Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:31 PM

17,131 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Dont need data. I completely agree as do most that Orlando is very transient. FL in general is VERY transient. Other than maybe Las Vegas I dont know of any place more transient than cities in FL.

Ask someone who's lived in FL for 5, 10 yrs if they would consider leaving. You'll see how many will. Ask the same question, in say, NC. Totally different responses.
Most people I know in NYC express a desire to leave.
Most people I know in FL -- and in Orlando specifically -- have no desire to leave.

7 out of the last 10 people who got hired at our firm came from the Carolinas, where they either got laid off or simlpy decided to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Orlando skyline has grown significantly since 2006 but I'm more impressed with streetlevel development. The downtown core from Florida Hospital to the North to Sodo to South is so much more vibrant now.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Completely agree on the street level point, I moved here in 2009. At that point, the Magic still hadn't put their stadium next to Downtown and the DP wasn't even under construction. Wall Street I'm guessing was still a party district, but as I remember, the level of street activity felt more like a college and there were certainly more store vacancies, plus the stores that were occupied then seemed to be more of a fast food variety. As I remember then, the fine dining and upscale nightlife scene around DT wasn't even close to what it was now. I also don't remember Lake Eola and Thornton Park having as many businesses, or drawing nearly as much foot traffic. I could be wrong, but those are my impressions.

Edit: I wasn't positive on your comment about the skyline changing much since I hadn't really observed it. But from looking at numbers, you are absolutely correct on since 2006. The thing is to put in perspective, 5 of DT Orlando's current tallest 8 skyscrapers went up between 2006 and 2008, which makes a pretty DANG big difference. But, I never would've noticed, since to my knowledge nothing new highrise wise has gone up downtown since 2009, at least that I know of.

Does anyone know of anything "new" or "major" happening in terms of development in the downtown/core hoods? Because I've always been fascinated by this stuff. I know that UCF's Campus, if it happens will certainly be a game changer, but, news on that has largely been silent. I know the tax credit got blocked, but I was pretty sure that the plan was still to go through with it, and with an opening date that has been set at less than 2 years away for a project that massive, I really wish we'd hear SOMETHING. I do have to admit, most of the recent developments and construction seem centered around the I-4 area more than the downtown.

Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.ucf.edu/downtown/files/20...sal-Slides.pdf
Latest updates

Old 09-24-2015, 02:28 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Does anyone know of anything "new" or "major" happening in terms of development in the downtown/core hoods? Because I've always been fascinated by this stuff.
I believe that big empty lot in the bottom of the OP's second picture is the old ORMC Lucerne hospital, which is being transformed into a large retail/residential unit with a supposed high end grocery as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...o-healths.html

Old 09-24-2015, 02:30 PM

There's a ton of new development planned. A great place to keep up on this information is Bungalower - Covering News in Orlando's Bungalow Neighborhoods.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Most people I know in NYC express a desire to leave.
Most people I know in FL -- and in Orlando specifically -- have no desire to leave.

7 out of the last 10 people who got hired at our firm came from the Carolinas, where they either got laid off or simlpy decided to leave.

Orlando and FL in general are VERY transient places. Its awesome that you know some people who dont want to leave. Maybe they'll start a new trend.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM

Anyplace can be transient depending on the circumstances people relocated there. Most people come to Florida for what used to be a cheaper housing market and cheaper COL, not necessarily the case anymore. Years go by and without any real roots here people start to miss the food, culture, tradition, history, weather, etc etc etc of where they're from and many end up moving back. Or others come to find it's not what they think it is and leave again. But believe it or not there are people here who've been here a long time and actually miss this place when we leave. And there are some that just never leave.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM

Ppl come to FL because it doesnt snow or all their old neighbors did it, so for them its like being in NJ with no snow and palm trees. Or they come for the weather thinking they'll be at the beach everyday and its an easy life.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Ppl come to FL because it doesnt snow or all their old neighbors did it, so for them its like being in NJ with no snow and palm trees. Or they come for the weather thinking they'll be at the beach everyday and its an easy life.
Your thinking is very narrow minded.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Your thinking is very narrow minded.
This isnt an "every person moves here for this" its meant to be generic.

But part of it is very true. Ppl come here because of the weather / no snow, all their neighbors did it so its the thing to do, or they think they're gonna wake up and walk on the beach everyday. Sure, there are job transfers that occur, and people are born here, I understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando