Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times

Advertisements

Tensions grow between bicyclists, motorists on Lake County roads - Orlando Sentinel

Interesting. I don't think that either side is blameless, though I do wish the populations of cars and cyclists would coexist more efficiently. What does everyone think should be done? I don't know how much of a national "problem" this is or not, but I have thought of the idea of having bikes get registered, and then having that money go towards setting up more of a bike infrastructure in areas. Only problem with that though is many are simply weekend riders, myself included. I would like to commute by bike but most places now that isn't really a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
I have an issue with cyclists who have no regard for cars/trucks.
On my commute to/from work, I see too many cyclists riding carelessly on dangerous roads (SR46, for instance) weaving in and out of the curb.
Same thing going along Markham rd and Markham Woods Rd. On the latter two roads, there is simply no reason to ride on the road, as there are beautiful bike trails that ride parallel to them.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:09 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
I don't care about bikers...but anyone who walks into traffic asking for money (including fireman passing the boot) should be arrested for panhandling.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:23 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I don't care about bikers...but anyone who walks into traffic asking for money (including fireman passing the boot) should be arrested for panhandling.
Just so you know, fireman do not necessarily want to be out there with boots. They are strongly encouraged (forced) to do it, often while on duty, by city/county/union leadership. They are usually collecting for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Give them a break, or encourage your city/county to stop making them participate.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:48 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I would think the easiest solution would be to just widen the roads or create designated bike paths. Its popular because it's on of the few regions in Florida cyclists can use for elevation training. I would think the county would have thought up of a way to capitalize on this .

Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Just so you know, fireman do not necessarily want to be out there with boots. They are strongly encouraged (forced) to do it, often while on duty, by city/county/union leadership. They are usually collecting for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Give them a break, or encourage your city/county to stop making them participate.
Their job is to save lives, not endanger them by stepping into traffic with a boot.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 PM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would think the easiest solution would be to just widen the roads or create designated bike paths. Its popular because it's on of the few regions in Florida cyclists can use for elevation training. I would think the county would have thought up of a way to capitalize on this .
Seminole County is great at this.
Unfortunately, Lake County is absolutely terrible.
I love to roller-blade, and now my son loves to come out with me on his bike.
In order to do so safely, we have to load up, drive to either Apopka or Longwood, and use the trails there.
You'd think a town like Mount Dora would have a nice trail or two, especially with the surrounding woods all over...

Old 07-17-2015, 08:14 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Agreed on that. I just wonder what average people like us can do to have a movement like this started. I also do agree that some bikers really are careless and almost have an Us vs. Traffic mentality (I have met them). But I also think that seperate bike paths (or even bike lanes on roads) can really be used as a tool for economic development for an area. One of the reasons that I prefer Orlando to the other three metros in Florida is that it seems like it's the one best set up with running/biking/hiking trails within the actual metro itself. I mean, I'm one that has driven now twice the about 35-40 minutes it is from my house to get to Winter Garden, and while the Main Street they have over there is nice, riding bikes was a major factor in my decision as well. To anyone out there that is big on this stuff, it also looks like there is a trail in lower Volusia County, which could probably be combined with a trip to Pell's Citrus Nursery and Osteen Diner for a nice, "Country Day Out". I'm still thinking about heading out towards Clermont to ride, and I'm sure many riders over there are quite polite, but I may just park at the bottom of Sugarloaf itself somewhere and ride up, then take the Lake Minneola Scenic Trail once I've parked over there as well.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:16 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Their job is to save lives, not endanger them by stepping into traffic with a boot.
Unfortunately, you do not write their job description. Talk to your city/county leaders.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Two things to note.

1. Many of the Lake County roads have bike lanes or wide, paved shoulders and there is a dedicated bike trail. As a Lake County resident, most of us have no problem with the bicyclists who obey the law and ride in a single line. The problem is with the teams who tend to take the entire freaking lane on a double yellow lined road, refusing to use the paved shoulder. They are riding illegally and do not move over to let cars pass. I have also seen them ride in a pack right through intersections without stopping, despite the fact that a car had stopped before the first bike got to the intersection and had the right of way.

2. Several of the quotes in that article were taken from a private Facebook user group without permission, and taken out of context. I was not quoted, but I am a member of the group, and feel the journalist violated privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando