Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sunrail and Lynx should be one transportation agency
No keep them separate 4 36.36%
Yes merge them under one agency 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Unfortunately it has not broken ground yet, I know the project got a green light from DOT but I believe they are still just in the planning stages, they have been very slow on releasing detailed information.. In addition to the Maglev project, there is also a Phase III for SunRail in preliminary talks that would also serve the same purpose in connecting Sand Lake Station with MCO.
That Sandlake Station will get a lot of traffic if that Airport line ever comes online. It would work almost like a hub station. I think a better way for the trains to run once the new 4 stations are up and running would be to run 2 lines. One line from Poincaina to Lynx Central and the 2nd line from Lynx Central to DeBary. Lynx Central seems to be a busy station so it would be best for a train not to run all the way from Poincaina to DeBary and back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
That Sandlake Station will get a lot of traffic if that Airport line ever comes online. It would work almost like a hub station. I think a better way for the trains to run once the new 4 stations are up and running would be to run 2 lines. One line from Poincaina to Lynx Central and the 2nd line from Lynx Central to DeBary. Lynx Central seems to be a busy station so it would be best for a train not to run all the way from Poincaina to DeBary and back again.
There is no right of crossing or space to build that at Lynx Central.
Do you suggest the trains ride atop each other?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:03 PM

151 posts, read 155,387 times
Quote:
I think that the trains SHOULD run from Poinciana to DeBary. That way, passengers going through the Downtown area (someone traveling from Lake Mary to Meadow Woods for example) can get on one train as opposed to getting off in Downtown and transfering (especially if they have to take a LYNX bus on at least one end, this creates just one less transfer). Its always nicer to be able to through-route trains when possible.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Geek18 View Post
I think that the trains SHOULD run from Poinciana to DeBary. That way, passengers going through the Downtown area (someone traveling from Lake Mary to Meadow Woods for example) can get on one train as opposed to getting off in Downtown and transfering (especially if they have to take a LYNX bus on at least one end, this creates just one less transfer). Its always nicer to be able to through-route trains when possible.
Well the reason I had that idea, was Lynx Central seems to get so many taps. If a rider takes Lynx to Lynx Central station and they enter Sunrail from there, they would most likely be going north or south from that station. I like your idea and the reasoning, i was just looking at cost and headway time. Im not sure how many trains in the fleet, ive read its only 10 trains in the 1 locomotive 2 car configuration. How many of those trains would they run at once? Im guessing maybe only 4 at a time.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Not true, any successful rail line needs to have more intricate transportation options from each station.
I agree, especially when it comes to the more busier station on the line.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
Quote:
I agree, especially when it comes to the more busier station on the line.
The irony is that there IS in fact an existing connection infrastructure currently built around key SunRail stations. Hopeful this document prooves valuable to some:

http://www.golynx.com/core/fileparse...unRail_WEB.pdf

Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
I would assume in most cities Rail and Bus are under the same leadership and brand, but in Orlando having 2 companies works for some people.
Nope. Even when there is an umbrella organization (MBTA, MTA, NFTA, RTA, etc.) rail and bus are still operated under separate and distinct leadership, budgets, maintenance, and operations.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:29 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Sun Rails loses 18 million dollars a year so if it is combined with the bus system the bus system will end up giving some money to Sun Rail.

It would be better to abandon or sell Sun Rail and the bus system to private contractors.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:21 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Sun Rails loses 18 million dollars a year so if it is combined with the bus system the bus system will end up giving some money to Sun Rail.

It would be better to abandon or sell Sun Rail and the bus system to private contractors.
You are kidding right?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:08 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
You are kidding right?
No. Sun Rail is a money pit that the taxpayers are being soaked. The bus system is inadequate so let a private company take it over and see if they can do a better job. I lived overseas and we had private, public bus companies and it very efficient and affordable. Uber proved that public transit systems can be improved greatly when put into private hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando