Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 PM

605 posts, read 711,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
TBellamouse, if you hired someone and you are still below your previous high, fire them immediately. There are plenty of quality balanced funds out there and you don't need to pay anyone a single penny.
It wasn't me, it was my mother in law. I knew nothing about her finances (and still don't know much, and I certainly cannot interject myself there), I only found out about it after the fact. She worked for Marshall Field's/Target and I think all her money was in that one stock. It took a humongous hit and she has never recovered since.

I only used it as an example that not everyone is savvy enough to invest their assets wisely (I would argue few people know how to do this well), so for me it proves the point that having equity in your house is not foolish as other posters here have suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
It wasn't me, it was my mother in law. I knew nothing about her finances (and still don't know much, and I certainly cannot interject myself there), I only found out about it after the fact. She worked for Marshall Field's/Target and I think all her money was in that one stock. It took a humongous hit and she has never recovered since.

I only used it as an example that not everyone is savvy enough to invest their assets wisely (I would argue few people know how to do this well), so for me it proves the point that having equity in your house is not foolish as other posters here have suggested.
Oh ok, I read it wrong, I thought you were talking about yourself. However, still things aren't adding up because Target (TGT) is up over 20% from the very peak before the crash, so even if she bought it at the highest point, she would still be up over 20% + today.

The key to a good retirement plan in my opinion is diversification, which means buying a home(s), buying equities, and buying bonds. There are a lot of balanced mutual funds that are a mixture of stocks and bonds, Vanguard Wellington is a perfect example (roughly 65% stocks, 35% bonds). The younger you are the more aggressive you can be, the older you are the more conservative you should be.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
And that kind of thinking is why you can't even afford an apartment in Lake Mary... some people see it and think there is so much money, I want to do whatever I can to learn and get some of it or you can think, it's too much work better to just write it off as only belonging to fat cats. Open your mind to other income streams, cultures, ideas and you will do much better in life.

<3 u lol
LOL So true!

I sensed the crash and moved almost everything to cash shortly before it happened, moving back out as the market stabilized and then grew. My husband went heavier into bonds and blue chips and he never really lost much, mostly his accounts remained stagnant during the down years and have come back to pre-crash values plus about 35%. The market is and has always been cyclical. if it seems to good to be true, it is.

Our FDIC insured CD's continued to grow during the crash.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
It can happen to anyone. My girlfriend was upside down on her car note, during the bust. Those were scary times.
Cars depreciate, and if you go with 100% financing you are upside down the day you leave the dealership. Three years later you own the car.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:

I have my accounts managed day-to-day and interject now and then if I see something I'm not comfortable with. It costs me around .5% of the value of my portfolio and is well worth the cost to not have to monkey with it and be able to get the "executive summary" as opposed to researching each stock and fund.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Oh ok, I read it wrong, I thought you were talking about yourself. However, still things aren't adding up because Target (TGT) is up over 20% from the very peak before the crash, so even if she bought it at the highest point, she would still be up over 20% + today.

The key to a good retirement plan in my opinion is diversification, which means buying a home(s), buying equities, and buying bonds. There are a lot of balanced mutual funds that are a mixture of stocks and bonds, Vanguard Wellington is a perfect example (roughly 65% stocks, 35% bonds). The younger you are the more aggressive you can be, the older you are the more conservative you should be.
Well put. I would also add in that another investment avenue people should consider adding into your mix is laddered FDIC insured CD's. They don't earn you as much, but are a good "won't have to eat cat food" strategy for bare bones retirement income.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Cars depreciate, and if you go with 100% financing you are upside down the day you leave the dealership. Three years later you own the car.
That's what happened to her.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 AM

605 posts, read 711,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have my accounts managed day-to-day and interject now and then if I see something I'm not comfortable with. It costs me around .5% of the value of my portfolio and is well worth the cost to not have to monkey with it and be able to get the "executive summary" as opposed to researching each stock and fund.
I think people are having trouble understanding me, or they simply don't read.

I mean that I cannot interject into my MOTHER In LAW'S private finances to tell her what I think she should do. It is not my business to ask her about her finances, ask her how much she has, or tell her how she should manage them. If she asks me, then that's a different story, but she does not ask me.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,169 times
Quote:
I think people are having trouble understanding me, or they simply don't read.

I mean that I cannot interject into my MOTHER In LAW'S private finances to tell her what I think she should do. It is not my business to ask her about her finances, ask her how much she has, or tell her how she should manage them. If she asks me, then that's a different story, but she does not ask me.
oh, i get it

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
That's what happened to her.
I don't see what the problem is. Unless you have a large downpayment, EVERYONE is upside down on a car for the first six months or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando