Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:33 PM

24,348 posts, read 26,782,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree. Having always lived in a major city Orlando will seem kind of bush league after a couple months once you've experienced everything and realize "that's it". It will boil down to knowing whether the trade-off is the worth the salary or choosing quality of life over the salary. Only you can make that decision.
I don't agree with this.

I've spent a lot of time living in San Francisco and travel a lot to major cities like Hong Kong, Seoul, Bangkok. I love big cities. There is a big rivalry between SF and LA. A lot of people here tend to think LA is just a boring suburban wasteland. I disagree with them, but San Francisco is pretty smug to begin with lol.

My point is it's not clear whether the quality of life will be better or worse for him until he tries it. I personally find Orlando to offer a better quality of life than San Francisco and not just because of the price.

$80,000 in LA isn't a lot of money, while $140,000 in Orlando is a ton of money. The OP could actually buy a nice home, have a boat, afford a nice car, and still go to bars, shopping, restaurants. However, night life will not even come close to LA's nightlife scene. However, you still have bars, pubs and clubs in Orlando. He could easily spend a weekend in Miami, where the night life is great and on par with LA in my opinion.

A $140,000 job offer is worth it to move in my opinion. It would easily allow him to move back if he ends up hating it and he would still walk away with a ton in savings, so it wouldn't be a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM

26,970 posts, read 43,486,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't agree with this.

I've spent a lot of time living in San Francisco and travel a lot to major cities like Hong Kong, Seoul, Bangkok. I love big cities. There is a big rivalry between SF and LA. A lot of people here tend to think LA is just a boring suburban wasteland. I disagree with them, but San Francisco is pretty smug to begin with lol.

My point is it's not clear whether the quality of life will be better or worse for him until he tries it. I personally find Orlando to offer a better quality of life than San Francisco and not just because of the price.

$80,000 in LA isn't a lot of money, while $140,000 in Orlando is a ton of money. The OP could actually buy a nice home, have a boat, afford a nice car, and still go to bars, shopping, restaurants. However, night life will not even come close to LA's nightlife scene. However, you still have bars, pubs and clubs in Orlando. He could easily spend a weekend in Miami, where the night life is great and on par with LA in my opinion.

A $140,000 job offer is worth it to move in my opinion. It would easily allow him to move back if he ends up hating it and he would still walk away with a ton in savings, so it wouldn't be a waste of time.
140K could be a lot of money in Orlando but it doesn't have the amenities that cities like San Francisco have so the quality of life trade-off is truly the price and important to point out to someone moving from a city like San Francisco. We don't remotely have anywhere near the restaurant/food scene, nightlife, sports scene or culture and if that's not a sticking point one can be absolutely fine here. The definition of "quality of life" varies from person to person and to suggest since you're smitten with life in Orlando every one who has lived in San Francisco (or similar) will be too, is completely off the mark and a tinge irresponsible in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
140K could be a lot of money in Orlando but it doesn't have the amenities that cities like San Francisco have so the quality of life trade-off is truly the price and important to point out to someone moving from a city like San Francisco. We don't remotely have anywhere near the restaurant/food scene, nightlife, sports scene or culture and if that's not a sticking point one can be absolutely fine here. The definition of "quality of life" varies from person to person and to suggest since you're smitten with life in Orlando every one who has lived in San Francisco (or similar) will be too, is completely off the mark and a tinge irresponsible in my opinion.
Kyle you haven't lived in these cities you put up on pedestals, I LIVE here and have lived THERE. And while a city like SF or LA has more museums, it also has more trash, homeless, poverty, traffic etc. What determines a good quality of life varies per person, which is why I said he MAY OR MAY NOT find the quality of life higher in Orlando, so he might as well give it a try since either way he will come out with a ton of money, where as you simply said, the quality of life is less than Los Angeles. That is "completely off the mark and a tinge irresponsible" because I find the quality of life better in Orlando and I live in San Francisco and am used to big cities in general. Likewise, there are people I'm sure who view the quality of life in San Francisco better, it varies per person and for you to say, "You will make more here but you will lose quality of life" is completely naive and "grass must be greener on the otherside" lol. Los Angeles is a very big sprawl, so depending where in LA makes a big difference too. There are towns in the LA area that would make Orlando seem like a hot spot and vice versa. It's different than someone living in NYC saying they love it. Bottom line, you still need a car in LA, so it's not like he would go from walking to work, bars, restaurants, shops etc to now buying a car and having to get used to driving to work etc. In favt, the drive to go out to bars, work, shops would most likely be a lot less time consuming in Orlando. With all that being said, a simple trip to Orlando would clear things up. My point is quality of life is subjective and for some SF would offer higher quality and for others Orlando would offer a higher quality, it isn't black and white like you fantasize about.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 10-30-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 02:47 PM

26,970 posts, read 43,486,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Kyle you haven't lived in these cities you put up on pedestals, I LIVE here and have lived THERE. And while a city like SF or LA has more museums, it also has more trash, homeless, poverty, traffic etc. What determines a good quality of life varies per person, which is why I said he MAY OR MAY NOT find the quality of life higher in Orlando, so he might as well give it a try since either way he will come out with a ton of money, where as you simply said, the quality of life is less than Los Angeles. That is "completely off the mark and a tinge irresponsible" because I find the quality of life better in Orlando and I live in San Francisco and am used to big cities in general. Likewise, there are people I'm sure who view the quality of life in San Francisco better, it varies per person and for you to say, "You will make more here but you will lose quality of life" is completely naive and "grass must be greener on the otherside" lol. Los Angeles is a very big sprawl, so depending where in LA makes a big difference too. There are towns in the LA area that would make Orlando seem like a hot spot and vice versa. It's different than someone living in NYC saying they love it. Bottom line, you still need a car in LA, so it's not like he would go from walking to work, bars, restaurants, shops etc to now buying a car and having to get used to driving to work etc. In favt, the drive to go out to bars, work, shops would most likely be a lot less time consuming in Orlando. With all that being said, a simple trip to Orlando would clear things up. My point is quality of life is subjective and for some SF would offer higher quality and for others Orlando would offer a higher quality, it isn't black and white like you fantasize about.
I've lived in Washington DC, Philadelphia and NYC so I do truly get the difference between an urban environment versus the suburban sprawl version we have here. I didn't express any fantasies about one city or the other and simply stated as you ultimately did that quality of life is subjective and only the OP will know what's right for them.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:59 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,857,914 times
Management Consulting is very hard to get into. Orlando isnt exactly known for these jobs, but I'd say go for it, for $140k.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Washington DC, Philadelphia and NYC so I do truly get the difference between an urban environment versus the suburban sprawl version we have here. I didn't express any fantasies about one city or the other and simply stated as you ultimately did that quality of life is subjective and only the OP will know what's right for them.
lol well glad we are on the same page now but you said the quality of life would be the trade off for moving to Orlando, I said it is subjective. LA is the opposite of an urban city though.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:40 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,579,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alifarooqui9723 View Post
So, I'm currently a Management consultant in Los Angeles making about 80k a year , single, 25 and living very comfortably. I have always lived in Big cities. I was raised in San Francisco and did my Undergrad in NYC

Recently I have been offered a position at a firm in Orlando making just over 140k. Now the offer is really good and considering the cheap cost of living in Florida,140k will go pretty far. The only problem is I have lived in Large cities my entire life and I don't know if I will like it In Orlando, I live a pretty typical life for someone in their 20's here in LA (go out with my friends every weekend, date , here in LA and there's always something to do. I'm worried there won't be a social scene here. I also love trying restaurants, day trips (here its Vegas, Tijuana, etc.) I'm just wondering if the offer is worth it to move to an environment I've never lived in. And is Orlando a place someone from LA/SF/NYC could enjoy ??

Thanks !
You are about to double your salary so at 25 years of age why not? Save your money while you are in Orlando as long as you can stand BORElando.

The city and metro is great if you are into the suburban lifestyle and have kids otherwise being single with a good paying job Orlando will bore you in about 6 months of living here. Unless you are in love with living near theme parks and enjoy endless sprawl Orlando is not the place for you.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:44 PM

Lets see if the OP even posts back. I'm guessing not.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Lets see if the OP even posts back. I'm guessing not.
I'm curious to know what kind of job because $140k in Orlando is like a $200k job in LA, I've just never heard almost double your income by moving from California to Florida from a job lol, almost too good to be true. If anything it should be the opposite haha.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:55 PM

its management consulting. at one point i was very interested in it while in college. but working 100 hrs a week wasnt worth it, plus you basically have to come from an Ivy League school to get in.

i find this thread just a tad bit odd. the OP capitalized "city" both times and capitalized "management" but not "consulting" in his post. everyone makes mistakes, its not a big deal at all.

not saying the OP is making this up, it just caught my eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando