Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM
aax

710 posts, read 490,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
No. That's bullying tactics used against drunk drivers.

Yes. Many know they are drunk. Yet, being intoxicated means reduced judgment on the individuals part.
Places that have instituted murder chargers for drunk drivers claiming they are aware getting in a car while intoxicated is an intent to kill others is an extreme leap. Groups like MADD play on emotions and have had DD charges wildly inflated compared to their statistically dangerous counterparts.

Still though, it is MORE likely to have a more catastrophic effect by driving onto train tracks when the signal implies you cannot. So the SAME level of intent is there- a driver is making an irrational decision jeopardizing their own safety and others in the interest of saving time or not paying attention.

If you created a system where fines and jailtime was directly related to injury and damage- the criminal punishment for driving over train tracks while an active train is present would be a more severe charge than Drunk Driving. Meanwhile the existing charge for such is 10x lower.

This isn't a teachable moment for this person.
It's time for the society who pays for these public services to not allow a few idiots to ruin everything for the rest of us.
Why are you so passionate about this? Do you drive drunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,037,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aax View Post
Why are you so passionate about this? Do you drive drunk?
I'm not passionate about it.
You've felt the driver suffered enough and I'm comparing it to the most criminal driving act we have on the law books.

Drunk driving convictions have gone down with harsher penalties and greater awareness of the costs and risk.

Driving onto train tracks is more jeopardizing to the public than a single drunk driver. Half a dozen other posters are explaining this to you and you still don't get the severity of it.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM
aax

Well the train is built to stand impact from a car. And she wasn't going that fast when she hit it.

And I didn't call for her to get a free pass. I believe she should have to take some classes and pay a fine.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,007,983 times
Quote:
Well the train is built to stand impact from a car. And she wasn't going that fast when she hit it.

And I didn't call for her to get a free pass. I believe she should have to take some classes and pay a fine.
Let’s try to get this into your head... again: IT IS NOT ABOUT THE TRAIN. It’s about the people affected.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM
aax

Nobody died or was hurt. Her insurance company will pay for the damage and then drop her.

No harm no foul.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM

24,326 posts, read 26,719,696 times
Someone running the tracks deserves to get their car totaled and hopefully nobody gets injured or dies, but if someone must, I hope its the driver and not the train passengers.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:06 AM

3,936 posts, read 5,037,860 times
Quote:
Nobody died or was hurt. Her insurance company will pay for the damage and then drop her.

No harm no foul.
Standard Property Damage as a Florida Minimum is $10,000.
With video proof she violated the law, her insurance may not even cover that.

Damage to a train car, engine analysis, time off the track....
You could be looking at $50K+, which will be picked up by taxpayers.

If a train car, or multiple is damaged beyond repair- each is about $150K to replace.

You keep saying no harm, no foul.
SunRail and Brightline have had a significant and costly amount of fatalities.

That's pretty foul.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM
aax

well they will sue her for the difference, no?

Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,007,983 times
https://www.wesh.com/article/driver-...tland/27372930

BOOM!

Maybe it's just me but, I don't think I'd want to be interviewed and show my face to the public after such a careless incident that inevitably delayed hundreds, potentially thousands of people.
Looks like she also felt the need to let everyone know she's a "doctor."

Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,410,884 times
Maybe that is how the drive in her native country, Pakistan where she got her degree at Aga Khan University Medical College

Glad she is not my doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando