Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:19 PM

98 posts, read 142,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I wish you the best of luck at Lake Nona. Better choice than Avalon Park.

Sometimes it really is better to live in a bubble, here in Orlando.
Thank you so much! I am curious now though, what areas are you talking about? I only have heard steer clear of Pine Hills so far.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:22 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashea18 View Post
Thank you so much! I am curious now though, what areas are you talking about? I only have heard steer clear of Pine Hills so far.
Parts of east Orange County, Kissimmee, Poinciana, Meadow Woods.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Yes, they do...I'm surprised you don't know this. Haven't you been here for a long time?
Yes I have been here for a very long time, since the early 90's. Most of my PR friend's here have been here about as long as I have. The one who came here mostly moved here from NY and the northeast like many non Hispanic new residents. I know there are Puerto Rican "hoods" here but that is faaaaarrr from the majority. Most of my PR friends and their families were working class just like mine. Most of my PR friends I grew up with went to college and have good jobs now. Most PR's that I know who moved here from the island are people with means. They moved away from the island to make more here in there profession. That's what I know.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Yes I have been here for a very long time, since the early 90's. Most of my PR friend's here have been here about as long as I have. The one who came here mostly moved here from NY and the northeast like many non Hispanic new residents. I know there are Puerto Rican "hoods" here but that is faaaaarrr from the majority. Most of my PR friends and their families were working class just like mine. Most of my PR friends I grew up with went to college and have good jobs now. Most PR's that I know who moved here from the island are people with means. They moved away from the island to make more here in there profession. That's what I know.
Your experiences are your experiences...you haven't met the SSI crowd. Of which there are more and more every day.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
PR trying to file Bankruptcy, it was in the news today- It is an island that used to have promise, American dollars, but they kept it as a tourist area and kept withdrawing more and more US $ and never made them learn English in school- They are OUR step children and we are responsible for them but should have pushed them up to a higher standing --YEARS ago.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
PR trying to file Bankruptcy, it was in the news today- It is an island that used to have promise, American dollars, but they kept it as a tourist area and kept withdrawing more and more US $ and never made them learn English in school- They are OUR step children and we are responsible for them but should have pushed them up to a higher standing --YEARS ago.
That is what I have been saying here. They are in a death spiral now. The only thing they can do at this point is sell all the coastal areas to the super rich of other nations, and have the natives move to urban areas in the middle of the island. And people who work as help for the resorts will commute from the interior to the beaches. This is what happens on the poorer islands.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:25 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Wow a lot of ignorance being spread in this thread and as matter of fact a lot of the ones are college educated and professional. The problem is going to be getting jobs because of lot of them don't speak English which is a problem for a lot of employers here.There is this story about how a lady had a master's in education and she applied for a job and couldn't get it because she didn't speak English very well. Also I think the Orlando can very well absorb another million people and I'm pretty sure they are going to spread around anyway.

Last edited by Fl1150; 07-16-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I agree we could absorb a million productive new residents. But the implication on this thread is that the million people who would potentially move here from the island would all be poor and destitute looking for handouts because thats the type fleeing PR. That I do not agree with.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:41 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
I agree we could absorb a million productive new residents. But the implication on this thread is that the million people who would potentially move here from the island would all be poor and destitute looking for handouts because thats the type fleeing PR. That I do not agree with.
Exactly and Puerto Rico is actually more expensive than Orlando because they did a cost by cost comparison and the median housing cost is higher.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
There's a lot of racism in this thread. It's sad. It's pointless to speculate about people who might move here. How can we possibly know if they are college educated or not? Or on SSI or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando