Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 05:49 AM

35,721 posts, read 21,087,398 times

Advertisements

Erika shifted again- I post this because a lot of the transplants don't get it- We natives have had them come and go- and have experience, but I did have the opportunity to work along side FEMA during Wilma - in SFL and I was like
people heed No warnings and those that do- others shun-- just because you have it all together does not mean everybody does. so shut your traps.
So people listen to the news and forecasters - Miami is already out of bread and soon out of batteries, people get in a frenzy so calmly get some supplies. Pick up crap in the yard that might fly with the wind and break your windows -gas up the car -get some cash... I bought some Sterno- a metal fondue pot and instant coffee lol-- We had two generators -which I sold coming north - so it will do for this one.

That's about it- the online Bullwinkles always cause others to stumble. People listen to the experts on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:58 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,399,825 times
Are they looting yet in Miami?

My girlfriend and I are staying inside all weekend because of the hurricane.

We don't have stormstoppers so our plan is to stay in the bathroom if it gets really bad.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 AM

I'm really worried that pieces of the new Orlando Eye could break off and fly into other buildings.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM

48 posts, read 60,383 times
They just issued a State of Emergency. I'm still learning the ropes so is this a proactive, precautionary measure just to make folks aware of the hurricane or is this a "run home and batten down the hatches" situation?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 AM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgonzalez79 View Post
They just issued a State of Emergency. I'm still learning the ropes so is this a proactive, precautionary measure just to make folks aware of the hurricane or is this a "run home and batten down the hatches" situation?
Tropical storms and Cat 1 hurricanes are the root of absolute boredom and money-dumping.
During the storm, you sit and watch rain pour and pour and pour for days, with wind blowing **** around all over the place.
After the storm, you go outside to find pieces of roof strewn out about the yard, chipped paint on your car(s), and random other small damages that will need repairs.

That's about the extent of it.

More than likely, you'll be out of work, unless you have a job that sends you out into the storm.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM

48 posts, read 60,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Tropical storms and Cat 1 hurricanes are the root of absolute boredom and money-dumping.
During the storm, you sit and watch rain pour and pour and pour for days, with wind blowing **** around all over the place.
After the storm, you go outside to find pieces of roof strewn out about the yard, chipped paint on your car(s), and random other small damages that will need repairs.

That's about the extent of it.

More than likely, you'll be out of work, unless you have a job that sends you out into the storm.
Sounds like fun Well a few days off work to get some housework done might come in handy, hopefully my car makes it through OK. Anyone living on the coast who's in real danger, I mean no disrespect.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM

536 posts, read 853,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Are they looting yet in Miami?

My girlfriend and I are staying inside all weekend because of the hurricane.

We don't have stormstoppers so our plan is to stay in the bathroom if it gets really bad.
Why wait?

Better get in that bathroom & lock the door, right now!

You can never be too safe!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Well a few days off work to get some housework done might come in handy.
Well, most employers here aren't going to give you paid time off for this. Your probably going to have to go in to work.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Well, most employers here aren't going to give you paid time off for this. Your probably going to have to go in to work.
Most employers offer PTO and sick paid leave, which can be used here.
Most employers will also be shut down during major storms.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM

517 posts, read 1,093,498 times
Quote:
Here's what an Internet search led me to:

State of Emergency - What does it mean? - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando