Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sunrail and Lynx should be one transportation agency
No keep them separate 4 36.36%
Yes merge them under one agency 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Comparing Caltrain to SunRail is quite different. It's a city to city transit system. The only people who use it are those who commute to or from San Francisco to cities along the Peninsula or South Bay. You should compare MUNI Metro, and possibly BART as well since people within the city and those commuting to/from the city use BART.

I live in San Francisco and I promise you most people don't/can't just use one of the rail systems. It's a combination of of them. SunRail will never become popular if you are just stuck when you get off the train. Their needs to be collaboration with Lynx to make it useful for a big chunk of the population. Otherwise, driving will always be the cheaper and more convenient method.
CalTrain is a commuter rail, SunRail Is a commuter rail.
in regards to SF city itself both only have two stops within city core. ... And few to no one is going to the dog patch.
BART and Muni Trains are light rail.
My comparison stands.

No one in San Mateo or Alameda use MUNI unless they are in the city. LYNX does collaborate with SunRail but driving still is a cheaper and more convenient method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The luxury shuttle buses WithDisp is talking about were created to attract top talent to their startups and businesses. They are free for employees, but only apply to employees. Most tech companies are located towards San Jose, which with traffic is an awful commute. However, most employees want to live in San Francisco because they love the city. This is an entirely different issue besides public transportation. Pretend Tampa is where the tech companies are located and Orlando is San Francisco. WithDisp is comparing apples to oranges. Caltrain like I mentioned before is a city to city transit system.
How am I comparing apples to oranges?
I said two spoke public transit systems are historically unpopular alongside data to back this up. annerk brought up SF multimodal travel and I reminded that it is not desirable or efficient enough so companies brought in point to point transit.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Well I'd love a merger if it works. My GF takes public trans herself.

Orlando needs something better than Lynx, but the sad thing is they won't build a subway here because city leaders know what it would turn into with the types of people we have here now in the city beautiful:

Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post

Orlando needs something better than Lynx, but the sad thing is they won't build a subway here because city leaders know what it would turn into with the types of people we have here now in the city beautiful:

ummm. Also because the ground here could not likely support a subway system. Have you been many basements in Orlando?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:

The photos you posted show that you haven't been to NYC in 30+ years.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
I look at Lynx Central Sunrail station as a good example of what can be done at a few off the other rail stations that get the heavier tap numbers. I think a universal pay system would also be a huge benefit for Orlando. One smartcard that works for both systems. I know Sunrail plans eventually to move south of Sand Lake Station, Sand Lake would make a great hub station thats similar to Lynx Central. Im confident Orlando, Sunrail and Lynx will get it together eventually. Transit needs to get to the I Drive District though, I know many here hate I Drive and all, but there is a lot going on down in that part of the metro. Too much to leave unattended. It will be interesting how Sunrail will be when MCO comes online. The MCO thing could be the beginning of the East-West coverage. Im surprised UCF students or the school itself doesnt want a Sunrail stop, or maybe they do and I havent read about it yet.

All I could find is this link on the Sunrail at UCF

https://prezi.com/8aizoanljumr/propo...ail-expansion/

Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

Oh please. You've never been to NY. They retired the last of the old RedBirds a year or so ago. I used to live/work in NYC and in all those years never once saw someone trying to hop a turnstile to beat a fare. Ever.

MTA is far from perfect, but it is no worse than the subways anywhere.

By the way, we can't build subways here due to the water table. It has nothing to do with crime and everything to do with engineering. Go help your mother set the table. Your girlfriend doesn't work so has no reason to take public transportation. It's getting thick around here.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I look at Lynx Central Sunrail station as a good example of what can be done at a few off the other rail stations that get the heavier tap numbers. I think a universal pay system would also be a huge benefit for Orlando. One smartcard that works for both systems. I know Sunrail plans eventually to move south of Sand Lake Station, Sand Lake would make a great hub station thats similar to Lynx Central. Im confident Orlando, Sunrail and Lynx will get it together eventually. Transit needs to get to the I Drive District though, I know many here hate I Drive and all, but there is a lot going on down in that part of the metro. Too much to leave unattended. It will be interesting how Sunrail will be when MCO comes online. The MCO thing could be the beginning of the East-West coverage. Im surprised UCF students or the school itself doesnt want a Sunrail stop, or maybe they do and I havent read about it yet.

All I could find is this link on the Sunrail at UCF

https://prezi.com/8aizoanljumr/propo...ail-expansion/
SunRail will not stretch to UCF, it's way too far away. It should have been proposed in the initial transit system, but it was ignored in favor of funneling money to CSX, and not actually building a useful railroad.

SunRail will not touch I-Drive either.

Sunrail to MCO is still pending funding. It's also a strange concept, as there's already a LYNX route (the 11) that goes directly in the same route, and currently has low attendance to/from the airport. Yesterday I believe I was one of 3 on the 9PM bus.
I'd rather see more frequent 11 buses run, possibly 24 hour (since flights take off at 6AM and come in well after 10PM when LYNX cuts out).

I think your confusion amongst all these posts is that this is the spine of a long standing full fledged rail system. That isn't what was built nor intended. This was supposed to connect to a system that goes to Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale / Miami. SunRail's current north and south terminus are even more ridiculous than the stops the train goes now, unless the studies have shown there is a lot of labor force in Osceola and Deland who is commuting into Downtown Orlando. My guess is no.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Lynx vital link in SunRail's success: My Word - Orlando Sentinel

Very interesting read, possibilities....possibilities

Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 AM

151 posts, read 155,640 times
For transit in the I-Drive area to connect to the spine (SunRail) LYNX should look into a BRT system (like LYMMO but charge for it), or a streetcar system and then connect to SunRail @ Sand Lake Road and make that station into a hub (like LYNX/SunRail Central Station), that station would be the hub for the OIA connector train route, the north/south SunRail (current system including Phase 2 South), the BRT/streetcar system from I-Drive, and other LYNX buses that currently serve Sand Lake Road.
The man mentioned in this article has the same idea, except for the Meadow Woods Station, the transfer point/hub mimicking LYNX/SunRail Central should be at Sand Lake Road. And then if the Orange Blossom Express train ever opens up, the termius should be at Sand Lake Road.
New York transit stop should be model for Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando