Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala View Post
We're kind of obsessed with Disney and Harry Potter. I've been going pretty much yearly for 8 years, and 16 years in a row during my childhood. sooo.. maybe not?
My GF and I are also obsessed with Disney. I'm okay with Harry Potter, but I love theme parks in general. I live in Dr. Phillips (not sure if I mentioned this before) and we get a direct view across our lake of Universal fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Try looking in Spring Oaks neighborhood off of Montgomery Road in Altamonte Springs. It's a fairly large neighborhood with varying mid 70's build homes. You can easily find an updated home here with a pool for under $300k. Great school district in case you decide to use them. Uptown Altamonte, Crane's Roost Park and Maitland Town Center are all nearby. With the completion of 429 you can also get to Disney fairly easily, although you won't be watching nightly fireworks. However once a a year on July 3rd you can walk to Crane's Roost for the Red Hot and Boom celebration or may be able just to climb on your roof and watch from there.

Other areas that may meet your requirements are Colonialtowne South, Lake Como, Lake Cherokee, Conway, Casselberry and Maitland.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Altamonte Springs has lots of 1960s ranch homes, quite a few have pools. Seminole County schools are rated better. Its convenient to Dowtown Orlando and there the Sunrail has stations. You mentioned your husband is in Sales, I know people in sales and many companies seem to have Orlando/Jacksonville combined territory, Tampa Bay seems to get its own territory for most companies. So if he is covering Central and North Florida, being in north Orlando would be easier for him.

Another area to consider is Sanford, its a bit farther out, but you could easily get on 417 or soon 429 and get to Disney. Sanford has a decent downtown, and the Sanford Airport is convenient as well.

Even if you love the theme parks it can be tedious having hordes of tourists driving around, getting lost, not knowing where they are going, used to driving on the "wrong" side( UK tourists). And no matter how much you love the parks you wont be going everyday. If I were to move back to Orlando I would try and be in Seminole County. It is more "normal" but still close to theme parks.

Without the theme parks, Orlando is like other sunbelt cities such as Charlotte, Atlanta etc. There are a lot of people from NJ( and other places). It seems you prepared for the vacation experience and living experience being different. There are a lot of really cool places in Florida beyond the theme parks, I highly recommend visiting some of the Springs in the summer, Wekiva Springs in right there in Apopka, but just north of Orlando there are sever springs in the Ocala National Forest, good nature experience too. Obviously the beaches, in Orlando you are not too far from either the Gulf or Atlantic.

Now if your husband ends up based out of Tampa area, that still not far from the theme parks so take that into consideration. I am not as familiar with Tampa as Orlando or Jacksonville. I grew up in NJ but i am many generation Floridian on my moms side. Most areas of Florida have something to offer, you just have to find the right place for you any your family.

Good luck on your search, I hope Florida works out well for you

Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Even if you love the theme parks it can be tedious having hordes of tourists driving around, getting lost, not knowing where they are going, used to driving on the "wrong" side( UK tourists). And no matter how much you love the parks you wont be going everyday. If I were to move back to Orlando I would try and be in Seminole County. It is more "normal" but still close to theme parks.

Without the theme parks, Orlando is like other sunbelt cities such as Charlotte, Atlanta etc. There are a lot of people from NJ( and other places). It seems you prepared for the vacation experience and living experience being different. There are a lot of really cool places in Florida beyond the theme parks, I highly recommend visiting some of the Springs in the summer, Wekiva Springs in right there in Apopka, but just north of Orlando there are sever springs in the Ocala National Forest, good nature experience too. Obviously the beaches, in Orlando you are not too far from either the Gulf or Atlantic.

Good luck on your search, I hope Florida works out well for you
Yes, this 100%. You will thank yourself for living further away from the tourists corridor. It's bearable when your on vacation, but when you live here with daily needs and demands the last thing you want is to be stuck in tourist traffic. Plus it may even enhance your experience when visiting the theme parks as you'll be far enough removed from that when you do go, it will feel your on vacation again.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Yes, this 100%. You will thank yourself for living further away from the tourists corridor. It's bearable when your on vacation, but when you live here with daily needs and demands the last thing you want is to be stuck in tourist traffic. Plus it may even enhance your experience when visiting the theme parks as you'll be far enough removed from that when you do go, it will feel your on vacation again.
I agree to an extent, but I would still consider Dr. Philips and Windermere as options. While they're close to the tourist corridor, they don't have much tourist traffic going through them.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree to an extent, but I would still consider Dr. Philips and Windermere as options. While they're close to the tourist corridor, they don't have much tourist traffic going through them.
Yes I agree Arsenal but the OP is looking for an older smaller ranch home under $300k. DP and Windermere probably wouldn't work. Only area actually in that part of town I can think of that meets that criteria are Williamsburg but I don't know about the schools.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
So many choices so little time. You've gotten alot of good suggestions here. I'd advise trying to plan your daily trips in advance to make the most use of your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando