Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:42 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I hate that they are putting tolls on I4. What a bad idea.
I think it's a great idea. I like having options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,894,939 times
Luckily I don't have to deal with too many tolls in my daily commute and the ones I usually hit down here in Miami are always the same price unlike the fluctuating ones they have on I-95.Those tolls vary based on the amount of traffic,if there's no traffic they can be as little as .50 to go the 7 express miles,however when there's traffic those .50 can go up to $10.50,yes $10.50 to go 7 miles!!!The scary thing is that paying $10.50 to go 7 miles isn't deterring people from getting on those lanes which during heavy traffic are not flowing the way they were intended,basically for $10.50 you can avoid the bumper to bumper at 5mph and instead get bumper to bumper at 20mph,the solution that's being considered is to jack up the price to $14,$2 for every mile,seriously!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
Luckily I don't have to deal with too many tolls in my daily commute and the ones I usually hit down here in Miami are always the same price unlike the fluctuating ones they have on I-95.Those tolls vary based on the amount of traffic,if there's no traffic they can be as little as .50 to go the 7 express miles,however when there's traffic those .50 can go up to $10.50,yes $10.50 to go 7 miles!!!The scary thing is that paying $10.50 to go 7 miles isn't deterring people from getting on those lanes which during heavy traffic are not flowing the way they were intended,basically for $10.50 you can avoid the bumper to bumper at 5mph and instead get bumper to bumper at 20mph,the solution that's being considered is to jack up the price to $14,$2 for every mile,seriously!!!
That is how the I-4 toll lanes will work. Congestion-based pricing. Makes total sense IMO

9 Investigates: How I-4 toll lanes will work | www.wftv.com

Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 PM

151 posts, read 155,365 times
Quote:
Trying to brainstorm reasons our traffic is so bad. I've come up with a list.

--LYNX bus always hogging right lane

--bad drivers from NY/NJ

--no safety inspections = unsafe cars on road

--jaywalkers

--dumb people walking into traffic asking for money

--Florida road projects take too long to complete

--texting while driving

--people who moved here from somewhere else don't know how to drive in rain

--hit and runs
First, Orlando's traffic (especially the surface streets) is just as bad as any other city, metro area. And secondly, you can't blame the traffic on LYNX buses making stops. How's this, let's build a subway system to take those buses off the road? In your mind, that probably will work, but in FL you cant, so buses is what we have, especially when you combine that with local officials not wanting to build bus lanes and better transit options (and in some areas, bus lanes, or even bus pull offs aren't an option).

Quote:
I hate that they are putting tolls on I4. What a bad idea.
The tolls aren't in all the lanes, so if you don't want to pay a toll, for a faster drive, don't use them. Just like the 408, you don't want to pay, take SR50 or other East/West roads. The toll lanes actually do ease congestion because there are people who will want to pay to get there quicker. They're not making you pay the toll, and they're not taking lanes away for tolls. They're adding toll lanes.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:20 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
You leave out the biggest problem at all-

I-4 / 408 Interchange.
How on Earth such an oversight got built that a 10 lane highway would have a SINGLE on-ramp for both directions.

As for the Jaywalkers- while it's certainly an issue, certain MAJOR streets like Orange Ave and Orange Blossom Trail and parts of Colonial have -NO- crosswalks, sometimes for a half a mile. It's very unsafe for all parties involved and should be addressed.

Still as some posters have commented, Orlando traffic is a DREAM compared to major congested areas. I'll take a crowded I-4 over a 'smooth' 495 in either DC or NY/LI- they BOTH suck. 495 as a number is just cursed. :P

Old 09-16-2015, 12:58 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post

I-4 / 408 Interchange.
How on Earth such an oversight got built that a 10 lane highway would have a SINGLE on-ramp for both directions.

As for the Jaywalkers- while it's certainly an issue, certain MAJOR streets like Orange Ave and Orange Blossom Trail and parts of Colonial have -NO- crosswalks, sometimes for a half a mile. It's very unsafe for all parties involved and should be addressed.

Still as some posters have commented, Orlando traffic is a DREAM compared to major congested areas. I'll take a crowded I-4 over a 'smooth' 495 in either DC or NY/LI- they BOTH suck. 495 as a number is just cursed. :P
Yup, even when Orlando traffic sucks, it still moves lol

Old 09-16-2015, 03:43 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,258 times
Quote:

I-4 / 408 Interchange.
I mentioned this to someone on here before, but the I-4/408 interchange was apparently supposed to have toll booths, and that's the reason why it was built that way. I imagine it would have been like the Turnpike/528 interchange.

I don't know how long you've been here, but when the 408 was only 6 lanes across, that interchange was even worse. Eastbound traffic was horrendous in the afternoon and there would be a backup in the westbound lanes from at least Dean to the I-4 interchange every weekday morning. There were no highway speed express toll lanes in the plazas yet, or at the least the Conway toll plaza, which slowed things down quite a bit. Oh the memories.

Thankfully, I-4 Ultimate is going to clean that interchange up.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
I don't know - I like the traffic flow in Orl. but dead people every day!!!-- stop people! This is a very sore subject for me, as I lost 2nd son to a bad stupid driver- I lose it when I see idiot arrogant and self serving drivers think they own the road or are driving a race car and those who do NOT stop after the accident --COWARDS! go to jail forever

Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 AM

17,118 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:

I-4 / 408 Interchange.

To make it even worse, if you're coming from the East side of I4 and plan on taking 408 West, you get onto the single-lane ramp, and then have to dash across the eastbound ramp lane to get to the westbound one within half a mile. No sense whatsoever.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
the people who make highways - I have often wonder if they drive on them? or they just take some sketches and number and but them in a big ball and pull them out like lottery. I know they are architects etc. but do they take in account real drivers in real cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando