Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:00 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Annerk probably knows best, but I think Lake County sets aside public money for Sports Tourism, for things like the NTC and hosting national events. Would some of this money be able to be used for bike paths along popular trails like sugarloaf mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, Annerk probably knows best, but I think Lake County sets aside public money for Sports Tourism, for things like the NTC and hosting national events. Would some of this money be able to be used for bike paths along popular trails like sugarloaf mountain?
Lake County does have a budget for tourism. It's no where near enough to build bike paths though.

To be honest, the big problem are with the teams and large groups who refuse to follow the law and ride single file and stop at intersections. There is plenty of room to share the road, but it's a two-way street. The bicyclists need to follow the law if they expect motorists to do so as well. It's becoming an increasing problem as the economy recovers and more and more riders are out on the roads.

I had a problem two weeks ago, I was driving down one of the secondary roads in Clermont and cam across a pack of about 50 riders riding 3-5 abreast. It was a double yellow line road for about four miles, and they were crawling along at about 15 mph on a road that is 45 mph. They would not form into a single line, and I could not pass them. They were in complete violation of the law. They also didn't stop at a traffic light, just kept going through the intersection, forcing cars with the right of way at the light to have to stop. That's the behavior that will eventually get a cyclist--or 10--killed by someone who has had enough.

BTW--Lake COunty doesn't own the NTC, I believe it is now owned by Orlando Health. It's gotten to the point where the national events aren't really generating enough income for the hassle we deal with for hosting them.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's the behavior that will eventually get a cyclist--or 10--killed by someone who has had enough.
Murder is never justified by an inconvenience, and I hope you're not saying murder is okay annerk, in this situation.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Murder is never justified by an inconvenience, and I hope you're not saying murder is okay annerk, in this situation.
Did I say that? No, of course not. And hitting a group of bicyclists who purposely and willfully ignore a traffic signal and then are hit by an oncoming vehicle with the right of way is hardly murder. It's also not homicide or anything else. In fact if anything, the auto owner will have a good claim against the estates of the dead cyclists for damaging the car by their negligence.

The problem is that the cyclists want the respect of drivers, but far too many aren't willing to offer the same in return.

Would I purposely hit a bicyclist? Of course not. But if one ran a red light and ran into me while I was crossing the intersection with the right of way, it certainly wouldn't be my fault. And I wouldn't feel any guilt.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:24 PM

"That's the behavior that will eventually get a cyclist--or 10--killed by someone who has had enough."

Doesn't sound like an accident to me. Sounds like vehicular homicide.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
"That's the behavior that will eventually get a cyclist--or 10--killed by someone who has had enough."

Doesn't sound like an accident to me. Sounds like vehicular homicide.
There are a lot of feelings about it out here. My feeling is that if a pile of them rode through the red light and into me, I'd try to stop, but if I couldn't, it's not on me. At that point I'd call it suicide by car.

There are some people who would very possibly say that they were unable to stop. If they had the right of way and the bikes were running through the red light, I think it would be tough to prove otherwise.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of feelings about it out here. My feeling is that if a pile of them rode through the red light and into me, I'd try to stop, but if I couldn't, it's not on me. At that point I'd call it suicide by car.

There are some people who would very possibly say that they were unable to stop. If they had the right of way and the bikes were running through the red light, I think it would be tough to prove otherwise.
OK. I thought you meant someone deliberately hitting someone.

I would still like to know why that second driver (the one who drove into the daycare center last year and killed the girl) didn't stop or veer away. That was never explained.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
OK. I thought you meant someone deliberately hitting someone.

I would still like to know why that second driver (the one who drove into the daycare center last year and killed the girl) didn't stop or veer away. That was never explained.
It's my understanding that he was hit with such force that he was jumbled around in the car and as a result his hands involuntarily left the wheel and feet got knocked off the pedals. I've been in a wreck where I was rear ended, and things happen in a split second as you are being tossed around. The seat belt might hold your torso, but your extremities go flying around like rag dolls.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that he was hit with such force that he was jumbled around in the car and as a result his hands involuntarily left the wheel and feet got knocked off the pedals. I've been in a wreck where I was rear ended, and things happen in a split second as you are being tossed around. The seat belt might hold your torso, but your extremities go flying around like rag dolls.
Thanks, I did not hear that part on the news.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:41 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Cycling versus motorist issues are everywhere. I cycle myself, but many times when I'm driving and I encounter a cyclist I get angry.

There are (or should be) unwritten rules of the road for cyclists. Since the roads were made for cars, a cyclist must yield to the car. What I mean is, I may be riding out into a lane a bit, but, when I see a car coming from behind (all cyclists should have mirrors on their bikes) I immediately go as far right as I can. I have come up to riders who don't move over, or two cyclists where the outside rider won't fall into line.

Obviously if a group of riders are out on the road, that might make it more difficult to ride single file..or would it? Do cyclists have to jibber jabber their entire ride? If they're on a busy road they should ride single file.

And cars should respect a bike knowing full well nothing would happen to the car driver in an accident while for the cyclist could be fatal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando