Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was born poor. Grew up in a working class family. I paid for my own education and made my way in life at the age of 18 with nothing more than a HS diploma in hand. It can be done, and I'm living proof. I wasn't lazy. I worked f/t and went to college, or worked full time and p/t, or even both. At one point I juggled three jobs. I worked in a mall store from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. Changed and went to my server job at 4:00. Finished there and went to tend bar starting at 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday and did the 10:00 am to 8:00 pm shift on Monday, which was the day I had off from the other two jobs.

I'm judgmental of lazy people and people who make bad choices. I've earned the right to be so through hard work. If I can do it, so can they. They just have to be willing to do the work. Most aren't. So what should we do? Put them in a cute house with a white picket fence and pay them to live there? Um, I don't think so.

As far as fixing things, I say tell them to either make that lifestyle change or accept their fate.
You resent having to work hard instead of getting it free like those IN the establishment. Caring on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 04:01 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Low wages are a chronic problem throughout all of Florida. We have had Republican governors doing everything in their power to keep wages and benefits to a minimum throughout our whole state for decades now.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Birds of a feather...
Wow. I can't even believe how rude this is. Enjoy living in your delusion.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
^Well, I never meet anyone who is doing well here. If they are working at all, they work 2 min. wage jobs and have no time for a life.
So I guess all of the doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, and executives fly in from Atlanta or somewhere everyday to work here?

Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Who is this advice for?
Anyone that wants to succeed and progress.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Hardly rude at all. It's called a needed dose of reality.

There seems to be an emerging opinion by a minority here that entitlement & mediocrity are okay. I consider that sad as hell.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
The OP stated that the average salary in Orlando was 25000-30000 annually, yet you and your above avarage frienss make 100k to 200k annually. Which means you and your pals are out of touch with normal citizens in Orlando. You blame people for not having rich well paid friends only because you claim to have them. Annerk if you and your people are so successful why fuss and fight with those who dont like the system. The systsm works in your favor so you should be good right?
It only works in our favor because we worked hard to get to where we are.

I also have friends who are scraping by. They fall into two categories. People who made bad choices in life and in most cases continue to do so, and people who are actively working towards gaining education and/or job skills to get ahead.

One of my best friends makes $20K a year. She made some bad choices earlier in her life. She decided that she wanted better for herself, and a couple years ago formulated a plan to make it happen. She quit drinking and smoking to have money and time to earn a college degree. She now works full time and goes to college full time on top of it. She's 43 years old. She will graduate with a BA in two more years. She did her first two years at Valencia and is now at UCF. She will graduate with a very manageable $12K in student loans. I'm super proud of her. She isn't looking for a hand out and is doing this for herself, by herself.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Reality is what people need to hear even if it isn't politically correct or what they want to hear.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I actually moved here in late 2006. So I arrived when the horse was starting to get angry. I didn't realize that the unemployment rate here was 2% and that service-sector jobs were paying that well. I was only aware of the national unemployment rate which I believe was a little above 5% or so. However, I do remember the condo craze and paying WAY more in rent than the same apartment would go for in 2008. Things were generally going well here economically. It'll be great to have that again.
It was actually pretty crazy what employers were paying. The McDonalds in Winter Garden was advertising $14 an hour and still couldn't get applicants.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Low wages are a chronic problem throughout all of Florida. We have had Republican governors doing everything in their power to keep wages and benefits to a minimum throughout our whole state for decades now.
Republican governors make owning a home for the average person much easier. Who cares if you make more if the cost of living far exceeds that increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando