Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:53 PM

17 posts, read 20,597 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are considering moving to the Orlando area. We have two boys -6 and 7 - so are looking for areas that have low crime and good schools. My husband and I both work from home so we don't need to worry about finding a job. In NH we live in a town with about 40k people. My kids can play outside and we can walk around without any fears.

I went to Stetson University (a LONG time ago ☺️) and have also lived in Brandon and Tarpon Springs. This was all pre-kids...and about 15 years ago... So I know things area probably a lot different.

I was hopping to get some input on areas where we could find a 3/4 bedroom house (preferably with pool) for less than $2,000. We want family friendly areas with things to do with the kiddos. I like running so I would like to know I could go running in the evening by myself without too much worry.

I know this is pretty vague. This is my first time posting on this forum. Please feel free to ask any questions needed to help with an answer.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I would recommend the Lake Howell area. Since commuting is not an issue you will find great values here, it doesn't work for everyone because it's not as easily accessible to the major highways and expressways but that won't be an issue for you. The schools are fairly strong in this area, it's safe and family friendly. Other areas might be Clermont, Wekiva, and parts of Lake Mary.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Dr. Phillips and Windermere are good choices for you as well. Great communities with great schools.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I'd recommend Dr Phillips

Old 12-08-2015, 07:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I like Dr. Phillips as well but not sure itll come in within the budget.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would recommend the Lake Howell area. Since commuting is not an issue you will find great values here, it doesn't work for everyone because it's not as easily accessible to the major highways and expressways but that won't be an issue for you. The schools are fairly strong in this area, it's safe and family friendly. Other areas might be Clermont, Wekiva, and parts of Lake Mary.
I agree regarding Casselberry/Lake Howell as well as maybe Tuscawilla just to the east (which like Dr Phillips and Windermere) is probably out of your budget given your criteria. The Lake Howell school district seems oddly overlooked with all "A" rated schools if I'm not mistaken and is safe/family friendly with easy access to Winter Park's nice amenities in terms of grocery stores/shops/restaurants.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 AM

17 posts, read 20,597 times
I'm having a hard time finding much on lake Howell. Excuse my ignorance... But is it a town? Or is it a neighborhood inside a different town?

I know these towns are a little further away but does anyone have any input on living in DeLand, Deltona,Debary or Orange City?

Or on the other side of Orlando..Davenport?

I hear a lot of great things about Windermere and Dr. Phillips. I have a couple friends who live in Windermere. If I can find something under $2000 I would definitely love to be there but all the houses seem to be $3k plus!!

I'm also confused by all of the "winter something" towns in the vicinity lol. Winter Park, Winter Springs and Winter Haven. Any input on those places?

So.. This will probably seem like silly questions but I have to ask anyways.

I know there are a lot of bugs (poisonous and not) on FL. I'm assuming there are pest control companies that can spray inside and outside with stuff that is safe for kids and pets? Does that help? So we can actually go outside in our yard without being killed lol?

For those who don't have houses with pools or community pools where do you swim? I know there's alligators everywhere. Is there any safe swimming areas?

Old 12-11-2015, 04:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessan357 View Post
I'm having a hard time finding much on lake Howell. Excuse my ignorance... But is it a town? Or is it a neighborhood inside a different town?

I know these towns are a little further away but does anyone have any input on living in DeLand, Deltona,Debary or Orange City?

Or on the other side of Orlando..Davenport?

I hear a lot of great things about Windermere and Dr. Phillips. I have a couple friends who live in Windermere. If I can find something under $2000 I would definitely love to be there but all the houses seem to be $3k plus!!

I'm also confused by all of the "winter something" towns in the vicinity lol. Winter Park, Winter Springs and Winter Haven. Any input on those places?

So.. This will probably seem like silly questions but I have to ask anyways.

I know there are a lot of bugs (poisonous and not) on FL. I'm assuming there are pest control companies that can spray inside and outside with stuff that is safe for kids and pets? Does that help? So we can actually go outside in our yard without being killed lol?

For those who don't have houses with pools or community pools where do you swim? I know there's alligators everywhere. Is there any safe swimming areas?
In terms of the small towns in the surrounding areas (Davenport, Deland, Deltona, etc.), I'd generally recommend to steer away from these areas as they're not in the best school districts and are kind of in the "boonies".

As for the Winter towns, Winter Park is one of the nicest areas in Orlando and has one of the best school districts. However the better parts are going to be similar to Dr. Phillips and Windermere in terms of price. Winter Springs is nice as are parts of Winter Garden. Winter Haven is a small town way outside of Orlando in Polk County which has pretty bad schools. I wouldn't recommend that town, personally.

As for pest control- yes, you can hire people to spray your homes and lawns. I'm not familiar with anything poisonous other than spiders and snakes. Of course you can go out into your lawn safely. Just be aware of your surroundings.

As for pools, most local YMCA's have them (you'd have to pay for membership). The safest natural place to swim would be at the local springs (Wekiva Springs, Rock Springs, Blue Springs).. entry is usually only a few bucks and the springs are gorgeous but the water is cold. Gators tend to stay away from there because of the cool temps and the noise from people.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 14,027 times
What area in NH are you from? I grew up in Mass and lived in NH for a little while. I feel a lot of people are moving down to FL from up there.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:05 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times
Lake Mary, Clermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando