Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Many years ago, I was told by an old Floridian, "The safest thing is to assume that any body of water in Florida that is bigger than a rain puddle has at least one gator in it."
I was told the same thing. The bigger the body of water the more gators you will find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
well O-town is has more a prob with crime than gators. They will shove a gun in your face, cut your throat, carjack your vehicle, and leave you for dead here.

To be safe don't open your door to anyone u don't know here, day or night. Use Lojack, security systems for home. Do not use ATM at night.
Please provide a link to a news story wherein:
1. A person had a gun shoved in their face.
2. A person who had their throat cut.
3. Someone left for dead.

Dont include any that took place indoors.

Cars get stolen everywhere and have been since they were first put on the road.

LoJack would be a good investment anywhere.

Security systems for home are a good deterrent and they provide 24 hour smoke/fire protection. Great for peace of mind providing you have a plan for when it goes off in the middle of night.

Not using an ATM anywhere in the world would be a good idea.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Check the stats on gator attacks on people - they are very rare - despite their intimidating appearance.

Your danger is much greater driving to the grocery store.

Yep. They dont get aggressive until you get close to their abode especially when there are baby gators there or chase at them. Ive canoed on several rivers and lakes in FL and have seen many gators catching some rays on a river bank and many just hanging out in the water. Ive never seen one approaching people, even those people swimming nearby. I have seen them leave when people show up though.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We are more concerned down here with pythons. They show up in yards. Close to preserves, you will have to deal with bears. Coyotes roam the entire area, love small dogs and cats for lunch.

We put up a 6' wood fence, but still have had critters try to dig in. But also, our pups are mighty hunters. We came home to find one of the pups had killed a 2-3' black snake, and had brought it into the house. We come home to see the snake in the living room floor, the pup happily setting by it, wagging her tail. "See what I brought you?" Ugh.

There is just a lot of wildlife down here, you just get used to it.
Our cats like to catch things to bring home. Yep, its a jungle out there.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Our cats like to catch things to bring home. Yep, its a jungle out there.
Our cats do the same thing. Lol. I was doing laundry one day in the garage only to find a large snake head in front of the dryer... Cat followed me into the garage and sat by it, looking at me proudly.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Depends where you live.
Gators main habitats are around lakes so if you have a lake in your backyard you will be more likely to see gators.
This
It's not so much that they're in your backyard.
You're in their backyard

Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
I see them pretty much everytime I go for a jog. They're pretty chill and don't do much, not do they seem to mind me. On the other hand, sand cranes and wild geese are more worrisome and MUCH more aggressive.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:25 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
the OP did not come back??

Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
I have been in Florida going on eight years now. When we first moved out here, we lived in a house that a lake in the back. There was a resident gator who would come out frequently to sun himself. He was just a small guy-maybe five feet or so. The house we moved to has no lake, and now we rarely see them.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
Oh, and welcome to Orlando! I noticed you are moving from Encinitas, which is close to my hometown! I actually like Florida better than I did California. I'm sure you'll adjust just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando