Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM

149 posts, read 145,018 times

Advertisements

Hi! Are there any Catholic or private schools in Seminole County? If so, are they any better than public schools? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:13 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Trinity Prep, St. Mary Magdelen, Anunciation, are the ones I can think of. Personally I think at the high school level many Seminole County High Schools are just as good as private schools, especially if your kids are in the honors, AP or IB programs.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,652 times
Where in Seminole county are you, and what grade? There are a few good options in north Orange County. Much better than public in my opinion, although you will have some (incorrect) differing opinions.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Trinity Prep is great, I have a good buddy who just graduated from there and loved it.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Trinity Prep, St. Mary Magdelen, Anunciation, are the ones I can think of. Personally I think at the high school level many Seminole County High Schools are just as good as private schools, especially if your kids are in the honors, AP or IB programs.
I agree. Even at the elementary level county school systems offer more programs than the private and church schools do sometime. I know not all the local church schools offer the special classes for struggling kids. When I was teaching we would get kids from the near by church school because they could not meet the needs for their disability or learning challenged student.
Private and church schools can handle behavior problems differently than public, too, because if your child causes stress or problems in the classroom, they can be asked to find another school and you lose the spot.
The other thing you have to check out is the discipline policies. Sometimes you hear that children are disciplined more harshly in the private church schools and some still spank.
Ask about the teacher qualifications and the programs they use to teach, too.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:31 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
^^^ This.

With the International Baccalaureate Program or Academy of Health Careers at Seminole HS, the Information Technology Program at Crooms, Engineering Magnet Program at Lyman HS, Bio-Science Program at Oviedo HS, Institute of Finance at Lake Brantley HS or the Entrepreneurship Program at Lake Howell HS there are many advanced options. Typically the only reason for private school attendance in this excellent school district is via religious beliefs or unfortunately via racial/economic bias as a few of the top performing schools/programs are in environments with a somewhat high number of Black and economically disadvantaged students (i.e. free lunch). I'm sure I'll take flak for that but as a Sanford resident I have seen it consistently in a district that overlaps with Lake Mary, despite nationally ranked schools like Seminole HS and Crooms (Newsweek and US News) that yet manage to do so with a very diverse student body.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:50 AM

995 posts, read 1,694,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
^^^ This.

With the International Baccalaureate Program or Academy of Health Careers at Seminole HS, the Information Technology Program at Crooms, Engineering Magnet Program at Lyman HS, Bio-Science Program at Oviedo HS, Institute of Finance at Lake Brantley HS or the Entrepreneurship Program at Lake Howell HS there are many advanced options. Typically the only reason for private school attendance in this excellent school district is via religious beliefs or unfortunately via racial/economic bias as a few of the top performing schools/programs are in environments with a somewhat high number of Black and economically disadvantaged students (i.e. free lunch). I'm sure I'll take flak for that but as a Sanford resident I have seen it consistently in a district that overlaps with Lake Mary, despite nationally ranked schools like Seminole HS and Crooms (Newsweek and US News) that yet manage to do so with a very diverse student body.
This is a very common misconception among those who can not afford private school.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
This is a very common misconception among those who can not afford private school.
How so if the academic deficiencies aren't on the table?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:54 PM

149 posts, read 145,018 times
We might be relocating from NY, and I haven't heard great things about the FL school system
( sorry), so was looking to see if Cath. or Private school would be more beneficial.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
We might be relocating from NY, and I haven't heard great things about the FL school system
( sorry), so was looking to see if Cath. or Private school would be more beneficial.
Florida for all of it's poor reputation for schools is remarkably close to New York when it comes to the above average students. If your children are above average in terms of intellect, disciplined academically and have your involvement as a parent they should be fine. Otherwise private school would probably be best.

Florida AP classes: Florida ranks fourth in AP Advanced Placement class success - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando