Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I think our point is that entry wage burger flipper will be better off in Orlando than many other cities where the col is much higher out of proportion to the nearby minimum wage
Exactly lol... Lord is starting to change his/her tune, but I don't think we can make it any more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I think our point is that entry wage burger flipper will be better off in Orlando than many other cities where the col is much higher out of proportion to the nearby minimum wage
Whether each burger flipper will be better or worst off here or anywhere else will depend on many factors such as availability and discovery of affordable options, programs, ease of access, relatives, etc. But their troubles will most likely be the same regardless of location.

But yes, Orlando and many other cities definitely have the upper hand when it comes to more cheaper options for the low-wage worker. Doesn't mean we shrug off the portion of the population that is low-wage. Just means that we should continue growing in more lucrative industries.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post

But yes, Orlando and many other cities definitely have the upper hand when it comes to more cheaper options for the low-wage worker.
Finally you admit it.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Finally you admit it.
I never denied that low-wage workers here will have a higher chance of locating cheaper alternatives.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,732 times
No shocker there! When I completed my Disney program and decided to stay I got a job with a large FL Prop Mgmt company making $10 per hr. People down there were like "Damn, that's a good job". I was like, O...k..... But loved living in Central FL. Anyway, aside from making tips from the Lake Eola residents who a lot were from NY, I got a little side job at Macy's Millenia for my party clothes and disc. Sadly, even retail was cheap there starting at 7.25.... Didn't take that job, ended up doing OT at my main job, but that's when I knew Florida pays cheap. Of course that was 4yrs ago. When I move back to Florida it will be in Real Estate and my media company only. No type of corporate job. Just doesn't pay there.... Moral of the story. I thing FL in general pays cheaper and I think it's harder for young people to find good entry level jobs. Grant it, I graduated from college during the recession and moved to FL ,but things were really bad there. In Atlanta you can pick-up a call center job easy paying $15 per hr. Everyone in Orlando kept telling me at that time to move to Lake Mary, but I was not trying to do that and drive into the city for everything. Just my 2cents....

Last edited by coolieandre; 09-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: .

Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
The debate here is really not this complicated. You just look up current wages vs current cost of living and you will get a ratio. Who gives a bleep if you make $100k in XYZ if you need to make $125k in XYZ to qualify for the average 1 bedroom rent when if you only need to make $35k in ABC to qualify for the average 1 bedroom rent.
As long as this thread is I cant tell if Orlando is filled with losers or if Life is cheap so pay is cheap. Doesnt the pay match the cost of living?

Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 PM

63 posts, read 53,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
As long as this thread is I cant tell if Orlando is filled with losers or if Life is cheap so pay is cheap. Doesnt the pay match the cost of living?
Allow me to sum it up for you. If you move to Orlando to improve your life using a Florida job, you are making a huge mistake. Do not do it. In short, Orlando, and pretty much all of Florida is "death's waiting room" - that's our awesome nick name that they have given us. It is filled with retirees and really old people. Orlando is one of the worst cities in Florida, and even America to try and make a living. You have read over and over again in this thread and similar threads that the pay is horrible and the jobs are extremely scarce. Florida is not where you start your life, or come to change your life for the better, it is where you come to end your life - retire, and even I have more self respect than to do that. There's MUCH better places to retire. When you visit Florida, look around you on the streets, in restaurants, in the malls, and count the grey hair versus young people. The ratio is shocking. The amount of old folk are staggering. I love my grandparents to death, but I do not want to live in their retirement community. I feel really out of place being one of maybe 5 young people in a full restaurant. I see this in both central and south Florida.

If you are coming to Florida with $750,000-$1million cash from other places, as many retirees are, then your situation might be a good one. You can buy a cheap house cash and live off the rest of your money. If you come here for a job, odds are you will start saving your pennies to move back out of the state or use what ever savings you have to move out of the Florida once you realize you've made a big mistake. I have known so many people who have moved to Florida from other states and every single one of them have moved back or have moved somewhere else. ALL my high school and college friends have move away. I can put you in contact with them if you'd like to get their input.

Now aside from the finances, how attractive does 100 degree weather with 90% humidity in a bug invested swamp sound to you? More bugs than people and they like to live off your sweat. Its like a sauna. You can't get used to living in a sauna. Speak to a doctor about the health benefits to living in such intense heat - there aren't any. Everything is flat, there's no mountains. Entertainment, bars, restaurants, theme parks etc are sooo expensive. Yes, Florida is cheaper to live but you get what you pay for don't you. Yes some of the cities have newer, clean areas than a lot of places out of state, but who cares if you're making below the poverty line income, before taxes and if its cultureless. Yes there's Disney and beaches. Who cares if your paycheck doesn't allow you to enjoy it, and even if it does, how many times can you go to Disney in 100 degree weather feeling like a sardine in a narrow river, before you get sick of it. There is nothing to do here, certainly nothing affordable. If you do move to Florida, at least move to the best part of Florida - Palm Beach County - West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, North Miami, certainly not Orlando eww.

Some inconsiderate person keeps comparing Orlando to San Francisco. I say inconsiderate because it is so obvious that he/she keeps putting San Francisco down and making Orlando sound like heaven, in an attempt to convince himself/herself because he/she says that he/she is moving to Orlando from San Francisco in the threads. You should be a better person and give honest feedback to less-experienced people, instead of creating them a false impression in order to justify your stupid decision.

You said "how can a person make it in San Francisco if he/she can't even make it in Florida". Were you serious? Have you worked in both areas or at least researched both areas? I have lived in both Orlando and San Francisco. Orlando is extremely tough to get a job that pays enough to support yourself. The majority of the people who get the skilled jobs have much more experience with top companies and degrees from reputable universities from out of state. Orlando is 90% hospitality and tourism type jobs and only exists because of Disney and the pay is laughable. San Francisco is a world class major city with a great reputation that has every single work industry on earth. With that being said, anyone, ANYONE is MUCH better off in San Francisco than Orlando, regardless of your field of work. Its common sense. After college I went from making $9.00 an hour in Orlando to $77,000 a year in San Francisco. My net pay in San Francisco was around $60,000 versus my net pay of $16,000 per year in Orlando. In both areas I worked in administration in an office. My total bills in San Francisco never exceeded $35,000 per year, and I lived by myself in an amazing studio in the heart. My total bills in Orlando was over $23,000 per year. I had to milk my parents just to survive. Thanks to me living in San Francisco for two years, I now actually have money. I plan to move back and I will have a business job and I anticipate making close to $100,000 within two years. Florida could never do that for my life in a million years. The only things more expensive in San Francisco is the taxes, gas (but you don't need a car), and of course rent. Other than that San Francisco has cheaper utilities, cheaper entertainment, restaurants, bars etc. and of course the endless outdoor activities are free and it has perfect weather for them.
If you are trying to beat San Francisco, at least attempt it with places like Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles etc...not Orlando!!! Your argument is laughable at best. Part of me thinks that you are just saying that to get a rise out of people. If you truly believe that Orlando is better than San Francisco in any category, your intelligence is rather questionable because its not an opinion, its a fact. Who are you trying to convince, innocent OP's, or YOURSELF? Now go talk BS somewhere else, Flori-duh Fanatic!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 PM

63 posts, read 53,003 times
Quote:
Finally you admit it.
This was aimed directly at you bmw in case you never realized

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Allow me to sum it up for you. If you move to Orlando to improve your life using a Florida job, you are making a huge mistake. Do not do it. In short, Orlando, and pretty much all of Florida is "death's waiting room" - that's our awesome nick name that they have given us. It is filled with retirees and really old people. Orlando is one of the worst cities in Florida, and even America to try and make a living. You have read over and over again in this thread and similar threads that the pay is horrible and the jobs are extremely scarce. Florida is not where you start your life, or come to change your life for the better, it is where you come to end your life - retire, and even I have more self respect than to do that. There's MUCH better places to retire. When you visit Florida, look around you on the streets, in restaurants, in the malls, and count the grey hair versus young people. The ratio is shocking. The amount of old folk are staggering. I love my grandparents to death, but I do not want to live in their retirement community. I feel really out of place being one of maybe 5 young people in a full restaurant. I see this in both central and south Florida.

If you are coming to Florida with $750,000-$1million cash from other places, as many retirees are, then your situation might be a good one. You can buy a cheap house cash and live off the rest of your money. If you come here for a job, odds are you will start saving your pennies to move back out of the state or use what ever savings you have to move out of the Florida once you realize you've made a big mistake. I have known so many people who have moved to Florida from other states and every single one of them have moved back or have moved somewhere else. ALL my high school and college friends have move away. I can put you in contact with them if you'd like to get their input.

Now aside from the finances, how attractive does 100 degree weather with 90% humidity in a bug invested swamp sound to you? More bugs than people and they like to live off your sweat. Its like a sauna. You can't get used to living in a sauna. Speak to a doctor about the health benefits to living in such intense heat - there aren't any. Everything is flat, there's no mountains. Entertainment, bars, restaurants, theme parks etc are sooo expensive. Yes, Florida is cheaper to live but you get what you pay for don't you. Yes some of the cities have newer, clean areas than a lot of places out of state, but who cares if you're making below the poverty line income, before taxes and if its cultureless. Yes there's Disney and beaches. Who cares if your paycheck doesn't allow you to enjoy it, and even if it does, how many times can you go to Disney in 100 degree weather feeling like a sardine in a narrow river, before you get sick of it. There is nothing to do here, certainly nothing affordable. If you do move to Florida, at least move to the best part of Florida - Palm Beach County - West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, North Miami, certainly not Orlando eww.

Some inconsiderate person keeps comparing Orlando to San Francisco. I say inconsiderate because it is so obvious that he/she keeps putting San Francisco down and making Orlando sound like heaven, in an attempt to convince himself/herself because he/she says that he/she is moving to Orlando from San Francisco in the threads. You should be a better person and give honest feedback to less-experienced people, instead of creating them a false impression in order to justify your stupid decision.

You said "how can a person make it in San Francisco if he/she can't even make it in Florida". Were you serious? Have you worked in both areas or at least researched both areas? I have lived in both Orlando and San Francisco. Orlando is extremely tough to get a job that pays enough to support yourself. The majority of the people who get the skilled jobs have much more experience with top companies and degrees from reputable universities from out of state. Orlando is 90% hospitality and tourism type jobs and only exists because of Disney and the pay is laughable. San Francisco is a world class major city with a great reputation that has every single work industry on earth. With that being said, anyone, ANYONE is MUCH better off in San Francisco than Orlando, regardless of your field of work. Its common sense. After college I went from making $9.00 an hour in Orlando to $77,000 a year in San Francisco. My net pay in San Francisco was around $60,000 versus my net pay of $16,000 per year in Orlando. In both areas I worked in administration in an office. My total bills in San Francisco never exceeded $35,000 per year, and I lived by myself in an amazing studio in the heart. My total bills in Orlando was over $23,000 per year. I had to milk my parents just to survive. Thanks to me living in San Francisco for two years, I now actually have money. I plan to move back and I will have a business job and I anticipate making close to $100,000 within two years. Florida could never do that for my life in a million years. The only things more expensive in San Francisco is the taxes, gas (but you don't need a car), and of course rent. Other than that San Francisco has cheaper utilities, cheaper entertainment, restaurants, bars etc. and of course the endless outdoor activities are free and it has perfect weather for them.
If you are trying to beat San Francisco, at least attempt it with places like Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles etc...not Orlando!!! Your argument is laughable at best. Part of me thinks that you are just saying that to get a rise out of people. If you truly believe that Orlando is better than San Francisco in any category, your intelligence is rather questionable because its not an opinion, its a fact. Who are you trying to convince, innocent OP's, or YOURSELF? Now go talk BS somewhere else, Flori-duh Fanatic!

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 AM

lol Passion, best of luck to you buddy. I will in fact show your post to a couple of my friends here. Times have changed, you are no longer going to be able to have your own studio in a central part of the city while keeping your total yearly costs $35k and still enjoying life. And I think San Francisco is a great city for the record. However, someone who is barely making it in Florida or someone without a lot in savings should not move to SF unless they have a great job lined up because the city will eat you alive. For me it's a matter of preference. The cost of living in San Francisco has become so high that I could live in Tokyo for less, which is an actual world class city with endless amounts of entertainment. I actually was considering moving to Seoul, but I'm tired of urban living. San Francisco is actually a small city and is definitely not on the same level as NYC, Tokyo, Paris, London etc, yet the prices are more expensive, while the city has a lot more crime and filled with trash compared to those. I've got to experience urban living, it was fun, but I'm now passed that stage in life. It's okay if you are still a kid wanting to experience it. I think experiencing different cities and even countries is a good thing to do in life. However for me, I'm ready to have some space and am looking forward to a more laid back and luxurious lifestyle that Orlando can offer. I used to live in Orlando and have spent a total of 6-7 years in San Francisco, so I think I have a fairly good understanding of both areas. Every person has their own tastes. You might hate Florida's heat and humidity, but I love it. I hate the windy cold fog in San Francisco, but I know people who love it. What we are talking about here is the cost of living and how someone who is struggling in Orlando is most likely going to struggle even more in San Francisco. Just compare current wages to cost of living. It doesn't matter what the ratio was 10, 20, 50 years ago.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-25-2015 at 12:33 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
One of the most ignorant and idiotic posts I've read in a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4_Cars_Travelling View Post
This was aimed directly at you bmw in case you never realized
Quote:

You have read over and over again in this thread and similar threads that the pay is horrible and the jobs are extremely scarce.
Jobs are scarce? What, did I just get super lucky that even BEFORE finishing my degree, I was offered full-time employment by 3 different, reputable companies, with decent pay? And to this day, firms are still offering me employment.
Same with my wife... And friends... And sister... I guess we're just a lucky bunch?
I was able to buy a house at 23. A GOOD house. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to do this in SF.
No, jobs aren't scarce.
And no, pay isn't horrible if you have a skill that's in demand. If you work in the service sector, then yes, it will be horrible. I don't consider being a server or a cashier or a park ride operator to be a career.

Quote:
The amount of old folk are staggering. I love my grandparents to death, but I do not want to live in their retirement community. I feel really out of place being one of maybe 5 young people in a full restaurant. I see this in both central and south Florida.

Old folks are concentrated in retirement communities. Unless you live in The Villages, odds are you won't encounter extremely large concentrations of elderly.

If you are coming to Florida with $750,000-$1million cash from other places, as many retirees are, then your situation might be a good one. You can buy a cheap house cash and live off the rest of your money. If you come here for a job, odds are you will start saving your pennies to move back out of the state or use what ever savings you have to move out of the Florida once you realize you've made a big mistake. I have known so many people who have moved to Florida from other states and every single one of them have moved back or have moved somewhere else. ALL my high school and college friends have move away. I can put you in contact with them if you'd like to get their input.[/quote]

90% of my High School and College friends are still in the area -- and have good jobs, and families, and houses.

Quote:
Entertainment, bars, restaurants, theme parks etc are sooo expensive.
Expensive compared to what? Sure the theme parks are expensive, but as locals, we constantly get massive discounts.
Restaurants are the same price everywhere. If I take my wife out to eat, I expect to pay around $100 on average, which includes a 3-course meal, wine, and tip. This is what I expect to pay in any city.
Bars are expensive? I find them to be ridiculously cheap compared to anywhere else.

Quote:
Yes, Florida is cheaper to live but you get what you pay for don't you. Yes some of the cities have newer, clean areas than a lot of places out of state, but who cares if you're making below the poverty line income, before taxes and if its cultureless. Yes there's Disney and beaches. Who cares if your paycheck doesn't allow you to enjoy it, and even if it does, how many times can you go to Disney in 100 degree weather feeling like a sardine in a narrow river, before you get sick of it. There is nothing to do here, certainly nothing affordable. If you do move to Florida, at least move to the best part of Florida - Palm Beach County - West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, North Miami, certainly not Orlando eww.

There is nothing to do here? Maybe you just live a life of bore... I find things to do every weekend, whether it's outings with the kids, alone, or with the wife, or with friends. Metro Orlando is very big, and as such, is loaded with options as far as what to do.
What do the cities you mention have that Orlando doesn't? Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
You said "how can a person make it in San Francisco if he/she can't even make it in Florida". Were you serious? Have you worked in both areas or at least researched both areas? I have lived in both Orlando and San Francisco. Orlando is extremely tough to get a job that pays enough to support yourself. The majority of the people who get the skilled jobs have much more experience with top companies and degrees from reputable universities from out of state. Orlando is 90% hospitality and tourism type jobs and only exists because of Disney and the pay is laughable. San Francisco is a world class major city with a great reputation that has every single work industry on earth. With that being said, anyone, ANYONE is MUCH better off in San Francisco than Orlando, regardless of your field of work. Its common sense. After college I went from making $9.00 an hour in Orlando to $77,000 a year in San Francisco. My net pay in San Francisco was around $60,000 versus my net pay of $16,000 per year in Orlando. In both areas I worked in administration in an office. My total bills in San Francisco never exceeded $35,000 per year, and I lived by myself in an amazing studio in the heart. My total bills in Orlando was over $23,000 per year. I had to milk my parents just to survive.
So, the same job that was paying you $9.00/hr in Orlando is paying you $37/hr in SF? Or are you comparing two completely different jobs? You can't compare working at a gas station in Orlando to working in IT in SF -- or anywhere for that matter.
My job would pay me an extra 10% in SF, and 15% in NYC, than what I make here. That's roughly average in pay increase when comparing those areas to Orlando.
You making $9.00/hr after college is entirely your fault. What did you study, Music Appreciation?
My wife was making over $20/hr after getting her A.S. at 22. So were all of her friends and classmates.

Quote:
The only things more expensive in San Francisco is the taxes, gas (but you don't need a car), and of course rent. Other than that San Francisco has cheaper utilities, cheaper entertainment, restaurants, bars etc. and of course the endless outdoor activities are free and it has perfect weather for them.
If you are trying to beat San Francisco, at least attempt it with places like Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles etc...not Orlando!!! Your argument is laughable at best. Part of me thinks that you are just saying that to get a rise out of people. If you truly believe that Orlando is better than San Francisco in any category, your intelligence is rather questionable because its not an opinion, its a fact.
Oh dear, it's a FACT that SF is better than Orlando? I believe your intelligence is questionable in this case. It is opinion -- nothing more, nothing less. You hate Orlando, fine. But your arguments and reasons for hating it make YOU appear to be ignorant and foolish. Chicago? L.A.? Seriously?

Quote:
Who are you trying to convince, innocent OP's, or YOURSELF? Now go talk BS somewhere else, Flori-duh Fanatic!
If you hate Orlando because it paid your worthless degree **** poor wages and you couldn't afford to live, good for you. Those of us who can afford to live here comfortably love it.
Stop bashing a city just because you couldn't make it here.
The 80% of us who make above the poverty line wage you brought up do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando