Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 04:52 PM

108 posts, read 124,383 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Okay, well... I'm wondering if there is a Mexican area of Orlando? I do mean Mexican, people of Mexico.

I'm looking for comforts of home, food, music, etc. I'm from Southern California.

Now, without trying to sound like a jerk... I've only found two places in Orlando that offer the kind of Mexican food I'm used to. Both are taqueria's inside a conociera. So far, all the recommendations have been for, what I'd call, gringo Mexican food. Many of these places have been good, but different.

Again, please excuse me... but I've lived around Mexicans all my life, I miss them.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,977,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusMutation View Post
Hello,

Okay, well... I'm wondering if there is a Mexican area of Orlando? I do mean Mexican, people of Mexico.

I'm looking for comforts of home, food, music, etc. I'm from Southern California.

Now, without trying to sound like a jerk... I've only found two places in Orlando that offer the kind of Mexican food I'm used to. Both are taqueria's inside a conociera. So far, all the recommendations have been for, what I'd call, gringo Mexican food. Many of these places have been good, but different.

Again, please excuse me... but I've lived around Mexicans all my life, I miss them.

Thank you
VERY heavy concentrations in Sorrento and in Groveland/Mascotte, where you will most definitely find several tacquerias and carniecerias. It's not IN Orlando, but in the outlying suburbs not too far out.

And no, these aren't gringo Mexican (which I can't stand.)

In Groveland, I'm a fan of Tacos de Don Ramon.
In Sorrento, El Paso is extremely delicious. They make an AMAZING seafood soup.
There was a really good one in Eustis that had some awesome food as well, including fresh tortillas, fried pig skins, among other stuff, but the plaza is closed for renovation. I assume they'll reopen soon.

If you don't want to go that distance, try Los Girasoles (although not nearly as good as the two I mentioned) which is in Apopka off of 436.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:34 AM

108 posts, read 124,383 times
I'll check it all out...

Thank you!!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,287,506 times
I agree with Arcenal, there is a sizeable Mexican community in NW Orange county and Lake County. Along 441 between Apopka and Tavares you can find some authentic Mexican gems. There used to be a place right in town called Ameca Taqueria in downtown south that was really good authentic tacos (cheap too $1.25/taco) that was amazing but the original owners sold to another family and they have since gone under from what I understand. It's a shame, that place was good. I think they may have another location on OBT by the same name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando