Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 05:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
You resent having to work hard instead of getting it free like those IN the establishment. Caring on
No, I resent people who moan and complain about their lot in life but refuse to get a clue and do anything productive about it. There are a couple on these boards who fit into that shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
So I guess all of the doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, and executives fly in from Atlanta or somewhere everyday to work here?
LOL!

The lack of common sense is amazing, isn't it.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Hardly rude at all. It's called a needed dose of reality.

There seems to be an emerging opinion by a minority here that entitlement & mediocrity are okay. I consider that sad as hell.
I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:23 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,101,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Republican governors make owning a home for the average person much easier. Who cares if you make more if the cost of living far exceeds that increase.
Decades of Republican governorship in Florida have created an economy with among the worst incomes in the nation, worst working benefits in the nation, and well above average unemployment. Wealthy retirees can purchase homes in Florida but hardly anyone else can.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,478,975 times
[quote=tinytrump;41115646]
Quote:
No, proper English is what you need in a professional setting. You aren't going to make any deals or make a company trust you if your pants sag to your knees and you say, "what it be you guys want?"

The reason why Asians make more money in this country than even Whites is because of their strong drive to study and work hard in school and after school, so yes studying hard is important. If you study hard, you can get into top schools and get scholarships,
Of the school's 4,000 students, nearly 3,000 are of Asian descent, are willing to do whatever it takes to gain entrance to a prestigious university. They will study until they can't remember how to have fun and stuff their schedules with extracurriculars. But there's an important part of their college applications that they can't improve as easily as an SAT score: their ethnicity. Still, anxiety over racial admissions rates is peaking as cash-crunched public universities increasingly favor high-paying out-of-state and foreign students at the expense of local applicants of every ethnicity. For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

3- When you hear “Multi-Billion Dollar Industry” what comes to mind? Many would list the gas industry, automotive, entertainment, and many others of the variety. What most people do not think is the waste management industry. Waste management has an annual revenue of 75 billion dollars, making it a large part of our economy.
To be very truthful there a lot of under the table stuff goes on- this is the point- it is not all so clear and equal. It is not a pretty bow as the end product suggests. Work hard study and you will be on the top,,,looking down at the rest-- because the rest are leeches.
There are scores of people monitoring big money to make sure they are staying within the law, and one be surprised who will go to heaven and who wont if it depended on their business practices.

4-Are there bums/ lazy no good leeching people- yes- but not as many as you propose there are.

The Unknown $75 Billion Industry
I recently became close friends with an east indian woman and a korean woman at my job, neither of them are US citizens but still work at my company. When I first meet them they were both very excited to be here, very happy to work in America. AFTER some time this changed, their attitude toward certain Americans formed. When I would take either of them out to hang out they would ask me the why this, why that questions. What I learned is that academic education was very important to them and their culture. Both of the ladies are shuttled to and from work by the company but outside of that have to use taxis and public transportation. They both say only other asians help them out and how their no asian coworkers never invite them to anything. They dont even work in my department. What Ive come to realize is they dont have any life, im as square as they come. Im not a party guy or anthing like that, but everytime I pick these women up and go anywhere they are extremely greatful. Sometimes I feel bad for them, because the more they open up and talk about work, the more they sound like foreign slaves. Theses are same well mannered Asians that the elites like to hold in high regard and say "look at the Asians see how hard working they are" "see how they dress well and speak properly" "if others want to be successful they should be like the asians" Well Ill pass. I work well at my job, not hard. Fact still remains Orlando has a lot of low paying jobs.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM

24,327 posts, read 26,725,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Decades of Republican governorship in Florida have created an economy with among the worst incomes in the nation, worst working benefits in the nation, and well above average unemployment. Wealthy retirees can purchase homes in Florida but hardly anyone else can.
Check home ownership rates between California and Florida. We have people here earning $100k and still saying they will be destined to be a renter for life unless they move out to the boonies. Now our governor wants to increase the tax on gas by 7 cents when we already have the highest in the country and on top of that charge something liek $65 year for a new highway tax and Democrats are saying that still isnt enough even though we just increased our state income taxes recently. It never ends which is why the middle class is being pushed out of the state. Look at any major city in Europe. Liberal policies on the state and local level drive up cost of living so much.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times
Quote:
Low wages are a chronic problem throughout all of Florida. We have had Republican governors doing everything in their power to keep wages and benefits to a minimum throughout our whole state for decades now.
And how do you suggest they pulled that off?

Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,721,385 times
Quote:
I would also add that if you are really motivated, it also matters how you present yourself outside of work or job interviews because you never know who you will meet. One of my friends was a server at a restaurant and was eventually recruited by a customer who owns a medical building in the Lake Nona area that was a salary position with full benefits.

I was at my cousin's welcome back party and I ended up talking to one of the guys there. He ended up being the Vice President of a major mortgage brokerage in the Bay Area. He was impressed talking to me that he offered to be my personal mentor.

My point is, you never know who you will meet out and about, so if you present yourself well, you might come across some great opportunities.
This is so true. If you get involved at a church, charity, sports group, Toastmasters, your apartment complex's socials, or something, you never know who will meet who provide you with an opportunity. You can spend your days scrolling through Monster and Career Builder, but the people who are intentional about being well connected will probably beat you to the job.

Quote:
By speaking proper English, learning a second language, dressing correctly, studying hard in school, keeping a daily budget, investing and continually adding funds in some balanced mutual funds instead of wasting money buying liquor, soda, cigarettes and/or drugs. However, these are things government cannot force people to do or change. Low income people tend to be some of the biggest buyers of these things. I think schools should teach life skills and by life skills I'm not talking about how to have safe sex, but how to create a budget, the power of compounding interest, simple ways to save money etc.
The state doesn't test personal finance, so it'll probably never be mandatory. However, personal finance programs for schools do exist. Home economics would be nice too. But as long as we are only concerned about STEM STEM STEM, those classes are never going to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Proper english is about comfort for the elite. People whos egos are so big they refuse try to understand those who dont speak like them. Language I see your point. There is no CORRECT way to dress. There is a proper way to dress in certain settings. Studying hard doesnt mean a hill of beans when many graduates are guaranteed a job just for having the right parents and attending the right school. Grades dont get you the job, it rarely does. Rich people buy liquor, soda, cigarettes and drugs all the time and they didnt get rich by avoiding soda, liquor and cigerettes. Life skills come from Parents not Schools. Schools are for academics. I hear what you are trying to say, i just dont agree with your rules and forcing people to live a certain way just to make enough to survive on.
You just gave the answer to the problem. If you want to be successful, you have to play the game even if you don't want to. Then when you're running the show, you can do whatever you want.

https://www.facebook.com/james.frazi...7867674246941/

Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Not true at all. About half of my friends who live in this area were either born here or moved here over 15 years ago. 2/3 of them are homeowners. Some own modest homes in working class areas, others live in middle income areas like like Winter Springs or Clermont, and a handful live in places like Heathrow Woods in million+ homes.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 PM

24,327 posts, read 26,725,717 times
[quote=0nyxStation;41116036]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I recently became close friends with an east indian woman and a korean woman at my job, neither of them are US citizens but still work at my company. When I first meet them they were both very excited to be here, very happy to work in America. AFTER some time this changed, their attitude toward certain Americans formed. When I would take either of them out to hang out they would ask me the why this, why that questions. What I learned is that academic education was very important to them and their culture. Both of the ladies are shuttled to and from work by the company but outside of that have to use taxis and public transportation. They both say only other asians help them out and how their no asian coworkers never invite them to anything. They dont even work in my department. What Ive come to realize is they dont have any life, im as square as they come. Im not a party guy or anthing like that, but everytime I pick these women up and go anywhere they are extremely greatful. Sometimes I feel bad for them, because the more they open up and talk about work, the more they sound like foreign slaves. Theses are same well mannered Asians that the elites like to hold in high regard and say "look at the Asians see how hard working they are" "see how they dress well and speak properly" "if others want to be successful they should be like the asians" Well Ill pass. I work well at my job, not hard. Fact still remains Orlando has a lot of low paying jobs.
This makes you sound like a borderline racist lol, but if you don't have much experience with Asians I guess I can't blame you for your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando