all the island loses a good chunk of it's population I can see corporation and the rich moving in to buy up big chunks of land and property while the prices go down.
The means to leave?

As Joey mentioned, it's a $100 plane ticket. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by moving to Central Florida. Central Florida has everything to lose and nothing to gain by welcoming those people with open arms. Please tell us how people on Medicaid, food stamps, cash aid and WIC are going to improve the Central Florida neighborhoods, schools, charitable organizations, universities, etc.

They aren't.

They are simply going to drain the social programs dry just like they do in Puerto Rico.

Central Florida desperately needs well educated, white collar professionals who are actively involved in philanthropy, the arts, public schools, and their neighborhoods and who desire to make long term investments in the community.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
The means to leave?

As Joey mentioned, it's a $100 plane ticket. These people have nothing to lose and everything to gain by moving to Central Florida. Central Florida has everything to lose and nothing to gain by welcoming those people with open arms. Please tell us how people on Medicaid, food stamps, cash aid and WIC are going to improve the Central Florida neighborhoods, schools, charitable organizations, universities, etc.

They aren't.

They are simply going to drain the social programs dry just like they do in Puerto Rico.

Central Florida desperately needs well educated, white collar professionals who are actively involved in philanthropy, the arts, public schools, and their neighborhoods and who desire to make long term investments in the community.
I am glad someone here gets it that these migrants who are experts at working the system have nothing to offer this area.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I did actually move within the last year, and I have to admit I live in a gated community on a golf course in a bubble as I stated before. I am busy working so I don't catch a lot of the news, just highlights. You may be right, perhaps I have had my head in the sand. But I still will not blame a few bad apples. Let's see when I have caught the news, I heard of Caucasian girl having sex with animals and begin caught. I have heard countless stories on George Zimmerman who is Hispanic. I just recently saw a story with two Caucasian men fighting in a Publix. I saw a story on a African Amercian man that ran over an elementary school girl. It seems when I have caught it spanned all across the board. But idk maybe I am just ignorant.
I wish you the best of luck at Lake Nona. Better choice than Avalon Park.

Sometimes it really is better to live in a bubble, here in Orlando.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
SSI Disability, food stamps, Section 8, WIC. Living in motels in Kissimmee or OBT, or moving into houses with 10 other relatives already here.

Yes it costs $100 or $200 to fly here one way to MCO. They do have to come up with that on their own somehow. You are right about that part.

It is happening. Been happening for years now.
And how is this better than just staying in PR??? Let's see I'm broke in PR, let me go be broke in Orlando because somehow that's better. They get all these same benefits whether their in PR or mainland US, you do realize that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
The means to leave?

They aren't.

See above. If anything with the calamity going on in PR goods may probably become cheaper and living in PR might end up being cheaper than living in the US. Just look at places like the rust belt, sure the jobs have left, but as that happened the cost of living has gone down dramatically.

Also, do you honestly believe that somehow CFL could take on an additional 1M dependent residents from a practical standpoint? That's like adding another Orange County. Where are all these people going to live???? If they are all going to be poor and helpless which you seem to believe do you think our local government is just going to find a way to build low income housing for 1 million people? Do you think any private developer is going to invest money to build housing for people on section 8 or government subsidies? Or are 1 million current residents just going to say I've had enough, I'm going to sell/rent my home to these poor people who can't afford it? I mean your belief is that somehow the local economy/market can take on 1 million additional people without adding any new jobs, spending power, housing, infrastructure, etc. Not even the most liberal bleeding heart liberal could muster the political will to accommodate that.

And 1 final question, do you believe that all the people coming over are dependent, poor, uneducated people because apparently that's all there is in PR? If so there is no point debating with people of your mindset.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
And how is this better than just staying in PR??? Let's see I'm broke in PR, let me go be broke in Orlando because somehow that's better. They get all these same benefits whether their in PR or mainland US, you do realize that right?

See above. If anything with the calamity going on in PR goods may probably become cheaper and living in PR might end up being cheaper than living in the US. Just look at places like the rust belt, sure the jobs have left, but as that happened the cost of living has gone down dramatically.

Also, do you honestly believe that somehow CFL could take on an additional 1M dependent residents from a practical standpoint? That's like adding another Orange County. Where are all these people going to live???? If they are all going to be poor and helpless which you seem to believe do you think our local government is just going to find a way to build low income housing for 1 million people? Do you think any private developer is going to invest money to build housing for people on section 8 or government subsidies? Or are 1 million current residents just going to say I've had enough, I'm going to sell/rent my home to these poor people who can't afford it? I mean your belief is that somehow the local economy/market can take on 1 million additional people without adding any new jobs, spending power, housing, infrastructure, etc. Not even the most liberal bleeding heart liberal could muster the political will to accommodate that.

And 1 final question, do you believe that all the people coming over are dependent, poor, uneducated people because apparently that's all there is in PR? If so there is no point debating with people of your mindset.
They come here to meet up with their relatives, or because people told them Disney is here and everything is paved with gold in Orlando...I have had someone come up to me on the street and ask for money because they just moved here from PR...I told them they shouldn't have come here.

Or they are already on SSI down there...the crime is bad down there so they think that by coming here it will be safer, and they can still live on SSI here...but crime has a way of following them wherever they go.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:05 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
My point exactly. So they come up, find out the Disney lifestyle is only for tourists and the streets aren't paved with gold, yet they still keep coming? Or is it going to take a million of them to get here before they realize that??

Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So they come up, find out the Disney lifestyle is only for tourists and the streets aren't paved with gold, yet they still keep coming?
Yes, they do...I'm surprised you don't know this. Haven't you been here for a long time?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Just FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando