Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times

Advertisements

Would anyone happen to know where I could buy comfortable wide or even WW width shoes in the Orlando area.

A google search has turned up Behr's Shoe's on N. Orange Ave. as a possibility, but I can't seem to get an active phone number for them. Are they out of business?

I also found "Good Feet" which supposedly does custom fitting. However, the reviews I saw on-line were pretty wretched; not true custom fitting; hugely expensive ($800/pair); no return policy, etc.

The search also turned up many, many on-line specialty shoe stores. But I really need to be able to try on multiple shoes in person. The wide width is very important and difficult to find. But I also suffer from a Morton's neuroma, which means I also need a shoe that really fits well (i.e. not too wide either) and has a stiff sole, arch support, a wide and deep toe box, etc. If I try to buy on-line, I'm afraid that I'll spend weeks trying out shoes and then sending them back. Just not very efficient.

I'd be willing to travel up to a few hours for a really good pair at this point, so Tampa-St. Petersburg, maybe even Miami would be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 AM

22 posts, read 21,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Would anyone happen to know where I could buy comfortable wide or even WW width shoes in the Orlando area.

A google search has turned up Behr's Shoe's on N. Orange Ave. as a possibility, but I can't seem to get an active phone number for them. Are they out of business?

I also found "Good Feet" which supposedly does custom fitting. However, the reviews I saw on-line were pretty wretched; not true custom fitting; hugely expensive ($800/pair); no return policy, etc.

The search also turned up many, many on-line specialty shoe stores. But I really need to be able to try on multiple shoes in person. The wide width is very important and difficult to find. But I also suffer from a Morton's neuroma, which means I also need a shoe that really fits well (i.e. not too wide either) and has a stiff sole, arch support, a wide and deep toe box, etc. If I try to buy on-line, I'm afraid that I'll spend weeks trying out shoes and then sending them back. Just not very efficient.

I'd be willing to travel up to a few hours for a really good pair at this point, so Tampa-St. Petersburg, maybe even Miami would be OK.

Zappos online offers free shipping both ways. After my husband started having trouble with his feet I ordered multiple pairs of shoes from them. We kept the pair that felt the best and returned the others. The free returns was so easy.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:20 PM

82 posts, read 154,687 times
I also have wide feet and I have to agree that, unfortunately, the internet is the best place to find shoes if you need specialty shoes or have any variation in width. There is not a lot to find in brick and mortar stores today if you need wide widths - they are all relegated online, if they have any in stock at all. I second the Zappos recommendation, and also Amazon, which has free returns as well. I've also bought shoes on HSN and QVC, although they don't have free return shipping. There are also specialty sites like http://www.healthyshoestore.com/ around.

For my sister's wedding, I had to find dyeable shoes to wear - I ordered and sent back like 20 pairs from Amazon before I found a pair that was comfortable. So I definitely agree that it's a pain in the neck! At least the post office now offers free pickup for returns, so that made it a little easier.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:37 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post

Have you tried The Walking Company? They typically have a wide array of sizes from brands that are known for fitting feet that need the comfort of certain features. They're in both the Mall of Millennia and Florida Mall.

The Most Comfortable Shoes On Earth - The Walking Company

Old 02-29-2016, 03:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Thanks!

I wound up going to Clark's of England in the Florida Mall. A terrific experience with good old fashioned service (had my feet measured and lots of possible shoes brought out). I bought a pair of closed shoes Wave Run (soft clogs) and a pair of sandals with velco, adjustable straps. They were both actual wides (not just mediums that "run wide". I am done with that).

Clark's has a 90-day return policy. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying out the Wave Runs and today, finally, I'm convinced I'm going to keep them. I'm going to try the sandals soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando