Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No, proper English is what you need in a professional setting. You aren't going to make any deals or make a company trust you if your pants sag to your knees and you say, "what it be you guys want?"

We are talking about jobs and yes there is a proper way to dress, maybe that's why you complain the job market is so terrible if you truly don't believe this.

The reason why Asians make more money in this country than even Whites is because of their strong drive to study and work hard in school and after school, so yes studying hard is important. If you study hard, you can get into top schools and get scholarships, so you may not have any student loan debt.

If you refuse to save money, so you can then invest it whether it's CDs, mutual funds, stocks, annuities, etc then you can only blame yourself at the end of the day. If my parents could come to this country with absolutely nothing, not even knowing English and make it, so can you and your children.

However, if you refuse to teach self accountability or say, well I know a wealthy person who buys cigarettes, therefore why shouldn't I be able to buy cigarettes too, then you will always be poor and complaining.
i dont agree, many older men of a certain race dont speak what you call proper english, they speak how they want. Certain races are allowed to speak how they want and others are descriminated for it. I wasnt complaining about the job market, im fine. I will speak on the negatives I see though. Asians are an exceptional group that many american companies take advantage of and use your reasoning for justification. Not many American fortune 500 companies are ran by Asians. Asians are used for their mathematical skills, they never are the BOSS though, I guess they dont speak proper enough english lol. What foreign country are your parents from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
No, proper English is what you need in a professional setting. You aren't going to make any deals or make a company trust you if your pants sag to your knees and you say, "what it be you guys want?"

We are talking about jobs and yes there is a proper way to dress, maybe that's why you complain the job market is so terrible if you truly don't believe this.

The reason why Asians make more money in this country than even Whites is because of their strong drive to study and work hard in school and after school, so yes studying hard is important. If you study hard, you can get into top schools and get scholarships, so you may not have any student loan debt.

If you refuse to save money, so you can then invest it whether it's CDs, mutual funds, stocks, annuities, etc then you can only blame yourself at the end of the day. If my parents could come to this country with absolutely nothing, not even knowing English and make it, so can you and your children.

However, if you refuse to teach self accountability or say, well I know a wealthy person who buys cigarettes, therefore why shouldn't I be able to buy cigarettes too, then you will always be poor and complaining.
Exactly. I once had a boss who hired an Asian guy on the spot without even interviewing him because he walked in wearing a shirt and tie. This was for a p/t data entry job and the company was looking to hire a student and willing to work around their class schedule. He was an excellent employee.

Think about that viral video of the kid in Target who asked for help with tying the tie he was buying to wear to an interview. He got the job because he took the time to dress properly and the initiative to ask for a hand up, not a hand out.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I would also add that if you are really motivated, it also matters how you present yourself outside of work or job interviews because you never know who you will meet. One of my friends was a server at a restaurant and was eventually recruited by a customer who owns a medical building in the Lake Nona area that was a salary position with full benefits.

I was at my cousin's welcome back party and I ended up talking to one of the guys there. He ended up being the Vice President of a major mortgage brokerage in the Bay Area. He was impressed talking to me that he offered to be my personal mentor.

My point is, you never know who you will meet out and about, so if you present yourself well, you might come across some great opportunities.
Who is this advice for?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was born poor. Grew up in a working class family. I paid for my own education and made my way in life at the age of 18 with nothing more than a HS diploma in hand. It can be done, and I'm living proof. I wasn't lazy. I worked f/t and went to college, or worked full time and p/t, or even both. At one point I juggled three jobs. I worked in a mall store from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. Changed and went to my server job at 4:00. Finished there and went to tend bar starting at 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday and did the 10:00 am to 8:00 pm shift on Monday, which was the day I had off from the other two jobs.

I'm judgmental of lazy people and people who make bad choices. I've earned the right to be so through hard work. If I can do it, so can they. They just have to be willing to do the work. Most aren't. So what should we do? Put them in a cute house with a white picket fence and pay them to live there? Um, I don't think so.

As far as fixing things, I say tell them to either make that lifestyle change or accept their fate.

Touche, annerk!

You sound like me, I used to hold down 3 jobs when I first moved to Atlanta. My industry wasn't large in Orlando at the time, so I went where I needed to go. After working hard and paying my dues in the industry that I love, I now have a portable job and can live anywhere. It has all been worth it.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I would also add that if you are really motivated, it also matters how you present yourself outside of work or job interviews because you never know who you will meet. One of my friends was a server at a restaurant and was eventually recruited by a customer who owns a medical building in the Lake Nona area that was a salary position with full benefits.

I was at my cousin's welcome back party and I ended up talking to one of the guys there. He ended up being the Vice President of a major mortgage brokerage in the Bay Area. He was impressed talking to me that he offered to be my personal mentor.

My point is, you never know who you will meet out and about, so if you present yourself well, you might come across some great opportunities.
I'd also apply that to Facebook. I ALWAYS Google someone before I even both to interview them. If I get to their Facebook page and it's full of racial slurs, photos of them drunk (not socially drinking, I'm fine with that), throwing gang symbols, foul language, drugs, etc. I'm not going to bother to interview them. Someone who doesn't have the good judgement to at least lock down the page if they are going to put less than PC things on it is someone I'm no interested in hiring. Bad judgement in social media and bad judgement on the job are correlated.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
[quote=bmw335xi;41114873]No, proper English is what you need in a professional setting. You aren't going to make any deals or make a company trust you if your pants sag to your knees and you say, "what it be you guys want?"

1-There is etiquette and time and place for all things, I know people making good $80+ a year and love that look-the droopy pants - I don't personally like it- but it is all relative to where you work-
2-
As for the Asian community- do you know they pool the families together and give a " sizable gift" to the next kid coming up to open their business, or buy a house etc. --HELPS doesn't it?
FYI
Of the school's 4,000 students, nearly 3,000 are of Asian descent, are willing to do whatever it takes to gain entrance to a prestigious university. They will study until they can't remember how to have fun and stuff their schedules with extracurriculars. But there's an important part of their college applications that they can't improve as easily as an SAT score: their ethnicity. Still, anxiety over racial admissions rates is peaking as cash-crunched public universities increasingly favor high-paying out-of-state and foreign students at the expense of local applicants of every ethnicity. For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

3- When you hear “Multi-Billion Dollar Industry” what comes to mind? Many would list the gas industry, automotive, entertainment, and many others of the variety. What most people do not think is the waste management industry. Waste management has an annual revenue of 75 billion dollars, making it a large part of our economy.
To be very truthful there a lot of under the table stuff goes on- this is the point- it is not all so clear and equal. It is not a pretty bow as the end product suggests. Work hard study and you will be on the top,,,looking down at the rest-- because the rest are leeches.
There are scores of people monitoring big money to make sure they are staying within the law, and one be surprised who will go to heaven and who wont if it depended on their business practices.

4-Are there bums/ lazy no good leeching people- yes- but not as many as you propose there are.

The Unknown $75 Billion Industry

Old 09-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
^Well, I never meet anyone who is doing well here. If they are working at all, they work 2 min. wage jobs and have no time for a life.
Birds of a feather...

Old 09-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
You must be hanging around with the wrong crowd. The majority of my friends are college educated professionals with a household income of over $100K--in many cases over $200K. I'd also say that it's not like I know everyone in the area with a college degree and good job.
The OP stated that the average salary in Orlando was 25000-30000 annually, yet you and your above avarage frienss make 100k to 200k annually. Which means you and your pals are out of touch with normal citizens in Orlando. You blame people for not having rich well paid friends only because you claim to have them. Annerk if you and your people are so successful why fuss and fight with those who dont like the system. The systsm works in your favor so you should be good right?

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The 10 U.S. Cities Where People Earn The Smallest Paychecks - In Photos: The Cities Where People Earn The Biggest and Smallest Paychecks

Old 09-07-2015, 04:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
When did you move to the area? I'm guessing you missed the boon years from 2002-2007. It was a very different rodeo around here then.
I actually moved here in late 2006. So I arrived when the horse was starting to get angry. I didn't realize that the unemployment rate here was 2% and that service-sector jobs were paying that well. I was only aware of the national unemployment rate which I believe was a little above 5% or so. However, I do remember the condo craze and paying WAY more in rent than the same apartment would go for in 2008. Things were generally going well here economically. It'll be great to have that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando