Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:56 AM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
13 days into living in Fl on my own now. Love it except for the traffic!!! OMG....Altamonte Springs has the very worst traffic I have ever seen on a daily/nightly 24/7 basis in my life!! OMG, where do these people come from? Where are they all headed to????

I have been finding other places to check out stores like in Cassleberry. Haven't physically gone there yet but got directions on how to get there when needed. Only place that is easy for me is Publix and my new bank. At the end of Palm Springs Drive. Oh, and the mall across the street. Tried to find Altamonte Springs Wal-Mart, didn't....twice!!! So will try Cassleberry. LOL, had Bright house MAIL me a new remote so I didn't have to go find the brick and mortar store. I know it is very close but don't want to fight that traffic. I have almost caused SO MANY friggin accidents because I am trying to find my way. *sigh* Sorry fellow Floridians.
436 is absolutely horrible in terms of traffic, especially on that side of town.
From where you are, unless going to a store ON 436, there really is little reason at all (if any) to use it. The Wal-Mart you speak of is on the other side of 436 (across I-4) on 434.

There are lots of nice stores in Longwood as well, along 434, 17-92, Ronald Reagan, and traffic is not nearly as heavy as what you'd find on 436.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:50 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I tried 434. Got off I4 at exit 94 since I saw it said 434 and I got so lost when the sun set. I have no idea what towns I went through, did U-turns galore, finally found 434/436 but still was lost. Didn't know which way home was, n/s, e/w? I have never noticed which way the hywys go and which way I go!! DUH. TG I4 is at the end of Douglas Ave and Publix and my bank are at the end of Palm Springs Drive. Don't really need the middle and other end of 436, TG. I'm going to try Cassleberry. Which way do I turn at the lights at 436/434 to find the Wally-World over there? I ask because the Dollar Tree I go to is over that way.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
You don't have a smart phone in 2015? It should be impossible to get lost these days.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I tried 434. Got off I4 at exit 94 since I saw it said 434 and I got so lost when the sun set. I have no idea what towns I went through, did U-turns galore, finally found 434/436 but still was lost. Didn't know which way home was, n/s, e/w? I have never noticed which way the hywys go and which way I go!! DUH. TG I4 is at the end of Douglas Ave and Publix and my bank are at the end of Palm Springs Drive. Don't really need the middle and other end of 436, TG. I'm going to try Cassleberry. Which way do I turn at the lights at 436/434 to find the Wally-World over there? I ask because the Dollar Tree I go to is over that way.
If you're on 434 coming from I4, you go straight across 436 and you'll see Wal-Mart on the right.
Coming from 436, you'd just make a left on 434.

The roads tend to turn and change directions quite a bit, so if you're used to inner-city grid layouts, as I am, it can get pretty confusing. I would definitely invest in some sort of GPS device if I were you.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Quote:
I just don't get this.

It is not possible to drive around there without hitting either 434 or 436 or 17-92.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You don't have a smart phone in 2015? It should be impossible to get lost these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I just don't get this.

It is not possible to drive around there without hitting either 434 or 436 or 17-92.
Merry Christmas to you both.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Altamonte is the perfect storm for traffic. As long as I've lived there it's been that way. Take 4 of the most heavily trafficked roads (I-4, 436, 434, 17-92), place them all within close proximity of each other. Now place them in a central location, sprinkle in just about every major chain store or restaurant and add in a large regional mall and hospital. Finally on top of all that throw in a fairly densely populated city to that mix and then you have Altamonte.

It's a great place to live because of all the amenities but having all those amenities makes it a retail, shopping and dining hub for most of the surrounding area. So you have people coming from all around to shop or eat in Altamonte. Than you have to consider Altamonte itself is already fairly crowded, 50k residents in a fairly small land area. It's just a very busy congested place, I've said growing up it was the burbs but felt more like the city. With all that, it's still a great place to live. If you learn the back roads you can get most places in Atlamonte fairly quickly.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
These posts about traffic make me laugh. We came from Chicago where there is actual traffic!. We live near 434/436 and spend a lot of time shopping there. We don't notice anything horrible. A little heavy, yeah maybe, but it all moves. You don't just sit through several cycles of lights or anything. Our impression is that it is still significantly better than where we came from!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
These posts about traffic make me laugh. We came from Chicago where there is actual traffic!. We live near 434/436 and spend a lot of time shopping there. We don't notice anything horrible. A little heavy, yeah maybe, but it all moves. You don't just sit through several cycles of lights or anything. Our impression is that it is still significantly better than where we came from!
Well, yeah, it's significantly better than where I came from also (sitting on a bridge high above a big river for an hour is no fun) but it's still pretty chaotic.

Still... I guess it could be worse.
This sucked!!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:21 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Yeah, not much different from what I'm used to:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando