Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,828 times

Advertisements

Hi! Just registered for this board as I've been reading for a few days now and have found several topics really fascinating. As the topic says, I am a Puerto Rican readying to move to the Central Florida area in the coming weeks. Now, and please stay with me, I am not coming to Orlando to life off the system as so many other Puerto Ricans are doing (and damaging our name of course). I have a BA in Management of Information Systems, currently work as a high ranking executive in a local credit union (I am a CTO but I also develop and program applications ), and I am 26 years old. I considered several states, such as California, Texas, Virginia and Florida, but decided on Central Florida due to the climate, several high tech opportunities, close to beaches, little problem with a language barrier (although I don't have a problem with this as I am perfectly fluent in english, albeit with the accent of course!), and not that big of a cultural shock. So, why am I moving from PR if I am doing so well? Well, for starters I've probably reached the ceiling of what I can reach here in the island. Aditionally salaries are very, very low and taxes are ever increasing here with no hopes of getting better. Add to that rising utility costs, a decaying infrastructure that's falling in pieces, not many opportunities to grow, the crime where you cannot live without worrying about getting shot while hanging out at 11PM and... the "cacos" and reggaetton music. Really, I HATE that music, and the "cacos", which generally live off the system and bring crime, are oozing everywhere,. I know some have moved to C. Florida, obviously damaging our reputation as I said, so I am trying to keep as far away from them as possible so I am not even considering Kissimmee as a place to live.

Anyway, I have several questions and I hope someone would be nice enough to help me with this transition.

1) What are the nicest places to live in C.Florida? I am still in the process of applying for jobs from here and am hoping for replies sooner or later, but if needed I'll move over and stay at a friend's while applying. Still, I'd like to avoid shady places and want somewhere nice. I've read about Hunters Creek and others but I have no idea. My budget is around $1000, can be more or can be less, apartment or house not really a preference, and ideally two bedrooms. A/C is a must! Any good places I can rent for that budget?

2) As soon as I move, I understand I have to get the Florida license as that's used for identification almost anywhere. Am I right? Do I need to take classes to get the FL license?

3) Good places to hang out, where I can meet locals? I am traveling with my girlfriend so not looking for dating, but more about meeting new people and new experiences.

4) I don't know if anyone has experience with this, but transportation is a must. I know FL's mass transit is not good. Is it ideal for me to rent a car initially for a few weeks?

5) Is it better to apply from here (PR) to jobs or is it preferable for me to move over and apply from there?

6) Any areas to avoid?

7) Any other recommendation is truly welcome!

Thanks a lot for any replies someone can give me. Hopefully we will be neighbors in the coming weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:21 PM

105 posts, read 179,618 times
Anyway, I have several questions and I hope someone would be nice enough to help me with this transition.

1) What are the nicest places to live in C.Florida? I am still in the process of applying for jobs from here and am hoping for replies sooner or later, but if needed I'll move over and stay at a friend's while applying. Still, I'd like to avoid shady places and want somewhere nice. I've read about Hunters Creek and others but I have no idea. My budget is around $1000, can be more or can be less, apartment or house not really a preference, and ideally two bedrooms. A/C is a must! Any good places I can rent for that budget?
Looking at your budget of two bedrooms for $1000 I would look in the Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, and east Orlando areas. A one bedroom in Lake Mary is $1000.

2) As soon as I move, I understand I have to get the Florida license as that's used for identification almost anywhere. Am I right? Do I need to take classes to get the FL license?
Do you already have a license issued to you in PR? If not you will need to take a written and drivers test to obtain a Florida driver's license.

3) Good places to hang out, where I can meet locals? I am traveling with my girlfriend so not looking for dating, but more about meeting new people and new experiences.
The younger crowd like the downtown area on Orange avenue. The late 20's, 30's and up crowd prefer downtown south of Lake Eola, downtown Winter Park, and Colonial in Lake Mary.

4) I don't know if anyone has experience with this, but transportation is a must. I know FL's mass transit is not good. Is it ideal for me to rent a car initially for a few weeks?
If you live in Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, Maitland, Winter Park, Longwood you can take the SunRail to some of the IT start up companies in downtown Orlando. The Lynx bus system is often late and not a reliable form of transportation. If you use this option, plan to take the bus that would get you to work a half hour early.

5) Is it better to apply from here (PR) to jobs or is it preferable for me to move over and apply from there?
Both. However it is always better to have a job lined up before moving.

6) Any areas to avoid?
The areas that I'm about to list is just my personal opinion; Pine Hills, areas of Sanford near 17-92, Azalea Park, Rosemont, Metro West (to close to bad areas for the price of rent you will pay), Millenia near the mall (to close to bad areas for the price of rent you will pay). Again this is just my personal opinion.

Look at companies like AOK and Deloitte.

I hope this helps out.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relix View Post
Hi! Just registered for this board as I've been reading for a few days now and have found several topics really fascinating. As the topic says, I am a Puerto Rican readying to move to the Central Florida area in the coming weeks. Now, and please stay with me, I am not coming to Orlando to life off the system as so many other Puerto Ricans are doing (and damaging our name of course). I have a BA in Management of Information Systems, currently work as a high ranking executive in a local credit union (I am a CTO but I also develop and program applications ), and I am 26 years old. I considered several states, such as California, Texas, Virginia and Florida, but decided on Central Florida due to the climate, several high tech opportunities, close to beaches, little problem with a language barrier (although I don't have a problem with this as I am perfectly fluent in english, albeit with the accent of course!), and not that big of a cultural shock. So, why am I moving from PR if I am doing so well? Well, for starters I've probably reached the ceiling of what I can reach here in the island. Aditionally salaries are very, very low and taxes are ever increasing here with no hopes of getting better. Add to that rising utility costs, a decaying infrastructure that's falling in pieces, not many opportunities to grow, the crime where you cannot live without worrying about getting shot while hanging out at 11PM and... the "cacos" and reggaetton music. Really, I HATE that music, and the "cacos", which generally live off the system and bring crime, are oozing everywhere,. I know some have moved to C. Florida, obviously damaging our reputation as I said, so I am trying to keep as far away from them as possible so I am not even considering Kissimmee as a place to live.

6) Any areas to avoid?

Thanks a lot for any replies someone can give me. Hopefully we will be neighbors in the coming weeks.
Welcome to Orlando, I think you will enjoy it.

1) I think 99.9% of properties here have A/C, so I wouldn't worry about that lol. Your budget is a bit low, but I think you could find something good around Lake Mary. Some other areas that are nice are Dr. Phillips, Winter Park and Windermere, but these would be out of your budget, but maybe you'll like them so much you'll be okay with a 1 bedroom.

2) You're supposed to get one within 30 days. If you currently have a license in PR, then I believe you just need to setup an appointment and pass a written and driving test. Definitely check the DMV for required documents and make an appointment.

3) There are bars in the Downtown area. Check local events such as the farmers market around Lake Eola. However, most of the people you meet will be during daily life. Meetup.com is a popular website throughout the US. It's not online dating, it's basically normal people who create meetups, so there might be a hiking meetup, where they have hiking events, or there might be a social 20's and 30's meetup, where people in their 20s and 30s will do random things like go wake boarding and then next time go to a water park. Most of the people on these are new residents looking to meet people.

4) Yes, you need a car! Luckily, car rentals are pretty cheap in Orlando. You should book in weekly blocks because it usually is cheaper.

5) You could try both. It's better to have a job lined up, but it also would be difficult to do that, so most likely you won't get a job until you move here.

6) Pine Hills is the main one.

7) If you have any questions or concerns when you get here, feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:54 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
credit unions are GREAT but my opinion will do better if have a local address. There is a vast PR population in C-FL but try to land that job before making a final move it is no easy drive in traffic. you will need a car unless you move very close to that job. I would get a list of CU's and send them all a resume- and expected time of arrival however--- on my opinion-be ready to settle for a lesser job- CU are small and usually promote with in - smaller cu's use the CUNA systems and apps so just be prepared not to land your dream job right away.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:59 AM

Hi!

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. @tinytrump, not really looking to stay in a CU at the moment, I am looking for something more akin to a development/programming job as that's the part I most enjoy out of my work. I have a driver's license here in PR so I guess the process is simpler then. As for the rent budget, I am willing to nudge it up a bit if needed just for the peace of mind.

Any more replies are greatly welcome

Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. @tinytrump, not really looking to stay in a CU at the moment, I am looking for something more akin to a development/programming job as that's the part I most enjoy out of my work. I have a driver's license here in PR so I guess the process is simpler then. As for the rent budget, I am willing to nudge it up a bit if needed just for the peace of mind.

Any more replies are greatly welcome
well good luck to your future! I got a crappy job when moved to Tampa and landed me the job of my dreams and one to retire on-
so stay humble get what you can and keep looking until you find it

Oh my son in Miami gave up is car - saving for a house- and when it rains he uses UBER to get to work- He has a motorcycle- but UBER might help you out here as well- and out of town travel the Mega bus--

Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
well good luck to your future! I got a crappy job when moved to Tampa and landed me the job of my dreams and one to retire on-
so stay humble get what you can and keep looking until you find it

Oh my son in Miami gave up is car - saving for a house- and when it rains he uses UBER to get to work- He has a motorcycle- but UBER might help you out here as well- and out of town travel the Mega bus--
Oh absolutely, I am not expecting to get such a position in my move. I am slowly applying, let's see who wants me

The UBER tip is fantastic, I will consider it just in case.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:56 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Why would anyone move to to Orlando if they want to get away from low pay jobs, reggaeton, and "cacos"? That is Orlando these days.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
Why would anyone move to to Orlando if they want to get away from low pay jobs, reggaeton, and "cacos"? That is Orlando these days.
That bad huh? Still, let me tell you it's a much bigger upgrade than the current state of the island trust me. I was in Orlando the first week of October and didn't see even a fifth of the stuff I see here, so that much is good. Anyway, I am already applying to several positions. Found one in Ocala but declined the offer as I felt it was too far from what I wanted even if the pay was excellent. Hopefully I find somewhere nice to work for soon, I am eager to make the move.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
That bad huh? Still, let me tell you it's a much bigger upgrade than the current state of the island trust me. I was in Orlando the first week of October and didn't see even a fifth of the stuff I see here, so that much is good. Anyway, I am already applying to several positions. Found one in Ocala but declined the offer as I felt it was too far from what I wanted even if the pay was excellent. Hopefully I find somewhere nice to work for soon, I am eager to make the move.
You might want to ignore Joey, or just look up his previous threads/comments. He hates Puerto Ricans and later came out apologizing because he said his GF made him take her on a vacation there and he spent all $20 of his life savings while there, which is why he hates Puerto Ricans. He sometimes offers good entertainment value, but I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando