Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 PM

66 posts, read 84,774 times

Advertisements

Recently bought a house in the Orlando area, and I keep hearing how wonderful Publix is. I went to one in Clermont last week, when I was in town checking on my house (having work done on it before we move down from IL). I was crunched for time and pretty much ran in and out, but my first impression was not anything special. Perhaps I just need more time to explore it, but I didn't think it compared at all to the Woodman's grocery store up here, where pretty much anything you could buy at the grocery is there, and the prices are better than the Jewel grocery.

So, next time I visit Publix, what should I look for that makes it the best grocery store in the Orlando area? And does it have a good international foods section, or are there other stores to check out for variety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
When I moved to Florida, I thought the same thing as you. I didn't find Publix to be anything special, just reminded me of Safeway or Albertsons. I was expecting maybe a lot of organic items or something unique. I spent a total of 7 years living in Florida, so I don't think you will one day think, "OH WOW, NOW I SEE!" lol. I never understood the hype.

When I moved to California, I heard all the hype about Trader Joes and I understood right away. I love Trader Joes and it is definitely different from the main stream grocery stores. Thankfully, Trader Joes is now in Orlando (Dr. Phillips and Winter Park). I like Trader Joes, Costco, Whole Foods and there are a couple small seafood markets in Orlando too.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I don't really get it either. I'm a Trader Joe's devotee, though, and will gladly sing its praises. Publix is just the best of the normal grocers here (although it basically has a monopoly here).

Old 10-09-2015, 01:10 AM

146 posts, read 238,370 times
two things: they are convenient and have new-ish stores. That's it really.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Compared to the other traditional grocers here like Winn-Dixie or Albertsons before they gave up on the state, Publix is the best grocer in the state. They've renovated my neighborhood store at least 3 times in the 9 years or so I've been here. It looks like nothing has changed in the neighborhood Winn-Dixie since it was built in the 1990s other than maybe upgrading the cash registers. (However, the few Winn-Dixie stores that have been renovated can give the flagship Publix stores in Winter Park and Dr. Phillips a run for their money. Unfortunately, WD just doesn't have the capital to accelerate that process like Publix.) Publix at one point toppled Kroger's #1 market share status in Atlanta, and are now going after Harris Teeter in NC, a recent Kroger acquisition very similar to Publix in aesthetics and price (perception). It also successfully defended itself against a huge Walmart ad campaign against them. So, while Publix won't appeal to everyone, it is a force in the market.

For me, the Publix stores are better looking and it's one of the only stores of any type that I know of that has multiple checkout lanes and ACTUALLY HAS MOST IF NOT ALL OF THEM OPEN DURING PEAK HOURS!!! They appeal to penny-pinchers with good sales and is usually the favorite store of coupon-bloggers based in the South despite its reputation of being the "more expensive store." They also adapt to the latest trends like natural/organic and expanded prepared foods depending on the neighborhood without totally turning into a Whole Foods. They tried to make copycat Whole Foods type stores called Greenwise, but their customers kept telling them they wanted their Coke, Tide, and Lucky Charms along with their organic produce, grassfed beef, and vitamins.

I go to different places depending on the week and am not fiercely loyal to one store. If cost wasn't an issue and there was one in my neighborhood, I'd probably be a loyal Fresh Market shopper.

When the masses wake up and read this, you'll discover that even your beloved Woodmans may not as great as you think it is. Hehe.

Last edited by boy3365; 10-09-2015 at 04:56 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 AM

230 posts, read 430,417 times
Unless they have changed in the last couple of years, they are the only major grocery store that I am aware of that does not force their customers to carry a so-called loyalty card or pay higher prices. I wish I had one close enough to me to make shopping there practical.

In Florida, just not being Winn-Dixie is enough.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Publix is wonderful for those that buy lots of processed/pre-packaged foods because they carry pretty much everything. Their produce section, "bakery" and organic offerings are pretty weak compared to places like Fresh Market, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (obviously). Thankfully those choices exist now for those who tend to look for organic or just better quality.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
I can't speak to the other Publix locations but at the one I shop, there must be 10-12 employees that know me by name and will stop to talk with me. I'm just a once-a-week shopper, there's nothing special about me, but that level of customer service goes a long way.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Publix subs are the best and their hot food is not bad either.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
The stores are clean and very well stocked. Produce always looks fresh and neatly arranged. I just about always buy the Publix generic of whatever I'm buying instead of name brands, and I've never seen a difference in quality from the name brands.

But for me, the greatest advantage that Publix has is customer service. There are always lots of employees working every time I go there, and if you can't find something, one of the employees will not only tell you where the item is located, he or she will walk there with you to make sure you can find what you're looking for.

All the employees are friendly, courteous, and patient.

If you need to return something they take it back no question.

They will carry your bags out to your car for you and will not accept a tip. Even though I'm perfectly capable of carrying out my own bags, I live in an urban area, so it's always nice to have someone go with me to the parking lot.

Customer service is good online too. You can order your sub online (and their subs are great) and just go pick it up. They send me the weekly ad by email (I don't get a newspaper), so I can check it out and make up my list based on sale items and BOGO items before I go to the store.

Back in the olden days, Publix was the only grocery chain near me that gave Green Stamps, but I guess that ship has sailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando