Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 01:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
Up until recently we had used Uber a few times, but every time we used them from our house and to the airport. Living near the Independence / Winter Garden area, the fares were about $ 40-50 for Uber versus $ 70-85 for a Mears Taxi. On our recent travels, we used Uber to go to the airport and the above held true.

We decided to try to use Uber to pick us up at the airport and bring us back home. They ended up charging us $ 130.91 for the trip from the airport and back home. We did not know this until we got the email after the driver left. I know that looking back we should have noticed that the Uber App did not give us an estimated fare cost (it had done this for all of the other trips). I also know that we should have asked the driver what the cost is in advance.

We will probably continue to use Uber for trips to the airport but never again while at the Orlando Airport. We just wanted to give people a heads up and open a discussion thread in case anyone else had any feedback on this rather large one-way charge.

****COPY/PASTE OF EMAIL BELOW********
FARE BREAKDOWN
Base Fare 7.00
Distance 86.08
Time 23.08
Subtotal $116.16
SR 91 (FL Turnpike) - Orlando South NB ON Toll (?) 1.00
SR 528 (Beachline Expressway) - Airport Mainline Plaza Toll (?) 1.25
SR 429 (Western Beltway) - Independence Mainline Plaza Toll (?) 1.50
SR 528 (FL Turnpike) - Beachline West Mainline Plaza Toll (?) 1.00
MCO Airport Surcharge NB (?) 10.00
CHARGED $130.91
UberBlack requires drivers to deal with TLC licensing and fees atop that.
When they have to play the same regulations as Taxis unfortunately the savings become lost.

It should have been a very nice Vehicle at least for your drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I recently priced Uber to/from the airport out of Seminole County. The "regular" Uber was quoting $40-$50 each way, while parking in the covered terminal-access garage at OIA is $17 a day. Unless out of town for around five days or more it doesn't seem worth it from this area/distance. I definitely utilize it when out of town in big cities like NYC, DC or SF where it's really a good deal versus cabs though.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:41 PM

220 posts, read 418,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
UberBlack is their premium luxury vehicle service. UberX is your average Joe. UberX Pool is the same as UberX, but you might share your ride with other passengers (cheapest option), but I don't think it's available in Orlando yet. UberXL is are large capacity vehicles for people with a lot of luggage.
Good information and thanks for sharing. Here is what we have found so far:

Regular Uber is about half the cost of a taxi to the airport from our house.

UberXL (we took this one time on a trip with lots of luggage) is about 20% cheaper then a taxi.

UberBLACK is way more expensive than anything.

No big deal and we simply learned a lesson about how to use Uber. And by the way the uberBLACK car was OK but not $ 130 for one ride nice :-)

Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I didn't read through all of the replies, so perhaps someone else already addressed this. I recently looked into this when making my arrangements for Thanksgiving travel.

UberX is the service that most people know. However, while they can drop people off at the airport, they cannot pick people up from the airport.

Uber Black, which is their premium service, is the only Uber entity authorized to pick up people from the airport. They have all of the licensing, insurance and such that the local government requires of taxis and other shuttles at the airport. So, whether you're taking them from the airport to Windermere or Uber Black from a Magic Game to Windermere, you're in for an expensive trip.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
Nevermind formatting wrong on my phone...

Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
Good information and thanks for sharing. Here is what we have found so far:

Regular Uber is about half the cost of a taxi to the airport from our house.

UberXL (we took this one time on a trip with lots of luggage) is about 20% cheaper then a taxi.

UberBLACK is way more expensive than anything.

No big deal and we simply learned a lesson about how to use Uber. And by the way the uberBLACK car was OK but not $ 130 for one ride nice :-)
Yep, exactly haha. I've never taken UberBLACK before, but I believe you it wasn't worth $130 lol, maybe if it was a Hummer Stretch Limo.

Hopefully we get UberX Pool soon. I was actually surprised it wasn't here, I thought every city had it. It's usually around half the price of UberX and most of the time, I'm the only passenger. The drivers get paid the same fare, so they don't care either whether they have 1 or 2 different passengers.

You should also try Lyft. Lyft generally speaking is a better experience than Uber. They are a bit more selective with their drivers, so their drivers are usually more animated/personable and I find their cars to be slightly better. I've probably used Uber and Lyft over 100 times easily. The price is pretty much the same and they have an XL version, normal version and a shared ride version (but the shared ride version also isn't available in Orlando yet).

Old 11-30-2015, 06:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I recently priced Uber to/from the airport out of Seminole County. The "regular" Uber was quoting $40-$50 each way, while parking in the covered terminal-access garage at OIA is $17 a day. Unless out of town for around five days or more it doesn't seem worth it from this area/distance. I definitely utilize it when out of town in big cities like NYC, DC or SF where it's really a good deal versus cabs though.
You're calculation ignores gas, tolls, time etc.

I generally park off-site for $5-7/day including fees

Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,397,581 times
Watch out for Uber drivers too. Perfect scam, for someone to be robbed, or worse. How do you know who's driving you? Do they do any checks on these people.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You're calculation ignores gas, tolls, time etc.

I generally park off-site for $5-7/day including fees
True there is gas and tolls but the point being given the control over the situation versus a third party who may or may not arrive on time and take longer to get there, I'd rather not add that stress level to an already stressful time packing/getting out the door on time/etc. The off-site parking situation is similar with adding a good chunk of time to an already lengthy commute and the unknown of how long will the shuttle take to get me to the airport. I also tend to take early morning flights (8am-ish) so as is minus adding another link to the process I leave a bit before 6am.

If it were substantially cheaper I would consider it, but not for so little difference as is.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:00 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
True there is gas and tolls but the point being given the control over the situation versus a third party who may or may not arrive on time and take longer to get there, I'd rather not add that stress level to an already stressful time packing/getting out the door on time/etc. The off-site parking situation is similar with adding a good chunk of time to an already lengthy commute and the unknown of how long will the shuttle take to get me to the airport. I also tend to take early morning flights (8am-ish) so as is minus adding another link to the process I leave a bit before 6am.

If it were substantially cheaper I would consider it, but not for so little difference as is.
The renaissance hotel off 436 is what I use. They are literally 5 mins from MCO and run shuttles frequently. I agree regarding the offsite lots further from MCO near Narcosee, McCoy Rd etc. If I'm flying on the company dime, I pay $18/day to park at MCO On my own though for more than a few days, the savings at an offsite lot add up IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando